Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Saga

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Designated Days + LFC + GT vs SWBFC
Games I'm Playing :: FO3 + FO New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Master Revan

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Saga

Post by RevanSithLord »

Is anybody here still playing this? I've played it a lot back in the day when the Clone Campaigns expansion came out. Parents purchased me the All-in-One Saga pack. Played through every campaign including custom ones as well. I also had fun in the editor, placing random units on the map and having massive line battles between two armies. Nothing but chaos! Fun game. Always for some reason pit the Republic against the Empire for some reason.

So what are peoples' thoughts on this old classic? If someone here doesn't remember it or has never heard of it, I'll be happy to throw some images up from it.

Slightly off-topic: Always did want to see a few SWGB things made for BF2, maybe I should make a request for them sometime!
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Re: Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Saga

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Yeah I remember it. I borrowed it from a friend for a while, and it was fun.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

I used to play it, it was pretty fun, SWGB had a large variety of factions, some of which we will never see again in a Star Wars RTS. I think they limited themselves too much with the age of empires style (SBDs mounted on animals? Seriously?), but it had some good moments.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

I LOVED this game!!! I still have it and I still play it!
RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by RevanSithLord »

Marth8880 wrote:I LOVED this game!!! I still have it and I still play it!
Awesome. I just downloaded the SWGB Advanced Mod Installer again and got a Star Wars Authenticity modpack (it's actually rather small in size these days and the modpack isn't 100% accurate, but there's only so much you can mod in. EG. The AT-TE's main cannons should be firing blue like in the movies). Finally glad my clone troopers fire blue now, though. Royal Naboo troopers fire green. Etc, etc.

Perhaps we can play a game together sometime. I do prefer a sort of coop-style of play if it involves players, though. Players working side by side to defeat enemy AIs. I would most definitely lose if fighting other players. Was never good at RTS regarding me vs anyone else no matter how much time I put into it.
Nihillo wrote:think they limited themselves too much with the age of empires style (SBDs mounted on animals? Seriously?), but it had some good moments.
I always wondered about that myself. :funny2: My excuse for that is that the B2s riding them were programmed with a laziness circuit.
kinetosimpetus wrote:Yeah I remember it. I borrowed it from a friend for a while, and it was fun.
:D Yup. That it was and is indeed.
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Battlefront Zer0
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by MandeRek »

I would really appreciate some pics, to give a sort of idea what the gameplay is like! :D
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Images

It's basically an early version of Empire at War.
RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by RevanSithLord »

Yeah. You could call it that. I did notice some similarities in the hud design in Empire at War one year and said it reminded me a bit of SWGB. Still though, it's a fun game. :)

Right now I'm on mission 3 of the Trade Federation campaign. I defeated the Royal Naboo Navy, however I am still in the process of pushing the lines further North-east in hoping to conquer the coastal city of Spinnaker. Even on easy, the mods that I am using make it a tad bit difficult, so it certainly is a bit of a challenge. Or it could sum up that I just suck at RTS even though I love RTS, but no matter how you see it, it's a fun game no matter what to me. :D
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

I do remember the Trade Federation campaign being very painful and aggravating, I was really bad at RTS games back then, though. :P

My favorite was the Imperial campaign, it had a lot of fun missions (rescuing Veers, ocuppying Reytha).
RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by RevanSithLord »

Nihillo wrote:I do remember the Trade Federation campaign being very painful and aggravating, I was really bad at RTS games back then, though. :P

My favorite was the Imperial campaign, it had a lot of fun missions (rescuing Veers, ocuppying Reytha).
Yeah, the Imperial campaign was my favorite as well. I think the Imperial campaign was the campaign that left the biggest mark on my memory and experience.