The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Post by DeathRow »

This game is incredible.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

DeathRow wrote:This game is incredible.

Understatement of the year.

Level 5 Nord myself.

Oh, giant spider? Crap, hold on, gotta take care of this. Be back later.
Hidden/Spoiler:
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life

Post by DeathRow »

Level 22 Wood Elf hunter/ranger type mate, as I was in Morrowind and Oblivion.
Hidden/Spoiler:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

DeathRow wrote:Level 22 Wood Elf hunter/ranger type mate, as I was in Morrowind and Oblivion.
Hidden/Spoiler:

Nice. :)

Level 6 now. Been playing almost all day now. :lol: Ever since I got it I can't put it down(other than for school and food, screw sleep). I love some small subtle changes they made from Oblivion, like how high you have to fall before you take damage(was very short in Oblivion, it's much better now). I'm loving mineing, smelting, and smithing. Oh, for those Minecraft fans out there, I heard there's a Notched Pickaxe on top of The Throat of the World. I haven't seen it myself yet.

I guess one of the few complaints I have is no horse combat, again. I mean c'mon, people have modded it to work in Oblivion, it has to be possible. I know I'm nitpicking, but no horse combat always bothered me about Oblivion.

Speaking of mods, over one-hundred mods for Skyrim exist already. I'm even using this one and this one.
VF501
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Projects :: Various Stuff- Weapon models. UDK Stuff
Games I'm Playing :: Fallout New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Vintage Tagious

Post by VF501 »

Grinded Enchanting to Lvl 100 with most of its perks.

Enchanting is OP. I never have to use any magicka for Destruction or Conjuration with this set of armor I made. The sword also is uber strong. I can go head on against Sabre Cats and Bears with it, never seems to run out of Enchant energy either.

Big Picture Warning
Hidden/Spoiler:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Hidden/Spoiler:
I'm really going for the rugged hodge podge armor look(I also only use armor and weapons I personally made). Level 9 right now. I'm taking it slow, I don't want to rush the game and be done in a month. Just got married, I'm going to live with her while I get my house furnished. I love all the stuff you can do now! I actually got excited when I cut wood. :funny2: Then there's the epicness of cutting a tree log in half at Riverwood. :P
RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by RED51 »

While I don't plan on getting this anytime some, how much does the game exert its M-Rating?
computergeek
General
General
Projects :: Halo Warthog vehicle for SWBF2
Games I'm Playing :: Bioware RPGs - Halo

Post by computergeek »

RED51 wrote:While I don't plan on getting this anytime some, how much does the game exert its M-Rating?
Violence- Yes (bloody decapitation and other finishing moves at times)
Drugs- Skooma's back
Language- Its not outrageous like other games (Bulletstorm) but its still there

So I'd say probably a mid-range M game
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

computergeek wrote:
RED51 wrote:While I don't plan on getting this anytime some, how much does the game exert its M-Rating?
Violence- Yes (bloody decapitation and other finishing moves at times)
Drugs- Skooma's back
Language- Its not outrageous like other games (Bulletstorm) but its still there

So I'd say probably a mid-range M game

Yeah, that's about it. The Elder Scrolls has always been pretty tame when it came to it's violence, by comparison of course to like, God of War 3. However Skyrim is the most violent up to date. Not too violent, but it can be pretty gruesome(you see a decapitation in the first few minutes of the game, they don't hide anything). I wouldn't let my (theoretical) kids under the age of say, 16-17, play it.

computergeek wrote: Drugs- Skooma's back
I laughed when I killed some bandits and raided their stores only to find some Skooma. Then I went and sold it to Belathor, I guess he really doesn't care what he sells or buys, he seems pretty eager to sell a sister he doesn't have. :lol:
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Level 21 or so with 26 hours in... Its all I dreamed of and more. :D Not really into smithing, enchanting or alchemy. I use the weapons/armor I find(maybe upgrade them)and then go on wandering around, usually without making any quests. Checking the TES wiki every time I find a dungeon and adding stuff is somehow fun, too....

Its awesome that Skyrim constantly has approximately 3 times more players on Steam than MW3.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Level 12 now. I'm a Stormcloak now, I've always been on bad terms with the empire way back to Morrowind. I always felt the empire was too facist, too corrupt. I'm happy to finally be fighting the empire full fledged now.

