What's a good modern RPG?

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Games I'm Playing :: STALKER - TDU2

What's a good modern RPG?

Post by Lozza »

Hello, I'm looking for a good 'modern' RPG. Something like Fallout, STALKER, Metro 2033. I couldn't get into all the fantasy games. I really would like to see a RPG with 'firearms'. Anyone know some?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: What's a good modern RPG?

Post by Maveritchell »

The new Deus Ex game has been getting pretty good reviews; it seems to fit your bill pretty well. The Mass Effect series is another obvious choice, at least in regards to the "firearms" bent. I liked Obsidian's Alpha Protocol too, which despite its mediocre reception is, in my opinion, a pretty fun RPG.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

If you want a RPG shooter, I hear Borderlands is good. Havent played it, myself, but it sounds like it would fit the bill.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Try out the Mass Effect series, I promise you that you will not be disappointed.

Metascores:

Mass Effect (PC): 89/100
Mass Effect (360): 91/100

Mass Effect 2 (PC): 94/100
Mass Effect 2 (360): 96/100
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Any of the Force Unleashed games, mainly the first one. It had a really good storyline and LA should have kept it at that but sadly they had to unleash more.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Nova Hawk wrote:Any of the Force Unleashed games, mainly the first one. It had a really good storyline and LA should have kept it at that but sadly they had to unleash more.
This is not an RPG.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Nova Hawk wrote:Any of the Force Unleashed games, mainly the first one. It had a really good storyline and LA should have kept it at that but sadly they had to unleash more.
This is not an RPG.

And is not modern. Star Wars is Science-Fantasy(exactly what he doesn't want).
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:And is not modern.
I think by modern he means new.
THEWULFMAN wrote:Star Wars is Science-Fantasy(exactly what he doesn't want).
Technically, Star Wars is a space opera.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Marth8880 wrote:
THEWULFMAN wrote:And is not modern.
I think by modern he means new.
Lozza wrote:Hello, I'm looking for a good 'modern' RPG. Something like Fallout(made in 1997), STALKER(made in 2007), Metro 2033(made in 2010). I couldn't get into all the fantasy games. I really would like to see a RPG with 'firearms'. Anyone know some?
Sounds like he wants a RPG set in the modern world to me. But I'm always wrong anyway so...
Marth8880 wrote:
THEWULFMAN wrote:Star Wars is Science-Fantasy(exactly what he doesn't want).
Technically, Star Wars is a space opera.
Same difference to me.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Back on topic: Twilight and Maveritchell hit it right on the nose. Borderlands is a fun game, especially with friends (up to 4) but the RPG part is like taking a back seat, but it still works. I'm working through Du Sex at the moment and holy Diet Dr. Pepper it's amazing.

Either or should fill that void for you.

And of course the Mass Effect series if you want 3rd person.
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

My two cents about some of the above mentioned games:

Borderlands might be more of what your looking for, judging by the games you listed. It's more an open-world FPS with RPG elements than straight-up RPG, but there are many good times to be had with it. I cannot emphasize enough, if at all possible, play this game with a friend(s). Adding the co-op element to it makes it so much more fun. And if you play it through and decide you want more, all 4 DLCs (Mad Moxxi's Arena, Zombie Island, Secret Armory of General Knoxx, and Claptrap Revolution) make for outstanding expansions to the main game. If you find this game to be what you want, you'll be playing it for a looooong time.

I've never playing Dues Ex, but as Mav said, it's been well received and sounds like your style. I think there's a demo? I donno. I'm no help with this one.

If you want a game with a story/characters/entire friggin' universe that you can get really deep into (if you want, you don't have to), Mass Effect is a must. It's very futuristic, and it's awesome. The action is 3rd Person Shooter, but that's only part of the game. Your choices throughout the game affect later events and parts of the story, and carry over into the second, which will all lead up to an epic conclusion in the upcoming third game. I'm a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, to say the least, so I'm not gonna get too much into it. If you're interested at all, look into it. You won't regret it.

