Battlefield 3 Discussion [Finally RELEASED!]

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Re: Finally, Battlefield 3

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

You know a game's good when it's extremely buggy beta is one of the best MP experiences you've ever played. I personally don't care about stuff like launching from Battlelog, having to have origin running, and only being able to play on Medium with a constant framerate, because all in all the gameplay is just epic. I only have a couple of gripes with it, none of which are really worth mentioning except that I can't defib people. I don't know if it's just not working or if they're rejecting it, I think if they reject the defib you should be notified.
Marvel4
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Marvel4s BF1 Conversion Pack + Era Mod

Post by Marvel4 »

I love sniping in this game. Just had a match without any deaths. :D
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

DICE needs to do something about the Russians staying in Attacker deploy once the subway opens up. I spent like a good amount of time just trying to wipe out all enemies in that area and try to stop them from spawn camping the whole match. Didn't work. I don't care if it's an anti Russian nuke or whatever reason, DICE should find a way for them to not stay in that area for long.

I had some other gripes, but I forgot them. Must have been minor or questionable due to my acts.

Besides that I'm loving the beta. Feels more like a battlefield game than Bad Company.

EDIT: Remembered one of my minor gripes. The black screen when you spawn on squadmates appears on screen too long in my opinion. Alot happens and changes in the time from last glimpse of your squadmate and when you get in. I'm thinking they should just remove it completely.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:You know a game's good when it's extremely buggy beta is one of the best MP experiences you've ever played.
:D Agreed. Going prone and then reviving usually works for me. Makes you feel like a movie star, too.

The glint from the sniper scopes is alright. The light could be towned down a bit, or let it make a different effect. Not just plainly lightening up your screen but maybe more like flashbangs or something. I dont really care though, its similar to sniper one shots, rockets at infantry etc. If Im able to and use it well, its not that bad. Ive killed so many people(even groups of 4-5) with my pistol in a corridor because none of them knew where to shoot.
The laser sight is useless IMO, the accuracy it gains you isnt really worth the higher chance of being noticed by your enemies.
Having to switch your health pack for the grenade launcher is something I dont like. Id have to give up one of my accessories slots AND the health pack for the attached GL. Thats too much although its nice to have the option to use it un-attached.
Id like to be able to unlock attachments for my guns at least for groups of guns(like non-bullpup rifles)and not just for one.
Another thing is the interaction with your allies. I so often got pushed into enemy fire or away from the line I wanted so set fire to... TF2 still has the best interaction between allies.
And I wanna be able to quit and edit the options whenever I want to.
Weapons feel great, movement feels good, everything looks good, Origin and Battlelog arent that bad(I like all the stats stuff and parties etc). There are still many small bugs(especially in hit-detection(especially with shotguns(especially with one-shot kills))), but even without vehicles definitely worth the preorder(I think)! We should totally play together as GT in the next days.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

ANDEWEGET wrote:
Fluffy_the_ic wrote:You know a game's good when it's extremely buggy beta is one of the best MP experiences you've ever played.
:D Agreed. Going prone and then reviving usually works for me. Makes you feel like a movie star, too.

