Mass Effect 3 (2012)

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Re: Mass Effect 3 (2012)

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Darn, I was really hoping he'd be Conrad. :(
Now, Bioware, give us some Garrus and Tali info pl0x.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

I'm excited to see what Conard does. Maybe he'll be like a big hero on Earth after all this ends.

I really really like Vega's back story. I think they changed it because of Anderson, Sanders. I don't know. Maybe not. But those two names were clashing in my head.

Nah, Miranda has her own unique face. That of yvonne strahovski. Knew it right away. I do like Ash's new hair style. Although, I'd still leave her on Virmire almost every time.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I just leave whichever one my Shepard can't romance on Virmire, although on my Conrad playthrough I did leave Ashley because Conrad needed more than just Garrus and Conrad to bromance with. Don't get me wrong, though. If it were an option, I'd leave them both.
I also hope that they still have an ME1-style mission list. I hated how there were only about 20-30 sidemissions in ME2, and I feel like ME2 would have been even better (if that were possible) had there been as many as in ME1.
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

I also look forward to seeing Conrad again. I'd really love for him to actually do something awesome in ME3, as opposed to being a whiny little fanboy.

I'm gonna be honest, there's a really good chance I'm gonna go through ME3 with Garrus and Ashley as my squadmates most of the time, much like I did in ME1. I liked having the straight-up soldier and the soldier/engineer hybrid (to loot stuff :D), plus I liked them as characters.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Same. If Bioware has kept Conrad in this long, he has to be big some how in the 3rd.

I actually don't know how many sidemissions we will see, given the universe is coming to an end. But you never know.

I always rolled Wrex/Garrus in ME1. Occasionally Liara/Wrex. I go more personality over skills. I just vanguard up in people's faces and melee/shotgun the crap out of them. In 2, since there were 12 squadmates, no clue. It always changed. Normally went Garrus/Grunt. Or Zaeed, since Garrus and him have the same powers. Legion/Mordin. ME2 really had you switching it up alot.
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

One thing they could do, as far as sidequests go, would be to do something similar to how Fable III's overall campaign worked; in Fable III, the first half/part of it was gaining support and power and whatnot in order to overthrow the king and take the throne, and then the second half/part was to prepare the kingdom for "the darkness to come" (in the interest of avoiding spoilers, in case anyone cares). Some side missions could only be done in the first phase, some in either phase, and some only in the endgame, after the main story is complete. I could totally see ME3 doing something similar: having side missions which may or may not help in defeating the Reapers, which would of course only be available before doing so; some not necessarily relevant to the main story which could be done whenever, and then some after defeating the reapers which would continue/wrap up/whatever other stories, such as how the different races are recovering and stuff like that.

I imagine they'll have a little of that going on, but probably not as much emphasis on the different "phases" as Fable III had to make 'em feel like two different campaigns. Bioware has already stated that "New Game+" will be some mix of ME1 & ME2's, meaning you can either go ahead and start a new campaign with your Shepard or keep going and finish up whatever you have left to do. Especially since it's the last game in the story arc, you know they're gonna have at least some endgame side missions. And considering how wildly different everyone's endings could potentially be, said missions could be just as different. I'm interested to see how that goes.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

That's a huge possibility. I think I should change my definition of side mission. Normally I picture this: Hey Shepard! Can you pick up my laundry. It's right across the street. 20 yards from us.

Just like stupid errand boy side missions.

Speaking of endgame. What are the chances of DLC? Like story dlc, not skins or weapons. By the way, I hope the geth shotgun is in 3.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

Maybe it was just me, but I preferred ME2's little N7 missions to ME1's sidequests. In ME1 it was, more or less, "land on a planet, kill something with the Mako, then run into room and slaughter everyone." In ME2, once you scan the planet and touch down, you could actually get something really cool. I particularly remember a three-mission sequence which didn't have much combat but played like an investigation, and a foray into an Alliance Javelin missle base that had an impressive moral choice at the end. I hope ME3's side missions will incline more towards ME2-style than ME1.

