Lucasarts is making a First Person Shooter.

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Lucasarts is making a First Person Shooter.

Post by Fusion »

Recently Lucasarts has put up two job listings on Gamasutra:

Level Designer (First Person Shooter): http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/vi ... ountno=260
Environment Artist (First Person Shooter): http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/vi ... ountno=260

This is coupled from their previous statement (from the interview on MCVUK.com) that they are going to focus on Star Wars games:
“In recent years, LucasArts hasn’t always done a good job of making games. We should be making games that define our medium, that are competitive with the best of our industry, but we’re not. That has to change.

“Our priority is to create authentic, immersive, high quality Star Wars games.”

This does not mean Battlefront 3.

But it could be. :p
RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Re: Lucasarts is making a First Person Shooter.

Post by RED51 »

I am surprised RC2 or IC did not cross your mind. Nevertheless, this is will be interesting...
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Tomorrow, Lucasarts will announce Battlefront 3.

For Kinect.
RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by RED51 »

AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

You can find more job listings HERE.
Note these titles in the listing:
  • Action/Adventure
    First Person Shooter
    Open-World RPG
    Aerial Combat
That doesn't mean they'll all be Star Wars games but it does mean LA is gearing up for current and/or future projects.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

This is good news. LA knows it needs to do better and will take steps accordingly. Kudos.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

I was actually going to post this about a month ago, but I didn't want to get everyone all excited with "OMG SWBF3!!!!"
If you follow JoinTheForce on Twitter, they tell you when there are new job postings at Lucasfilm, Lucasarts, etc. I've been following those titles closely, the jobs went pretty fast, too.

Anywho, I am following this closely. These will only happen if TOR is a success, though, otherwise the projects might kick the bucket. Fingers crossed, boys.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

AceMastermind wrote:Aerial Combat

This could mean Rogue Squadron 4, or perhaps a Red Tails game. :)

I am an optimist, but I have less and less respect for LA as the years go by. Like TW said, if TOR flops then any other project might kick the bucket. They need to make up all the money they spent making TOR and advertising it(I'm counting the expensive CGI trailers). TOR almost seems like a hail mary for them, we all know Star Wars Kinect will be, meh or ok. I don't expect anything great from it. They obviously don't listen to what fans want, or we would have RC2, JKA4, SWBF3, RS4, and etc. So maybe they will go through with their plan to revive older franchises as my friend told me last year.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Dude, this is so weird because I've been speculating the past few days on what it would be like if LA made another FPS like that of Republic Commando. Although, a new Ariel Combat like Rogue Squadron would very cool indeed. I've enjoyed some of the games that LA has come out recently but FPS's are really my kind of genre for gaming, although I do like having the option to switch to 3rd Person, occasionally.

Now, I won't be getting my hopes up for a possible SWBF3 on the horizon now that Pandemic won't be creating the games anymore but you never know. Only time will tell what will come of this.
Lephenix
Captain
Captain
Projects :: Becoming a Concept Artist-Illustrator

Post by Lephenix »

IMO:

Action/Adventure = Battlefront 3
First Person Shooter = Republic Commando 2
Open-World RPG = KotOR 3 or Star Wars The Force Unleashed 3
Aerial Combat = Rogue Squadron 4

Great, that would be awesome if they make a new podracer game with the technology and game engines of nowadays.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Lephenix wrote:Action/Adventure = Battlefront 3
First Person Shooter = Republic Commando 2
Open-World RPG = KotOR 3 or Star Wars The Force Unleashed 3
Aerial Combat = Rogue Squadron 4

Close, however this.
Lephenix wrote:Action/Adventure = Battlefront 3
Would more likely be,
Tacnayn wrote:Action/Adventure = Jedi Knight 4
Battlefront is a team shooter, not an Action/Adventure game.

All pointless speculation anyway. :lol:
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

If it's going to be a Star Wars game, I suspect it'll be something significantly different from the rest. I'm thinking of a Fallout style sandbox set in Mos Eisley with a bit of aerial combat thrown in. Now ain't that grand?
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:If it's going to be a Star Wars game, I suspect it'll be something significantly different from the rest. I'm thinking of a Fallout style sandbox set in Mos Eisley with a bit of aerial combat thrown in. Now ain't that grand?
Personally, I'd prefer a more urban environment like that of Coruscant, Dantooine, or Alderaan. Or maybe a more jungle-type like Kashyyyk, Dagobah, etc.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Nova Hawk wrote:
Darth_Squoobus wrote:If it's going to be a Star Wars game, I suspect it'll be something significantly different from the rest. I'm thinking of a Fallout style sandbox set in Mos Eisley with a bit of aerial combat thrown in. Now ain't that grand?
Personally, I'd prefer a more urban environment like that of Coruscant, Dantooine, or Alderaan. Or maybe a more jungle-type like Kashyyyk, Dagobah, etc.
Coruscant would put too much strain on the proccessors. A city would have to be fairly small to run smoothly.
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by RogueKnight »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:
Nova Hawk wrote:
Coruscant would put too much strain on the proccessors. A city would have to be fairly small to run smoothly.
Doubt it would strain processors, I've seen more complex things run on my Intel Condore Dual-Core2, and it's not even close to a top of the line processor.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

I bet the Action/Adventure game will be some kind of Indiana Jones game or something based on one of the company's older adventure franchises. It also could be an upgraded version of the Star Wars Kinect game. The other three genres will probably be related to the Clone Wars TV show somehow.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:
Nova Hawk wrote:

The city size wouldn't matter, actually. Most open world games now stream the world on the fly, only loading what's needed at any given time.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

I, for one, am glad LucasArts is getting back to what they do best. They made classics like Jedi Knight and Dark Forces back in the day, and they still entertain me even a decade after they were released. Republic Commando was loads of fun, too, and I'm glad they're making more FPS games, since that appears to be their strong point.
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Ping wrote:I, for one, am glad LucasArts is getting back to what they do best... Republic Commando was loads of fun, too, and I'm glad they're making more FPS games, since that appears to be their strong point.
I totally agree. I have been following LA's posts lately..and I hope for a great game In the future. Battlefront 3 or RC 2 would be fantastic. :)
negah
Corporal
Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by negah »

Aerial Combat could also mean resurrection of the X-Wing/TIE-Fighter series... with new grafics :shock:
I can dream.