Most Difficult Games

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ping
Sith
Sith

Most Difficult Games

Post by Ping »

Ever played a game that was so hard that you just want to throw the thing out the window and scream towards the sky? List them here.

F-Zero GX: Honestly, Story mode is just too hard to actually enjoy, though you do feel a sense of accomplishment after you've beaten a level. What makes it even more frustrating is that to unlock more racers and parts, you need to beat Story on Hard and Very Hard, and the "Easy" level was already hard to begin with. Grand Prix mode is tons easier, but once you get to Master difficulty, you'll probably throw a fit.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link: Could never kill Iron Kunckles easily, and I got owned by the first boss. The enemies also take away alot of health, but being an old game, the difficulty ought to expected. Doesn't change the fact that you have to be very good to get through it, though.

Half Life: Opposing Force: This game's easier than the two listed above, though there are parts where you will inevitably have very low health and need to conserve ammo, and there's no health dispenser or package in sight. TBH, was actually refreshing to get a bit of a challenge, as I've found alot of FPS games to be too easy.

Napoleon: Total War: I don't know if this is just me or not, but I found the learning curve on this game to be rather high. The first two campaigns need a bit of practice to get the hang of, and I felt at some points that you pretty much had to be Napoleon to have the odds stacked in your favor. Navy battles are also difficult, but judging by the reviews, I don't think it was due to the difficulty level.
computergeek
General
General
Projects :: Halo Warthog vehicle for SWBF2
Games I'm Playing :: Bioware RPGs - Halo
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Most Difficult Games

Post by computergeek »

Battle Toads.... You just didn't know exactly what to do at exactly what time, and since that is the main part of the game... it was rather hard.

Also I'm really bad at Mario, I always seem to miscalculate my jumps and die from pits/goombas/koopas/whatever else, though this is just a personal problem.

EDIT

Forgot Superman 64... I can't get past the first part of this game, the annoying flying controls + rings to fly through + a time limit= hard. Once again this may be a personal problem, as one of my friends got to the 4th or 5th part of the first level with no difficulty whatsoever. Then again he is good at video games
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

The Impossible Game

'Nuff Said.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I Wanna Be the Guy: When it happens you'll know.

Mario Bros. 2/Lost Levels: "I'm not even good at the normal game why are there poison mushrooms and wind?!"

Halo 2 (Legendary Difficulty): Anyone who thinks that they can handle this because they beat Halo 3, ODST, or Reach have no idea what they are dealing with.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Gosh, that's a difficult question to answer cuz I've always done campaigns on Normal and rarely any higher than that.

I guess I would have to say that some parts of HAWX 2. Only because I've been stuck on this part of the campaign where you have to blow up some bridges in F-22s and I have no idea how blow them up. They don't tell me how to operate the weapons system to drop the bombs.

Other than that, I really can't think of any other really hard games.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

Fusion wrote:I Wanna Be the Guy: When it happens you'll know.
Yes.

Also, Super Meat Boy. The game itself is pretty hard, but the fact that there's a level of perfection to it makes it even worse.

And the old Super Mario Bros platformers are always worthy of mention.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

I don't know about what Ping said about Napoleon: TW, because I don't have it, but I found the Rome and Empire campaigns to be very challenging simply because it seems that no matter how well you do initially, you will always be faced with going bankrupt or being overrun by enemy forces. Typically, I go with the bankrupt approach, but when you're out of money too long, the other is inevitable. I did actually win the campaign twice though, once as the Dutch and once as the Russians; with the Dutch I was able to keep my economy afloat thanks to my massive trade fleets and with the Russians I was able to somehow keep taxes pretty high in all of my massive empire (It stretched from Prussia to North Africa to India) so I had decent income; even still there were 5 or 6 turn droughts where I was inexplicably in the red, then it just popped back up to normal without me doing anything.

Well there's the wall of text about that.

I also have to say that the original Assassin's Creed was fairly difficult. They ended up making the combat significantly easier in the second two, while actually making it more fun as well.
Lephenix

Post by Lephenix »

A guy do french reviews of old video games , and if i remember right there was :

Ninja turtles on NES
The schtroumfs on SEGA Megadrive
Last edited by Lephenix on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Fusion wrote:
Halo 2 (Legendary Difficulty): Anyone who thinks that they can handle this because they beat Halo 3, ODST, or Reach have no idea what they are dealing with.
HALO: Combat Evolved. Maybe I just wasn't as good at FPS as I am now, but I hated the game for a number of years because I couldn't beat the first level. When I got back, I eventually beat it, and loved it, but dang, some parts of that game were really hard, either due to the number of enemies or just level design (coughthelibrarycough).
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

QWOP. Try playing it, holy crap.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Grev wrote:HALO: Combat Evolved. Maybe I just wasn't as good at FPS as I am now, but I hated the game for a number of years because I couldn't beat the first level. When I got back, I eventually beat it, and loved it, but dang, some parts of that game were really hard, either due to the number of enemies or just level design (coughthelibrarycough).
Indeed, I'm sure I have gone over this before in some other random thread in these forums, but yeah... tight corridors that are difficult to navigate + enemies with rocket launchers = pure frustration. I really hate the indoor levels in that game. Halo 2 is cool, though.

