Lucasarts is making a First Person Shooter.

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Gametoast Staff

Lucasarts is making a First Person Shooter.

Postby Fusion » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:26 pm

Recently Lucasarts has put up two job listings on Gamasutra:

Level Designer (First Person Shooter): http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=27724&accountno=260
Environment Artist (First Person Shooter): http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=27725&accountno=260

This is coupled from their previous statement (from the interview on MCVUK.com) that they are going to focus on Star Wars games:

“In recent years, LucasArts hasn’t always done a good job of making games. We should be making games that define our medium, that are competitive with the best of our industry, but we’re not. That has to change.

“Our priority is to create authentic, immersive, high quality Star Wars games.”

This does not mean Battlefront 3.

But it could be. :p

Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII-ES5-BL2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Lucasarts is making a First Person Shooter.

Postby RED51 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:23 pm

I am surprised RC2 or IC did not cross your mind. Nevertheless, this is will be interesting...

Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Postby Grev » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:29 pm

Tomorrow, Lucasarts will announce Battlefront 3.

For Kinect.

Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII-ES5-BL2

Postby RED51 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:31 pm

Gametoast Staff

Postby AceMastermind » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:35 pm

You can find more job listings HERE.
Note these titles in the listing:
    Action/Adventure
    First Person Shooter
    Open-World RPG
    Aerial Combat

That doesn't mean they'll all be Star Wars games but it does mean LA is gearing up for current and/or future projects.

Sith Lord

Postby Moving_Target » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:45 pm

This is good news. LA knows it needs to do better and will take steps accordingly. Kudos.

Jedi High Council
Projects :: I should probably start one...
Games I'm Playing :: TOR AC
xbox live or psn: ShadowScorch88

Postby Twilight_Warrior » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:59 pm

I was actually going to post this about a month ago, but I didn't want to get everyone all excited with "OMG SWBF3!!!!"
If you follow JoinTheForce on Twitter, they tell you when there are new job postings at Lucasfilm, Lucasarts, etc. I've been following those titles closely, the jobs went pretty fast, too.

Anywho, I am following this closely. These will only happen if TOR is a success, though, otherwise the projects might kick the bucket. Fingers crossed, boys.

Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Postby THEWULFMAN » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:18 pm

AceMastermind wrote:Aerial Combat

This could mean Rogue Squadron 4, or perhaps a Red Tails game. :)

I am an optimist, but I have less and less respect for LA as the years go by. Like TW said, if TOR flops then any other project might kick the bucket. They need to make up all the money they spent making TOR and advertising it(I'm counting the expensive CGI trailers). TOR almost seems like a hail mary for them, we all know Star Wars Kinect will be, meh or ok. I don't expect anything great from it. They obviously don't listen to what fans want, or we would have RC2, JKA4, SWBF3, RS4, and etc. So maybe they will go through with their plan to revive older franchises as my friend told me last year.

Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Postby Nova Hawk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:35 am

Dude, this is so weird because I've been speculating the past few days on what it would be like if LA made another FPS like that of Republic Commando. Although, a new Ariel Combat like Rogue Squadron would very cool indeed. I've enjoyed some of the games that LA has come out recently but FPS's are really my kind of genre for gaming, although I do like having the option to switch to 3rd Person, occasionally.

Now, I won't be getting my hopes up for a possible SWBF3 on the horizon now that Pandemic won't be creating the games anymore but you never know. Only time will tell what will come of this.

Major
Projects :: Becoming a Concept Artist-Illustrator

Postby Lephenix » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:52 am

IMO:

Action/Adventure = Battlefront 3
First Person Shooter = Republic Commando 2
Open-World RPG = KotOR 3 or Star Wars The Force Unleashed 3
Aerial Combat = Rogue Squadron 4

Great, that would be awesome if they make a new podracer game with the technology and game engines of nowadays.

Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Postby THEWULFMAN » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Lephenix wrote:Action/Adventure = Battlefront 3
First Person Shooter = Republic Commando 2
Open-World RPG = KotOR 3 or Star Wars The Force Unleashed 3
Aerial Combat = Rogue Squadron 4

Close, however this.
Lephenix wrote:Action/Adventure = Battlefront 3

Would more likely be,
Tacnayn wrote:Action/Adventure = Jedi Knight 4

Battlefront is a team shooter, not an Action/Adventure game.

All pointless speculation anyway. :lol:

High General

Postby Darth_Squoobus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:17 pm

If it's going to be a Star Wars game, I suspect it'll be something significantly different from the rest. I'm thinking of a Fallout style sandbox set in Mos Eisley with a bit of aerial combat thrown in. Now ain't that grand?

Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Postby Nova Hawk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:25 pm

Darth_Squoobus wrote:If it's going to be a Star Wars game, I suspect it'll be something significantly different from the rest. I'm thinking of a Fallout style sandbox set in Mos Eisley with a bit of aerial combat thrown in. Now ain't that grand?

Personally, I'd prefer a more urban environment like that of Coruscant, Dantooine, or Alderaan. Or maybe a more jungle-type like Kashyyyk, Dagobah, etc.

High General

Postby Darth_Squoobus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:59 pm

Nova Hawk wrote:
Darth_Squoobus wrote:If it's going to be a Star Wars game, I suspect it'll be something significantly different from the rest. I'm thinking of a Fallout style sandbox set in Mos Eisley with a bit of aerial combat thrown in. Now ain't that grand?

Personally, I'd prefer a more urban environment like that of Coruscant, Dantooine, or Alderaan. Or maybe a more jungle-type like Kashyyyk, Dagobah, etc.

Coruscant would put too much strain on the proccessors. A city would have to be fairly small to run smoothly.

Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Postby RogueKnight » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Darth_Squoobus wrote:
Nova Hawk wrote:

Coruscant would put too much strain on the proccessors. A city would have to be fairly small to run smoothly.

Doubt it would strain processors, I've seen more complex things run on my Intel Condore Dual-Core2, and it's not even close to a top of the line processor.

Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Naboo Selton

Postby AQT » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:25 am

I bet the Action/Adventure game will be some kind of Indiana Jones game or something based on one of the company's older adventure franchises. It also could be an upgraded version of the Star Wars Kinect game. The other three genres will probably be related to the Clone Wars TV show somehow.

Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Postby Teancum » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:26 pm

Darth_Squoobus wrote:
Nova Hawk wrote:

The city size wouldn't matter, actually. Most open world games now stream the world on the fly, only loading what's needed at any given time.

Master Bounty Hunter

Postby Ping » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:39 pm

I, for one, am glad LucasArts is getting back to what they do best. They made classics like Jedi Knight and Dark Forces back in the day, and they still entertain me even a decade after they were released. Republic Commando was loads of fun, too, and I'm glad they're making more FPS games, since that appears to be their strong point.

Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC

Postby Cerfon Rournes » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:15 pm

Ping wrote:I, for one, am glad LucasArts is getting back to what they do best... Republic Commando was loads of fun, too, and I'm glad they're making more FPS games, since that appears to be their strong point.

I totally agree. I have been following LA's posts lately..and I hope for a great game In the future. Battlefront 3 or RC 2 would be fantastic. :)

Master Sergeant

Postby negah » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:49 am

Aerial Combat could also mean resurrection of the X-Wing/TIE-Fighter series... with new grafics :shock:
I can dream.

Next

Return to Game Discussion - Other