If TOR is a hit...

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

If TOR is a hit...

Post by RED51 »

Should TOR end up bringing in a lot of money, could we expect more Star Wars games? I believe I heard some where that Lucas Arts is in a tight spot these days, and that a successful launch with TOR could revitalize LA greatly, while unsuccessful sales (I doubt it; there's too many SW fans for that to happen... I hope...) could severely harm them. What do you guys think?
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: If TOR is a hit...

Post by Fusion »

Yeah, they'll probably announce the games that everyone's been waiting for if they get enough money. Hasn't everyone been waiting for Podracer II, Force Unleashed III, and Clone Wars II? I know I have.

In all seriousness they'll probably just be supporting TOR for a while. I doubt they'll just release something like Battlefront III the second they get the chance and/or funds.

Oh, and on an unrelated note to all the people who get angry when the staff says BFIII isn't happening, do you think we want to be right? We're just telling it like it is, as there are no current plans for the game after Free Radical went under and the engine and assets were split into different companies. If you really want it, go play Elite Squadron, it's the only surviving part of the game.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

I'm actually under the impression that Blizzard is focusing more on Diablo 3 because of TOR. WoW has been going down in terms of money making and player activity. It's still a hell of a number, but it's dropping. I doubt that the game will only be populated by star wars fans. Expect lapsed WoW players.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Fusion wrote:Yeah, they'll probably announce the games that everyone's been waiting for if they get enough money. Hasn't everyone been waiting for Podracer II, Force Unleashed III, and Clone Wars II? I know I have.

In all seriousness they'll probably just be supporting TOR for a while. I doubt they'll just release something like Battlefront III the second they get the chance and/or funds.

Oh, and on an unrelated note to all the people who get angry when the staff says BFIII isn't happening, do you think we want to be right? We're just telling it like it is, as there are no current plans for the game after Free Radical went under and the engine and assets were split into different companies. If you really want it, go play Elite Squadron, it's the only surviving part of the game.
Funnily enough, no one has ever attempted to mod something into their own BF3.

Now back on the real topic, even if it is a hit, like Fusion said, they'll have to wait a few years to collect enough money from TOR before they can make new games. That being said, the more games you can sell, the higher your chances are of making money.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Fusion wrote:Yeah, they'll probably announce the games that everyone's been waiting for if they get enough money. Hasn't everyone been waiting for Podracer II, Force Unleashed III, and Clone Wars II? I know I have.
Hey, I know I've been waiting for a sequel to Episode I: Racer since I was nine years old. Racer Revenge doesn't count, because I've never owned a PS2. :P

In all seriousness, though, I believe TOR could revitalize LucasArts, but revitalization won't necessarily lead to the development of games that have been cancelled or neglected. My guess is that a lot of the Star Wars games we'll see in the near future will be smaller titles related to the ongoing TCW series.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

If it's a hit, they will probably focus on it for a few years, I doubt they will be rushing to pump out more games, they will probably just sit back and recover, make an expansion or two and then figure out where to go from there.

Which is good, this "make games for the sake of making them" mentality doesn't work, you end up milking your franchises to death and turning them into something stagnant and redundant. I would be happy to see Lucas Arts take their time.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

First off I'd like to say how it's nice to see this constructive thread.

Sidenote: I'd love to see Podracer II, Force unleashed III no, Clone Wars II could be awesome and with the tv series it has alot of material to work with.

Also LA has licensed the Unreal III engine for multiple titles.
Shacknews wrote:LucasArts announced it has licensed Unreal Engine 3 from Epic Games for multiple upcoming projects according to a news release.
http://www.shacknews.com/article/68252/ ... ndo-sequel

So they have stuff in the works and possibly Battlefront III. Although honestly I'd rather see Battlefront III on Frostbite than Unreal. And I think one reason no one has done a SWBFIII mod is because it's a lot of work and no engine has quite the spark to get people going about it. And the fact that mod tools are going to the way side. If mod tools ever do some to Frostbite and Battlefield 3, I'm highly interested in trying to get a SWBFIII mod working.

Ontopic:
http://www.strategyinformer.com/interst ... ubscribers

Now, for how long with that number? I don't know. And yes it sounds pretty low for it to be a protfit. My friends and I think it's that number at a year. It's also a number that'll be very easy to get. Maybe it was just for positive press. We'll see, but yes, success of TOR will greatly benefit LA from it's lul of blah to zero games. (LEGO games don't count, they're pretty amazing and are made by a 3rd party)

I'll be getting TOR.
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DeathRow »

Yeah, I think 500K subscribers is an easy goal. I will also be purchasing TOR but not straight away.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

It's not because in Aussieland and New Zealand it's being launched shortly after North America and Europe?
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DeathRow »

Yeah, but the game has no region-lock so I can always import.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Haha, that looks awesome. Except for the voice actor for the announcer. Ugh.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Lol, seems like their own version of Grif Ball. Looks hecka fun anyway. Really can't wait to try it out when the game is released! 8)
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Without the carrier turning orange. It feels like basketball meets football with violence.

I like the fact it's like it's own meta game and will be like an actual sport and leagues and stuff. Hopefully players can sit in the audience and watch.