I may return with a short list of my own later. I do remember feeling frustrated and angry with a lot of games, I just can't seem to put them together in order.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Grev wrote:HALO: Combat Evolved. Maybe I just wasn't as good at FPS as I am now, but I hated the game for a number of years because I couldn't beat the first level. When I got back, I eventually beat it, and loved it, but dang, some parts of that game were really hard, either due to the number of enemies or just level design (coughthelibrarycough).
Funny, I always thought it was too easy, with the exception of the library.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

The toughest game for me would have to be Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge on the Super NES: Sure, disarming the bombs as Spiderman in the first level wasn't that hard, but what came afterwards was horrendous! The lack of saves and few 1-Ups made it really difficult. I like the premise of the game and all, but up until this day, I haven't been able to beat any of the other characters' levels, except for one time when I was around ten when I was able to beat Apocalypse in the first Wolverine level. But it was only that one time!
Labj
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Halo 4
xbox live or psn: SiulS2409

Post by Labj »

For me, there are some:

MW2 (the Spec Ops in veteran and juggernauts its really hard)
Halo 3 on mythic -------------------------------I
Halo 3: ODST on mythic--------------- Its just annoying
Halo Reach on mythic--------------------------I
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

Labj wrote:MW2 (the Spec Ops in veteran and juggernauts its really hard)
Haha, I was gonna mention that too. Me and a friend have been trying to complete all of them, but there's two that we just can't finish on veteran. It really is pretty darn annoying.

Oh, and I've been playing Crysis 2 on Normal and it's been pretty annoying at times (Especially without saves...) so I can only imagine how difficult it is on the very hard difficulty.
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

Fusion wrote:Halo 2 (Legendary Difficulty): Anyone who thinks that they can handle this because they beat Halo 3, ODST, or Reach have no idea what they are dealing with.
Q F Friggin' T. That was just ridiculous. I'm gonna go with this as my vote, at least until I can think of something else, which I feel like I'm forgetting..

As for the MW2 Spec Ops mission in the final tier, they weren't that bad. You know, once you figured out certain tactics (i.e. Juggernauts can't get past someone who goes down in a doorway... just sayin').
Evman
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: Kamino part 1 orbital attack
Games I'm Playing :: Halo Reach
xbox live or psn: GamerXEv

Post by Evman »

Kid icarus (virtual console)- You die way to fast and worst of all is the eggplant dudes. when they get you you turn into an eggplant and have to go back through the whole level to the doctor! I normally just comit suicide when that happens

Frogger ancient shadow (gamecube)- It would be easy if the controls on the d-pad actualy worked. like a lot of times when i hit up it will go up then left right in to the pond.

metroid (virtual console)- Dont know why, but this game was always hard for me. then again i dont like 2-d shooters because of aiming.
Labj
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Halo 4
xbox live or psn: SiulS2409

Post by Labj »

Fusion wrote:Halo 2 (Legendary Difficulty): Anyone who thinks that they can handle this because they beat Halo 3, ODST, or Reach have no idea what they are dealing with.
I remember that... when i tried to complete the first mission on legendary, i always got killed by the first elite on the blown door... How about the juggernaut flood on legendary....?
Raptor522 wrote:
As for the MW2 Spec Ops mission in the final tier, they weren't that bad. You know, once you figured out certain tactics (i.e. Juggernauts can't get past someone who goes down in a doorway... just sayin').
Well, actually, The one on the Boneyard is very hard, since juggernauts are infinite... and while you snipe the guys, they come from backwards.

Wetworkd was also hard, i remember i once won, and lost and the same time, i missed a guy on the last room, and started shooting like crazy, and killed him, the Mission complete thing was there, and i didnt stop shooting, and blew up the place...
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Labj wrote:
I remember that... when i tried to complete the first mission on legendary, i always got killed by the first elite on the blown door... How about the juggernaut flood on legendary....?
Seeing as there is no current way to fight them as they were intended (driving in a vehicle, on Quarantine Zone), I can't tell you how I feel about them. If I ever decide to get into Halo 2 PC modding I'll try to put them in the right place, but fighting them as Master Chief on Gravemind really doesn't count.

Oh, and Metroid Zero Mission's Hard mode turns out to be one of the most difficult things on a Nintendo system. Ridley does not die.
RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by RED51 »

Fusion wrote:
Labj wrote:
Seeing as there is no current way to fight them as they were intended (driving in a vehicle, on Quarantine Zone), I can't tell you how I feel about them. If I ever decide to get into Halo 2 PC modding I'll try to put them in the right place, but fighting them as Master Chief on Gravemind really doesn't count.

Oh, and Metroid Zero Mission's Hard mode turns out to be one of the most difficult things on a Nintendo system. Ridley does not die.
Oh he does die after at least a few thousand or so super missiles... and a lot of luck. Sith spit, I miss that game... I lost it a few years ago... It was such great game...