Pokemon Black and White...2

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Pokemon Black and White...2

Post by Fusion »

Well this was unexpected to say the least. With everyone thinking it was either going to be a third version or R/S remakes, an actual sequel was quite the surprise.
Hidden/Spoiler:
It will feature Kyurem (the post-game legendary) in his two new forms which appear to be based on both Reshiram and Zekrom and the as-of-now unused moves Freeze Shock and Ice Burn.The games will be released for the DS in June 2012 for Japan and probably Fall/Winter 2012 for the other locations.

This is the second time a mainline Pokemon game has gotten a sequel (if you're like me and don't count Gale of Darkness), and the first time that it's ever had the numeral 2 in the title (minus early prototypes of Gold and Silver). Should be interesting to see what becomes of this in the next three and a half months.

6/21 Info:

First, for those who love the 3rd Generation Games, this clip went up on 2ch last night:

It will most likely be used for Steven in the World Championship. There is no Hoenn.

Ye Old List of Plot Spoilers (from Bulbanews/Pokebeach):
Hidden/Spoiler:
The HP/EXP meters have black backgrounds in Black 2 and white backgrounds in White 2.
You can drag and select multiple Pokemon at a time in the PC box and move them.
As we already knew, and as you can see below, you can trade Pokemon immediately after you get your C-Gear. Even a Level 100 Mewtwo.
Player #2 is battling Cheren, who is holding books. His Gym is a Trainer school.
After you beat Homika you have to participate in Pokewood.
The rival's default name is Hugh/Hue/Hyuu (ヒュウ).
Burgh's team is Level 22 Swadloon, Level 22 Dwebble, and Level 22 Leavanny, all male.
Both games are region locked. The cartridge codes start with "TWL," which is what that stands for.
Elesa's team is Level 28 Emolga, Level 28 Flaffy, and Level 30 Zebstrika, all female.
To get into the Battle Subway, you have to battle the Subway Bosses first.
You will have Cut, Strength, and Fly by the time you leave Nimbasa City. The player notes that there isn't much to use Cut and Strength on, though.
The female player is named Mei (メイ) by default.
You can borrow a Riolu from Pokewood.
This early in the game, there's not much in Anville Town.
You're forced to have a rotation battle to proceed in Driftveil City, as pictured below. The character blocking you is Biker Charles.
The World Tournament is based in Driftveil City where the Cold Storage used to be.
The move tutor is in Driftveil City like in B/W. He can teach Covet and Bug Bite, which cost 2 Red Shards; Drill Run, Bounce, Signal Beam, and Iron Head for 4; Super Fang and Uproar for 6; and Seed Bomb, Dual Chop, Low Kick, Thunderpunch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Gunk Shot for an unknown amount.
Iris is not a Gym Leader in Black 2 or White 2.
You get a Zorua as a gift when you're in Driftveil, as pictured below. Its OT is N and it's a Level 25 male.
The Seven Plasma Sages have escaped from jail.
Bianca is animated in full CGI when giving you your starter.
Clay's team is Level 31 Krokorok, Level 31 Sandslash, and Level 33 Excadrill, all male.
Using a new feature called "Unova Link," you can connect to the opposite version of your game and get Black City or White Forest depending on which one you don't have by default. UPDATE: This Unova Link feature happens when you have the Key post-game, mentioned below.
Repel can now be used again without going into the menu. After one runs out, it asks you "Repel's effect ran out. Use another one? Y/N?" Picture below.
The Move Deleter and Move Relearner are now located inside the World Tournament building. The guy who tells you your Pokemon's Hidden Power is also there.
You have to play in the World Tournament as part of the story.
You meet Achroma in the World Tournament finals. He's got a Magneton, as seen in the promotional anime commercial.
The World Tournament has different battle theme music for the finals.
