Deus Ex Human Revolution

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Deus Ex Human Revolution

Post by Moving_Target »

I'm very excited for this game and I'm loving the marketing...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sdcc- ... -ex/717717

It's the 3rd game in the series, but the 1st in the timeline. Think borderlands gameplay of fps and rpg but expand it to massive heights with one amazing story and universe.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Re: Deus Ex Human Revolution

Post by Nihillo »

It's Deus Ex, the original may not have aged so well but it's still a classic, they appear to have gone back to roots with this one, so I am very excited about it.

You should have linked to the cinematic trailer, by the way, I believe it's the best trailer they've made.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I am a big Trailer critic, and I think they did a top notch job. I really wish I could get this game. :lol: :cry:
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Definitely linking that trailer first would give people who don't know about it a better sense of the game. I was more excited about the one I posted. Haha.

I've actually never seen that version of the trailer. Just others. Still very impressive.

Love the soundtrack.
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

when i saw the various trailers and developer-features it seemed a bit superficial to me with them repeating that you have so much believable choice over and over while walking through narrow level-tubes or crawling through airshafts with accidental boxes below the entrances so you can reach them. now i watched a review and learned that the levels get bigger the further you get, has a great atmospheric story and that the game takes 20 hours if you run through it. what was the last time when you had an actiongame that was atleats 20 hours long??? i think im going to buy it.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

After seeing the tf2 items I switched my preorder from gamestop to steam. I'm good to go now. Game comes out on tuesday.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

I had seen some of the trailers for it earlier this year, but then totally forgot about it. Then Valve did the TF2 items, I watched the trailers again, and I tried (And epicly failed) playing the first one. I'll be preordering sometime today.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Ya, I know all about that. Part of the reason is that 6 buttons are just to look around and are unnecessary. I'm still on liberty island, about to save the dude, but can't because 3 guys are guarding him. No way to sneak or quick kill.

I stab a guy far from the other two, in another room, with a knife, and it still triggers the alarm. Rage inducing. One reason why I can't wait for HR to come on tuesday.

May just restart. And ya, those trailers are impressive. Hard to fight that urge.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Moving_Target wrote:Ya, I know all about that. Part of the reason is that 6 buttons are just to look around and are unnecessary. I'm still on liberty island, about to save the dude, but can't because 3 guys are guarding him. No way to sneak or quick kill.
I never used the lean buttons, and if I recall correctly, you can either:
A) Run up to them and shoot them in the face. With a gun;
B) Throw a flare at a corner, (flares are great distraction tools and you should always carry some with you) move up and knock them out while they are derping around;
C) Use a tear gas grenade, then use this opportunity to either shoot tranquilizer darts at them or melee them.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

The furthest I've gotten out of my 5 or so attempts was two guys at the top of a staircase near what I think was the top. But then they shot me like twice which reduced my nearly full health down to 0. Too bad the game never autosaves. :/

I wish it was more like the tutorial though. I remember running through that and I got to the final room or so where there was a big security robot who shot off my legs and I ended up having to crawl to the end of the level. Much more epic than getting shot a few times by a guy with a pistol then dying. :P
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Oh there's plenty of huge, mean, mechs shooting at you in the endgame. The first mission is boring, the rest of the game is more interesting, specially when you leave the states and start travelling around the world.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

So I'm in 20 hours now. Holy crap. It's great. I'm loving it alot. They provide alot of freedom of how to tackle objectives, and the story is grand. Like rivaling if not better than Bioware's.

I highly suggest this game.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

I haven't tried it myself yet (I don't even know if it will actually run on this computer, some sites like systemrequirementslabs.com told me that it will run poorly) but I have checked it out on a friend's PC and it looks (and plays) absolutely fantastic!

I'm not a big fan of the regenerating health dealio, the health system in the original was way better and more dramatic, but I guess this is an inescapable fad of games nowadays. Anyway, glad to see you're liking it!
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Okay, so I have Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War (steam sale ftw)
But, I couldn't get past the first level on Deus Ex after 3 and a half hours, so I put it up and never touched it again.

I've been hearing MAJORLY good things about HR. Should I get it (probably when it's on sale), and play it without worrying about the first two? Or should I skip out because the franchise probably isn't for me? (There was just something about the playstyle of the first, idk, I couldn't get used to NOT being able to kill everything. I can play tactical shooters like Tom Clancy, I just couldn't get the feel of Deus Ex)
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

Nihillo wrote:I haven't tried it myself yet (I don't even know if it will actually run on this computer, some sites like systemrequirementslabs.com told me that it will run poorly) but I have checked it out on a friend's PC and it looks (and plays) absolutely fantastic!
my pc is 5 years old now, i should really reinstall windows, and i can play it with all settings on normal on a 19' screen even though it hardly fullfills the minimum requirements.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

Nihillo wrote:I'm not a big fan of the regenerating health dealio, the health system in the original was way better and more dramatic, but I guess this is an inescapable fad of games nowadays. Anyway, glad to see you're liking it!
I'm pretty sure this utility has an option to disable it, among many other things. Might not be something to get until after you finish the game at least once, though.
Twilight_Warrior wrote:Okay, so I have Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War (steam sale ftw)
But, I couldn't get past the first level on Deus Ex after 3 and a half hours, so I put it up and never touched it again.

I've been hearing MAJORLY good things about HR. Should I get it (probably when it's on sale), and play it without worrying about the first two? Or should I skip out because the franchise probably isn't for me? (There was just something about the playstyle of the first, idk, I couldn't get used to NOT being able to kill everything. I can play tactical shooters like Tom Clancy, I just couldn't get the feel of Deus Ex)
I'm in the same boat as you. I couldn't stand the first Deus Ex, but HR really improves a lot of stuff. It really supports either a run and gun or stealth hacker playstyle, so you should be fine.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

HR makes things alot more streamlined and well easier compared to the first. I got off the island in the first, but lost interest. Never played the sequel. You don't really need to play those two to understand what's going on since it's a prequel.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Fingerfood wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="Twilight_Warrior"]Okay, so I have Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War (steam sale ftw)

I'm in the same boat as you. I couldn't stand the first Deus Ex, but HR really improves a lot of stuff. It really supports either a run and gun or stealth hacker playstyle, so you should be fine.[/quote]

Indeed, HR is an entirely different beast, it has refined the formula of Deus Ex quite a bit (they had 11 years to improve the gameplay :P), you should try it out. And if you end up liking it, be sure to give the original a try again, it does allow you to play as a more combat oriented character, it's just that the first level kinda sucks. I'm really hoping for a remake...
DarthD.U.C.K. wrote:my pc is 5 years old now, i should really reinstall windows, and i can play it with all settings on normal on a 19' screen even though it hardly fullfills the minimum requirements.
I will consider buying it then. I'll probably test a couple things first though.
Fingerfood wrote:I'm pretty sure this utility has an option to disable it, among many other things. Might not be something to get until after you finish the game at least once, though.
Right, good to know that. Thanks!
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Just finished it and I have to say, I'm highly impressed. I will be said when it doesn't win GOTY. And I want more.
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

i now finished it too, the endgame is really cool!
spoiler
Hidden/Spoiler:
it was really cool that you had so many option in the end but i would have really liked if you would be able to see what effects your decision has, especially on the main characters. plus i wanted saving faridah malik to have a bigger effect
to sum it up: its a great game and you can really see how much love the developers put in it even though its a bit rough around the edges. it has an unique freedom of decisions to it, there is no "you killed people, you get a bad ending" or "you were mercifull, you get a better reward". you can purely decide based on what you want to do.

oh, and i want more too!