The glint from the sniper scopes is alright. The light could be towned down a bit, or let it make a different effect. Not just plainly lightening up your screen but maybe more like flashbangs or something. I dont really care though, its similar to sniper one shots, rockets at infantry etc. If Im able to and use it well, its not that bad. Ive killed so many people(even groups of 4-5) with my pistol in a corridor because none of them knew where to shoot.
The laser sight is useless IMO, the accuracy it gains you isnt really worth the higher chance of being noticed by your enemies.
Having to switch your health pack for the grenade launcher is something I dont like. Id have to give up one of my accessories slots AND the health pack for the attached GL. Thats too much although its nice to have the option to use it un-attached.
Id like to be able to unlock attachments for my guns at least for groups of guns(like non-bullpup rifles)and not just for one.
Another thing is the interaction with your allies. I so often got pushed into enemy fire or away from the line I wanted so set fire to... TF2 still has the best interaction between allies.
And I wanna be able to quit and edit the options whenever I want to.
Weapons feel great, movement feels good, everything looks good, Origin and Battlelog arent that bad(I like all the stats stuff and parties etc). There are still many small bugs(especially in hit-detection(especially with shotguns(especially with one-shot kills))), but even without vehicles definitely worth the preorder(I think)! We should totally play together as GT in the next days.
This. 10000% of it. The laser pointer is more of fooling around more than the flashlight since your screen turns red when it's on you.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I liked battlelog, but then my friends and I tried getting into a game together and in the same squad. It was borderline impossible. DICE really needs to either add the ingame squad options back, make it so you can set up a squad in battlelog, or both.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Or how about just build on the squad system of BC2? Like seriously why can't I choose my own squad and see the others. And yes DICE needs to work on the whole getting a party in the game properly.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Moving_Target wrote:Or how about just build on the squad system of BC2? Like seriously why can't I choose my own squad and see the others. And yes DICE needs to work on the whole getting a party in the game properly.
Well, that's what I meant. If they had a squad system where you could build your squad in Battlelog I'd be fine with that, but they need to add the ability to mess with your squad ingame.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

With just 2 people in your party joining is working alright. I dont know for sure but I believe it said somewhere that the current squad system is just beta squad system and not the final. The squad commander doesnt have any function yet either(or I cant use it).
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

I hope you're right about squads, as according to zh1nt0 the Global CM it's only in battlelog, unless I've misinterpreted what he said here:

twitter:
TRansfersmania Jonathan dugdale
@zh1nt0 can u guarantee that squad the systems will fixed for the full game? I.e voice chat and the constant splitting of squad? Thank

@zh1nt0
Daniel Matros
@TRansfersmania Voice chat and squadding will be on the battlelog side of things
Maybe it will be a combination of ingame and battlelog but I think the system that BF2 has would be preferable.
Last edited by Jendo7 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Well if it is on the battebook side of things, then they roll that out faster. Could be a good thing.

EDIT: UGH DICE why do I have to wait to spawn to be able to press esc and get out.
acryptozoo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Yavin Mappack
Games I'm Playing :: Homeworld 2
xbox live or psn: acryptozoo

Post by acryptozoo »

you know a game's good when it's extremely buggy beta is one of the best MP experiences you've ever played
QFT
been playing the beta for awhile now and i cant wait for the full release
everything feels great ingame, and its always fun blinding people with my light :)
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Moving_Target wrote:UGH DICE why do I have to wait to spawn to be able to press esc and get out.
Alt+tab out and then on battlelog you have the option to close the game. I love that you can close it while alt+tabbed.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Just read that Caspian Border will be up on the(some?) beta servers this weekend. Might be interesting for some.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Turns out that we DO get Ingame squad management on the PC :D
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Caspian Border is glorious and soo much fun. TheCaptainJim and I teamed and just had a blast. CB is what battlefield is about. It's just so much and great. Metro doesn't show off that well.

I believe I'm now friends with majority of GTers.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I wish I could play Caspian well, but all of the servers are super laggy and my framerate peaks at about 25. In the bases.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Really? Odd, we had really smooth gameplay when we played.

NJ GameServers.com #4632 was the server. If it's still up try it. I'm in the maryland area so maybe that's why I got decent gameplay.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I'm a little west of detroit and I was playing in a Chicago-based server, but then I realized my graphics were on their Operation Metro settings, which was all high except shadows and filtering, so I turned it to low and it got a lot better. I need to learn to fly jets better, hehe. :P
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

I agree Caspian Border is a blast!

I enjoyed flying the jets but I just hope the missile unlocks improve them more because at the moment there a bit useless against ground targets.

Also found some gameplay footage of two new maps:

Battlefield 3: Operation Firestorm Commentary

Battlefield 3: Grand Bazaar Commentary