Multiplayer-gaming dangerous or not?

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Herrmann
Private Third Class
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF BF2 BFBC2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Multiplayer-gaming dangerous or not?

Post by Herrmann »

Hey,
I'm playing BFBC2 online, means in multiplayer mode and and some peaople ain't really convinced of multiplayer gaming, cos it could be dangerous or inflict damage to their computers. What do you think? Is multiplayer gaming really that dangerous, or is it just panicmongering. And if so, what can really happen to your computer?
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Multiplayer-gaming dangerous or not?

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I have never heard of a single account of anyone's computer becoming damaged from playing online.
Dont listen to the trolls telling you it isnt safe, go play multiplayer and have some fun. I dont even see how it could ever hurt your computer :lol:
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

There are things you can do with some games, like certain ENBSeries settings with GTA IV for example, that when used can/will eventually cause damage to your computer, usually because of causing overheating. But just playing multiplayer... no, not at all.

I'm curious, where did you read/hear/find this?
Herrmann
Private Third Class

Post by Herrmann »

Just some [censored] were making trouble bout this. I mean, I couldn't imagine either that it could hurt my computer but they just didn't wanna confess they're wrong.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

The only thing even remotely dangerous about BFBC2 is that it's not a very stable engine. At most, you'll get a few crashes to desktop (even on consoles), but it's not going to set your computer on fire or cause your monitor to form some sort of ungodly symbol that spawns a demon that takes the form of Carrot Top.

Also, the last people you should listen to are people who are in your server. They lie. All the time.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Fusion wrote:The only thing even remotely dangerous about BFBC2 is that it's not a very stable engine. At most, you'll get a few crashes to desktop (even on consoles), but it's not going to set your computer on fire or cause your monitor to form some sort of ungodly symbol that spawns a demon that takes the form of Carrot Top.

Also, the last people you should listen to are people who are in your server. They lie. All the time.
I concur :plokoon: :lol:

People love to lie and make you worried for no reason, I had one guy tell me I shouldn't ever empty my recycle bin after an update or I could wipe my HDD or something like that, they love to lie out of their behind.
Herrmann
Private Third Class

Post by Herrmann »

Fusion wrote:The only thing even remotely dangerous about BFBC2 is that it's not a very stable engine. At most, you'll get a few crashes to desktop (even on consoles), but it's not going to set your computer on fire or cause your monitor to form some sort of ungodly symbol that spawns a demon that takes the form of Carrot Top.

Well the babbling of these people ain't really bothering me, I know that's just bull...t, but I#m having some trouble with my engine. It crashes and the bluescreen reports errors like: bad_pool_header or irql_not_less_or_equal. Now since that really sucks I gotta detect the problem somehow and someone just said: Yeah certainly that's beacuse of your multyplayer gaming thingy. And I was like: WHAT??? :shock: Don't bulls..t me .

So thast the reason why I'm asking you this, is that I simply wanted to exclude a possible error source.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

I got the IRQL error on a bluescreen awhile back, but that was because of hard drive problems. I suppose it could've been from multiplayer gaming, but it could've been from lots of other reasons as well.

As for whether multiplayer gaming is dangerous to your computer, I'd say it's just as dangerous as surfing the net, if not less so. There are occasions where a server could have you download malicious files, but in a mainstream game like BC2 that possibility is fairly low, if not non-existent.
Herrmann
Private Third Class

Post by Herrmann »

Yeah I guess in my case it is linked up with my hard drive, cos I've sent my computer in for repairs and they replaceed my hard drive, although my disk drive and my graphics were damaged,
and well I think they simply haven't done it properly. I also used CHKDSK to detect or repair damaged sectors on my hard drive, but without success. It's just that Diet Dr. Pepper Vista that annoys me.
1FGR1NightGhost
Don't feed the troll (that's me)
Projects :: Bornesia Kastarian Docks
Games I'm Playing :: swbf2

Post by 1FGR1NightGhost »

No, there is almost nothing dangerous about online gaming, unless you have a "freind" who likes to ask people their age and were they live, but that comes with just about anything online...

I have even had my server taken over ( i wont go into details, cus thats (game) politics, and the rest belongs in the anti-hacker forum) but even that did not damage to my computer. :jango:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Herrmann wrote:It's just that Diet Dr. Pepper Vista that annoys me.

*Adam Savage picks up a small piece of a cement truck that he just blew up*
"Well heres your problem"

No wonder you have issues. You have a vista. Vista can suck my thermal exhaust port.

I feel bad for you.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Hey now, I have Vista and it works great for me. Sure, it's kind of a hassle at times, but it works like it's supposed to and doesn't blue screen randomly.

Don't blame the operating system, blue screens are almost always hardware issues.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:Hey now, I have Vista and it works great for me. Sure, it's kind of a hassle at times, but it works like it's supposed to and doesn't blue screen randomly.

Don't blame the operating system, blue screens are almost always hardware issues.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death

I know all about the blue screen of death, and the red screen of horror, and the black screen of martyrdom, but that doesn't mean that Vista doesn't suck. My friend has vista, and I help him with school video projects, like documentaries, and the hassle of trying to make it on his vista, it was crazy. I love my Windows XP Acer Netbook. The only time I have ever gotten a blue screen of death was after I had dropped the netbook and fatally wounded my HDD. Sure, the blue screen of death is a common windows issue, but I still blame Vista for any issue I dont get on my XP. If vista is good enough for you fine, more power to you, I am just stating my opinion.

I do believe this topic is spinning offtopic, hey Herrman? Is your questions answered or do you have anything else that needs fixing?
Herrmann
Private Third Class

Post by Herrmann »

I think the discussion just started to be interesting, but yeah since I know now that online gaming isn't the cause for my blue screen problem, everything is clear now.