I died for the first time, you can see my final moments right about here.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I was able to redo it, drink more potions this time. Then stood victor over the dragon.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I freaking love shouts, I use the shout that slows time, like, constantly. Great for hunting, allows you to get that shot on target and kill that elk.
VF501
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by VF501 »

Moar Screenshots
Killing an Elder Dragon
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Crafting can be very powerful.
Base 118 Dmg, rest is from Perk/Armor Bonuses.
Hidden/Spoiler:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Nice one VF501. :)

I always like taking a screenshot of me standing victorious over my latest dragon kill.

A recent favorite of mine.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Today I learned that you can slide down a mountain and then sneak up to a dragon for the dagger attack if you're only wearing a sneak-boosting amulet and your trusty loincloth. Proof: Click! for part 1 and part 2: Click!
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:Sneaky Sneaky Stabby Stabby
:funny2: I almost died laughing.

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't think of ever trying to sneak up on a dragon. *facepalm* Silly me I guess.
VF501
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by VF501 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Nice one VF501. :)

I always like taking a screenshot of me standing victorious over my latest dragon kill.

A recent favorite of mine.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Nice. If you want Dragons aplenty, try fast traveling between Winterhold/College and Falkreath allot. Those seem to get tons of Dragons. Had to reload onetime because I got ambushed by an Elder and a Blood Dragon, then I accidentally aggro'd the town guards with a shout. :P

By the way, if your Video Card has a 1GB VRAM Frame buffer, try up the textures only to high. It'll make the game look tons better with very small performance impact. You could also try the .ini tweak to enable land and tree shadows, which also don't take up allot in performance and make the game look allot better.

My major problem with the game though is the UI and how it interacts with the mouse. It doesn't always catch the input correctly and causes problems. The lack of inventory/container categories like Fallout 3/NV has it also annoying. However I did try playing this with a Xbox360 controller, and I can say the UI works wonderfully with it. I did install a UI mod that was released though, that removes locations from the topbar compass. Makes exploring the land more immersive without icons to guide you.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

VF501 wrote:By the way, if your Video Card has a 1GB VRAM Frame buffer, try up the textures only to high. It'll make the game look tons better with very small performance impact. You could also try the .ini tweak to enable land and tree shadows, which also don't take up allot in performance and make the game look allot better.

Sadly I can barely play it as is. I usually have the textures set to medium, but I had to lower them during a period of nasty lag and then forgot to turn them back on. I'm just grateful I can play it at all, I was worried the game would fry my PC(it's just a small laptop, or notebook I should say). Usually I get no lag, unless there's a lot on the screen, like during the taking of Whiterun, I lagged like mad.

Also, agreed on the UI. I feel like I'm moving the cursor through tar at times.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I love the way the UI looks. I don't see why it's getting such a bad rap; all the other UI mods/ideas just look either the same to me or worse. The mouse detection does suck, though, which is obnoxious.
Also, about Winterhold and dragons... Well, the college has 4 skeletons in the courtyard now, and if a new one comes, they've gone from making me fight them alone from having the whole dang college out there. Except J'Zargo, I can never find him there until I go into my room and hear him say something after I clean out my inventory.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:I love the way the UI looks. I don't see why it's getting such a bad rap; all the other UI mods/ideas just look either the same to me or worse. The mouse detection does suck, though, which is obnoxious.

I concur. It looks fantastic, just the mouse detection sucks.

A side note: Do not have your wife in a town you're about to attack. I attacked Whiterun, and my wife, courageous as she is even though she has no armor and only a single steel dagger, ran out of our home and died in literally 3 seconds. I decided to back up in my saves, save up some cash, and buy a house somewhere else for her to stay while I attack Whiterun.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Hidden/Spoiler:
The idea behind the UI is pretty good. Some sort of less is more approach. Its too much 'less' though IMO. I wanna be able to very quickly see what I wear/which weapon I have equipped and my character(gives me info about which armor I wear/how the stuff I wear looks). The items/spells being rendered is nice, too, but does it honestly have to take up 70% of my screen? This space could be used for other, useful info. And why does the inventory/magic list start at the bottom of the screen when all its items could easily be displayed without me having to scroll to get to food/books etc? Its not breaking anything or making the game any worse(well, maybe 98/100) but this appears to be easily fixable.