The "Free Game" Topic

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Re: The "Free Game" Topic

Post by Dohnutt »

commander_fusion wrote:Runescape is a waste of time.

You've stated your opinions, now it's my turn.
Your opinions are a waste of time.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

commander_fusion wrote:Runescape is a waste of time.
Seconded. There's 100's of games .... nay, 1000's of games better.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

My opinions matter very much :P

But seriously, I just don't get Runescape. I made it to lvl 26, and then I thought "Why am I still doing this?" Really, it's just a generic MMORPG with a bunch of "OMGliekIcanhaslolzburger!" kids.
Penguin
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Penguin »

thirded.

Its a good looking JAVA game, creators would have wasted many many hours making and fixing it, but its not interesting, just like every other MMORPG, but with little kiddies who's favourite word is NOOB and spend 4+ hours a day wasting their life, full of bots and scammers, etc [/cutout3hourlongrant]
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Penguin wrote:thirded.

Its a good looking JAVA game, creators would have wasted many many hours making and fixing it, but its not interesting, just like every other MMORPG, but with little kiddies who's favourite word is NOOB and spend 4+ hours a day wasting their life, full of bots and scammers, etc [/cutout3hourlongrant]
Meh. Let's be honest, anything video-game-related is a waste of time. Battlefront 2 modding is a waste of time. Not to say it's not enjoyable. I played RS for about a year, year and a half, and enjoyed it just cause I found a good community (in tip.it forums), just like I've found a nice community in Gametoast.

Not to say I'd go back to it, but I can completely understand people playing it, simply because they've already committed time into it, and most anything, when you've committed time into it, only gets better.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

Ok, I'd just like say some things.
1. Mav's right. Every game is a waste of time.
2. I don't play for "leveling up lol omgawsh". I play for meeting people and being random (woot). Like, you can usually find me standing outside the Varrock bank saying "Selling rare action figures" :P
3. I don't go on 24/7. I go on every now and again. So... when I'm really bored.
crazytieguy
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by crazytieguy »

I play RuneScape responsibly, and since I subscribed to members, there aren't that many bots and scammers (although I do go to free world to report them a bit)..

And it is enjoyable (at least to me) with all the member features. Also, I'm a moderator, and like to report all those rulebreakers that make the game bad..I don't mind people not liking it, but I'm just voicing my opinion.

And you have to admit, it's hard to find a Java game with more or better content..
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

crazytieguy wrote:I play RuneScape responsibly, and since I subscribed to members, there aren't that many bots and scammers (although I do go to free world to report them a bit)..

And it is enjoyable (at least to me) with all the member features. Also, I'm a moderator, and like to report all those rulebreakers that make the game bad..I don't mind people not liking it, but I'm just voicing my opinion.

And you have to admit, it's hard to find a Java game with more or better content..
A mod? WHATZ TEH CROWN 4? U MEMBER?!?!??
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

Yeah? Why can't I be a mod?
I follow all the rules.

BTW, what's with all the new smileys WE'RE TURNING INTO FILEFRONT!
EGG_GUTS
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by EGG_GUTS »

Dohnutt wrote:Yeah? Why can't I be a mod?
I follow all the rules.

BTW, what's with all the new smileys WE'RE TURNING INTO FILEFRONT!
Hey! Let's not turn this into. I SHOULD BE A MOD Forum. Even though I should be one :wink: joking.

And we are turning into filefront. DAM THESE SMILYS!!!!
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

I only log in on Runescape for the holiday events. It used to be fun three years ago, but only because I played it with 16 friends of mine, doing stuff together. The quests are kinda fun too. But I'm not paying for something that looks like that, and it bores soon when you're no member.

And granted, your avarage runescape player is as clever as the nail on my right foots big toe.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

The_Emperor wrote:And granted, your avarage runescape player is as clever as the nail on my right foots big toe.
Verrrrry true.
crazytieguy
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by crazytieguy »

Maveritchell wrote:
crazytieguy wrote:I play RuneScape responsibly, and since I subscribed to members, there aren't that many bots and scammers (although I do go to free world to report them a bit)..

A mod? WHATZ TEH CROWN 4? U MEMBER?!?!??
I actually get asked that question a lot in free worlds. It's one reason why I stay on member worlds.

And a lot of the people you're imitating come through Miniclip. If RuneScape wasn't on Miniclip, where most people who play games there act like that all the time, and most games are 6 months old at the most, a lot of players wouldn't act like that.

Plus, you can't question the wisdom in the self-explanatory "ignore list" feature..

But I'm not going to argue that RuneScape's players are the most mature. I'm arguing that it's hard to find a better free browser-based Java game..
The_Emperor wrote:I only log in on Runescape for the holiday events. It used to be fun three years ago, but only because I played it with 16 friends of mine, doing stuff together. The quests are kinda fun too. But I'm not paying for something that looks like that, and it bores soon when you're no member.

And granted, your avarage runescape player is as clever as the nail on my right foots big toe.
Weekly updates anyone?
Yes, they're members-only, but considering the average person earns about $30000 a year, and membership costs about $60 a year. with those numbers, that's about 0.02% of the money you earn. Not that much if you think about it. 17 cents a day..
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

17cents a day is quite a bit.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

For the money, I definitely agree with you, ctg. I played free for about a year, and then switched to members for almost another, which was infinitely more enjoyable. The world was big enough that you could go somewhere to train that was relatively noob-free, and still have someone to talk to. Plus there are some good member communities, like tip.it.

And yeah, I saw mod friends get asked that a lot, the crown question.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

Yeah, I guess you're right. But I'm still not switching to members. F2P!
Anyways, tiaras rock.
MasterYoda91

Post by MasterYoda91 »

Has anyone here played Archlord, its a free mmorpg by codemasters. 1 gig client you have to download but its very good considering its free, i have a friend on there whos playing it instead of WoW.
Adreniline
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
xbox live or psn: XTIndie

Re:

Post by Adreniline »

Mekko wrote:I'll just add Mount&Blade

http://www.taleworlds.com/

I love this game! its and RPG i think... and a little strategy i think... lol
Interesting that I just found out about this game. Deathrow mentioned to me that it was a fun game, so I gave it a shot.

First impressions: It looked kinda like runescape or something...until I got into a battle

When you fight someone, it is like a 1st/2nd (maybe 3rd?) person view. You can walk around, or ride your horse into battle. The way you swing is determined by which direction you move the mouse while clicking.

It is only free till you get to level six, then you can either start over or buy the game. It is currently considered "beta", but it still is pretty cool.

For a small startup company, they did a fantastic job!

-Adreniline
Kaos4
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Kaos4 »

Here is another free game that I found. It is rated M, so it is quite bloody and gorey. It is called "Rune: Halls of Valhalla Gold". It is pretty much an old 2001 era hack and slash with multiplayer. http://runefiles.info/index.php?dlid=191
MasterSaitek009
Black Sun Slicer

Post by MasterSaitek009 »

Lately I've been playing this game
Diver Down
It's a freeware game made by three people over 5 years.
The graphics are "okay"(think Zelda top-down RPG) but it could be worse considering it's only 256 colors
And the storyline .... :yes:
The story is good enough to make a movie out of.
I just finished it yesterday. It's very complete.
Try it.