And I liked Liara's LotSB armor better. :(
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

Moving_Target wrote:That's a huge possibility. I think I should change my definition of side mission. Normally I picture this: Hey Shepard! Can you pick up my laundry. It's right across the street. 20 yards from us.
That's the best description I've ever heard. lol I know what you mean, I'm just hoping they'll go farther with side missions in ME3.

@ Fiodis: Yeah, a lot of ME1's side missions did follow that template. Though personally, for the sake of variety, I wouldn't mind some of each.

Aside from the lack of the Mako, ME2's missions all felt more... linear. ME1 had me convinced that the levels I was playing were part of a much larger playing field, I was just covering a little part of it because of my mission. Like Feros or Eden Prime. ME2 just felt a lot more linear to me. I donno if it's because ME2 leaned more toward being a Shooter than RPG than the first game, but there was very little off the main path for players to find. I'm not really a fan of that. I think that's part of what made the first one so great, was that you could just wander around the levels or the galaxy and find little characters and back-stories and whatnot from which you could learn more about the ME universe. That ability to go in-depth. I loved it.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Haha thanks Raptor.

I agree with both you guys' statements. I loved driving in the mako on the moon. Just felt right.

I felt that the set up for most of the side missions were pretty good, but Bioware never pushed them to be awesome. Take for example, Garrus's hunting of that demented Doctor. In the end you just go to a ship in space, kill a few dudes, then one quick conversation, and bam, kill the doc, and leave. I felt it could have been fleshed out more.

Bioware definitely made things more linear in 2. Why? Maybe it was because they were shooting more for a shooter. But it worked. You spent so much time already with talking, and story, cutting down on some exploration helped it from being a 100 hour game.

Although the linear levels were larger and longer than what would have been if it was more free roam. Take the first Bad Company game. DICE took their multiplayer maps and added a story. It kinda worked, but then you realize you could avoid all fighting by driving around the enemies and hit the checkpoint. Haha.

@Fiodis: What were the names for those missions? The only one that comes to mind is Firewalker. And don't worry, that justicar one is a preorder, probably later dlc. And they'll be fixing it as time goes on. Casey Hudson said they were tweeking Ash's armour.
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

I love how you brought up the Bad Company games. I almost did, but decided not to, wasn't sure if my point would translate well. XD But you're exactly right, BC1's singleplayer on hard was basically a multiplayer game against a half retarded team. But I even thought just exploring those maps was fun. (And, throwing it out there, all of BC1's multiplayer maps were excellently made, I loved every single one).

I guess I can't really complain much either way. Linear and less-linear designs both have their places and perks, and the ME games have worked well with both. The linear main story missions worked very well and the more open side missions were great fun in the first, but having all missions in the game be one or the other may not be the best choice.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Hahah excellent. I agree with your Bad Company paragraph.

In the end the varying levels of linearity work for each game seperately. Ya. I'd love to go more than 2 each rooms down a corridor exploring, but some levels it was ended. And sometimes I just wanted to get to the next story section.

EDIT: They released a new picture of Vega.

http://twitpic.com/5qpw1b
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

Moving_Target wrote:@Fiodis: What were the names for those missions? The only one that comes to mind is Firewalker. And don't worry, that justicar one is a preorder, probably later dlc.
Well, I breathe a sigh of relief. I do not want to see Liara become a Justicar.

As for the missions, I would recommend scanning every single planet in every single system in the galaxy. It's time-consuming but occasionally worth it. Took me maybe three hours. You learn some really interesting things, though, from the planet descriptions.

If you don't want to go looking for them, here are the starting points for the couple I mentioned:
Hidden/Spoiler:
1) Three-mission investigation series: Neith, Amun System, Eagle Nebula
2) Another three-mission series I didn't find as fun as the first: Joab, Enoch System, Rosetta Nebula
3) Javelin Missile Base: Franklin, Skepsis System, Sigurd's Cradle (Becomes available after you play the first two missions of #2)
Enjoy.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Liara becoming a justicar just doesn't fit. It's too much of a rapid change of character. First the shy, quiet archaeologist, then a harsh information broker, then justicar. Well if the war pushes her that far I guess, but doesn't fit. And it's not like becoming a justicar will be an ace in the hole to fight off the reapers.
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

I did read somewhere that Liar has left being the Shadow Broker in order to help Shepard out, but I seriously doubt that means she became a justicar. Like you said, it's probably just a DLC skin.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Think Liara left her friend incharge?