Alpha Protocol was a pretty clear Mass Effect wannabe, as far as gameplay elements go. But, in no way is that a bad thing. While the execution is... lacking, in some areas, the story is a great modern-spy-espionage-whatever story, which I'll avoid spoiling here. It takes some getting used to, as all games do, but if you decide you like it, it has incredible replay value. There's support for lotsa different play styles, like stealth, hacker, soldier, etc... and everything in between. Things can happen in so many ways, no two playthroughs will ever be the same. While I wish it was more polished, this might be very close to what you're looking for. I would recommend it.
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

i agree on deus ex, it is really a great game that has lost of things you will rarely find in todays shootergenre. i would describe it as shooter-rpg rather than a "normal" rpg like mass effect. it has open sections where you can do optional quests and explore the nested environment with a lot things to discover. in the other sections you infiltrate facilities that are more straightforward but still you always have mutiple ways of reaching a target/achieving an objective.
keenmike
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: Side by side bike with suspension
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1

Post by keenmike »

Moving_Target wrote:.I'm working through Du Sex at the moment and holy Diet Dr. Pepper it's amazing.
Thanks, I will never forget that game name. Due sex realy deus ex, the tv and internet story line so cool. Do you have to play extra apart from the purchage of the game to play the game with others? That might be something to factor in.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

It's fun to use alternative names for some games. Yes, Deus Ex Human Revolution is the full name of the game I'm playing. Easily you can. You can decline side missions if you want, but they're fun to do. And you'll spend some time roaming around in the HUBs.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

I'll throw in my two cents.

Borderlands is amazing. I put in nearly 250 hours into it, and will probably do another run through before the second one comes out. It's not as 'serious' as RPGs like Fallout or STALKER, but it will definitely fit your firearm criteria. Also, if you're not gonna get the GOTY edition (containing all DLCs) the widely considered best ones are General Knoxx and Claptrap Revolution, with Mad Moxxi being the worst in terms of amount of content.

The Mass Effect series is good, but I don't really consider it an RPG, especially the second one. I think it's mostly in that there's not much character/weapon customization and loot. It's way too streamlined to be an RPG for me.

Deus Ex (Actually pronounced Day-us X by the developers) was fantastic as well. It's somewhat streamlined in that there's not a lot of free roaming and leveling up, but it makes up for it in it's universe, story, gameplay, etc. It may not be the RPG you're looking for, but definitely check it out.

I'm playing through Dead Island at the moment, and I really like it. In terms of RPG, it's nearly identical to Borderlands. It may not fit your firearm quota though, as the game mostly focuses on melee combat. The few guns you do get really feel awesome though. I guess I should also mention that Dead Island really fits it's M rating. It's probably one of the most brutal games I've played, so be wary of that if you're younger.

You might also want to check out the BioShock series. They're really good.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

Fingerfood wrote:The Mass Effect series is good, but I don't really consider it an RPG, especially the second one. I think it's mostly in that there's not much character/weapon customization and loot. It's way too streamlined to be an RPG for me.
I actually like having an RPG where I don't have to waste time after battles going through the baddies' pockets. :) Weapon customization isn't something I've considered really critical, and as for character customization, well...Shepard is Shepard. We can make Shepard a him or a her, change around his face, play around with his clothing - but Bioware couldn't give us total freedom. It's not something I hold against them. Krogan Shepard just makes no sense.

And it's got very good replay value. I've played through both games at least twenty times and I still haven't tired of them.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

Fiodis wrote:
Fingerfood wrote:The Mass Effect series is good, but I don't really consider it an RPG, especially the second one. I think it's mostly in that there's not much character/weapon customization and loot. It's way too streamlined to be an RPG for me.
I actually like having an RPG where I don't have to waste time after battles going through the baddies' pockets. :) Weapon customization isn't something I've considered really critical, and as for character customization, well...Shepard is Shepard. We can make Shepard a him or a her, change around his face, play around with his clothing - but Bioware couldn't give us total freedom. It's not something I hold against them. Krogan Shepard just makes no sense.

And it's got very good replay value. I've played through both games at least twenty times and I still haven't tired of them.
Yeah, not having to go around collecting stuff off of dead bodies is nice, but I'm talking more about loot, not looting. The first one had a pretty good amount of it, but the second one had a couple dozen items you could find or buy, and that's it.

As for character customization, I meant more in terms of upgrading skill points and whatnot. I've never been too much into actual character customization, but I really like customizing his/her role, which again the first one sort of had, but the second one really lacked in.

I've played through each one once, and could only see myself playing through each one more time. They're fun, but not that fun. I much prefer a more Borderlands-esque RPG. I played through that about ten times.