PSP 2

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

computergeek
General
General
Projects :: Halo Warthog vehicle for SWBF2
Games I'm Playing :: Bioware RPGs - Halo
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

PSP 2

Post by computergeek »

So it has actually been announced that there would be a PSP 2, here's the Kotaku article

I for one am glad that they are finally putting in dual analog sticks. :D
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Re: PSP 2

Post by giftheck »

Well, PSP2 rumours have been flying around for some time now. There was a patent though that added dual analog sticks to PSP1, so I'm wondering if software will be released universally for both, at least to begin with. It's supposed to be much more powerful too.

EDIT
It's official - the successor to the PSP has been announced. It's also to go by a different name - it's now known as the "Next Generation Portable".

Tech specs:
Hidden/Spoiler:
CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
GPU: SGX543MP4+
External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Screen: (Touch screen) 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED, Multi touch screen (capacitive type), Rear touch pad, Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons (+/-)
Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1) (Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)
Early details can be found here

Great to see some features in there that can make it compete better with the 3DS - touch screen, dual analog sticks (which should have been there from the start), sad to see the removal of the UMD drive though, it means all future releases will be digital-download only, and especially regarding the EU store, that's not a great sign.
Evman
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: Kamino part 1 orbital attack
Games I'm Playing :: Halo Reach
xbox live or psn: GamerXEv

Post by Evman »

Not sure if i want it yet. Im buying the 3DS though.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

I'm all invested into the 3DS because I love nintendo, but the NPG has a lot going for it:
-Touchscreen
-dual analog sticks
-Epic's support (meaning that the Unreal Engine will probably work on the NPG)

Sony seems invested in bringing a console into handheld form. But with the dual analog sticks and the touchscreen Sony may be trying to cater to too many bases, and it'd be interesting to see where Sony takes this: a casual handheld more akin to the iPhone or a portable console for the hardcore.