Also Comi-Con tomorrow.
RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by RED51 »

Anyone else hoping for more bosses that behave more like, well, bosses, instead of buffed up enemies?
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Moving_Target wrote:Hahah excellent. I agree with your Bad Company paragraph.

In the end the varying levels of linearity work for each game seperately. Ya. I'd love to go more than 2 each rooms down a corridor exploring, but some levels it was ended. And sometimes I just wanted to get to the next story section.

EDIT: They released a new picture of Vega.

http://twitpic.com/5qpw1b
Vega looks like a total Jersey bro. FIST-BUMP MAAAAAAAN!
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

Dude, I hope so. They'd better make Spray-On Orange a skin color in ME3 or I'm gonna be so pissed. (Though at this rate, I'll just mod it that way. lol) That would be so totally bro-alicious.
RED51 wrote:Anyone else hoping for more bosses that behave more like, well, bosses, instead of buffed up enemies?
That's definitely one of the relatively little things that I feel would go a long way, and I kinda got the impression from some of ME2's DLC that they're improving a lot of these things. For example, the Shadow Broker himself was on his way to feeling like an actual boss fight. More so than the friggin' Terminator Reaper thing, in my opinion. Probably just because it had stages, but still, it's something.

*The lights dim slightly as it becomes apparent Raptor is about to ramble*

Another thing that's probably just a personal peeve of mine, I wish the squad-base action would be more, how to say it, squad based. Story-wise, they're supposedly the best the galaxy has to offer you; gameplay-wise, they're a couple of lemmings following you around, popping off rounds for show. The only real difference they make is in the ability menu, when you wanna use their biotics/tech/powers. They're just power wheel extensions.

The physical squadmates themselves are most useful as distractions or something, as opposed to strong allies who have your back and can deal some serious damage. May as well be generic mall cops following you into battle. While I realize that some characters rely on their powers instead of guns, I feel like the rest, especially people like Ashley, Garrus, Wrex, Grunt, Zaeed, and those soldier types, should pack a real punch in a straight-up gunfight. The closest I get in ME2 is arming Garrus and Zaeed or Thane with M-29 Incisors with ammo mods, in which case they can actually be useful.

But on top of just dealing decent damage, I wish they were smarter in combat, and/or the player would be encouraged to actually utilize them as physical assets, not just armed lemmings. For example, once I arm of Garrus & Zaeed/Thane as I stated above, on my Soldier & Infiltrator characters, I'll always direct them to a specific location for cover. Sometimes we'll make a stand together, sometimes they'll take one side and I'll take another, and sometimes they'll hold their ground or make a push while I snipe the opposition from the back. You know, actual team tactics. It's hard when only a few can be much use with their weapons, but I still find it to be satisfying.

I'll leave that at that for now. But another thing I wanna add, is that I'd like to see more moves that do things other than directly deal damage, or at least do so more creatively. AI Hacking is great when leveled up, Neural Shock is nifty, and Kasumi's Shadow Strike is incredibly fun. I donno, I don't really have much to say here, I just like moves that switch it up. Although, from what I'm hearing, this won't be a problem at all in ME3. :D
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

I do agree seeing more personality in the characters during combat would be great. I'd rather hear them screaming repeatedly "Enemies everywhere!" than from the enemies themselves.

As much as I agree with having the squad mates do more than just be mindless drones for you to control, I love treating them that way so I can swoop in and finish the baddies off.

Shadow Broker boss battle was great. I actually wish it was a QT event. I died like 6 times on normal....because it took me a few times to place my cain shot perfect. I really did like his battle. Hope they repeat and expand on it in 3.

The terminator was silly stupid.