Through an in-game event at the Weather Facility on Route 6, the player got a Deerling with its Hidden Ability, Serene Grace. It's female and at Level 30.
Some old Pokemon that can be found include Budew, Roselia, Baltoy, Nosepass, Cleffa, Combee, and Castform.
The male character's default name is Kyouhei.
You meet the alternate-gender protagonist at the Subway, much like in the original Black and White.
More Pokemon found in the game: Ratatta, Grimer, and Zubat. Shouldn't be as bad with the new repel system.
Evolutionary Stones, Macho Brace and some Lenses (Scope and Wide) can be purchased with BP.
Skyla's team: Swoobat Lv 37, Skarmory Lv 37, Swanna Lv 39. All are female.
After clearing the game, you will be given a Key - this key allows for changing the game's mode, from Normal Mode (standard levels) to Assist Mode (trainers' level will go down) and Challenge Mode (levels will go up). The Key also allows for the changing of Black City to White Forest, and vice versa.
Apparently, if you turn off your DS/disconnect during a Wi-Fi match, the game will not let you Wi-Fi battle for a while. Your public rating will also go down.
Another Move Tutor. Teaches the moves Last Resort and Iron Defense for 2 Blue Shards, Magnet Rise and Magic Coat for 4, Block, Hyper Voice, Electroweb, and Icy Wind for 6. Other moves he teaches include Iron Tail, Aqua Tail, Earth Power, Zen Headbutt, Foul Play, Superpower, Gravity, Dragon Pulse, and Dark Pulse, but we don't know for how much.
Heatran will play a role in the game. It might show up in that one version-exclusive magma cave. I wonder what the opposing water cave will have.
Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion are just chilling a la Zapdos in HG/SS
Earlier in the game (around when you are level 20-25), you get (have the opportunity to catch) a Level 20 Minccino at the "Hidden Burrow", with its hidden ability, Skill Link. Pictures forthcoming uploaded below.
The 2nd gym's BGM has a female voice (probably Homika's) spelling Koffing's Japanese name and then saying it over some chiptune-like music. Translation time +1 month.
At some point, you battle a heavily underlevelled Volcarona, at Level 35
TM95, Snarl, which was hidden in Black & White, appears to be available at some point in Black 2 & White 2
Drayden team: Level 46 Druddigon, Level 46 Flygon, Level 48 Haxorus
The player has now discovered that Unova is in fact frozen in various areas
The Shadow Triad can be battled
Virizion remains where it is when the region is frozen. Not all parts get totally covered
New Move Tutor. Gives moves for Yellow Shards; Bind, Snore, Heal Bell, Knock Off, Synthesis, Roost, Sky Attack, Role Play, Heat Wave, Giga Drain, Drain Punch, Pain Split & Tailwind
Shizui's team: Level 49 Carracosta, Level 49 Wailord, Level 51 Jellicent
Shizui gives Scald
Other wild Pokémon: Absol, Banette, Drapion, Seviper, Drifblim, Sneasel, Mantine, Altaria, Starmie
Another Move Tutor: Magic Room, Wonder Room, Spite, Recycle, Trick, Stealth Rock, Endeavor, Skill Swap, Worry Seed, Gastro Acid, Outrage, Helping Hand, After You, Endeavor, Sleep Talk, Snatch
Lunar Wing is obtained within this game.
Iris is found in Castelia City
Achroma is confirmed as a Plasma Boss
Achroma's team: Magneton Level 50, Magnezone Level 50, Metang Level 50, Beeheeyem Level 50, Klinklang Level 52
Latias is shown to be in the game, found in the Dreamyard
Regigigas is also set to appear
Ghetsis' Team: Cofagrigus Lv. 50, Eelektross Lv. 50, Drapion Lv. 50, Toxicroak Lv. 50, Seismitoad Lv. 50, Hydreigon Lv. 52
Kyurem is found at Level 55 and is apparently not able to be captured at that point.
Castelia City has sewers, which are filled with Zubat and Rattata
Elite Four Member (Ghost-type): Cofagrigus Lv. 56, Drifblim Lv. 56, Golurk Lv. 56, Chandelure Lv. 58
Elite Four Member (Dark-type); Liepard Lv. 56, Scrafty Lv. 56, Krookodile Lv. 56, Bisharp Lv. 58
Elite Four Member (Psychic-type); Musharna Lv. 56, Sigilyph Lv. 56, Reuniclus Lv. 56, Gothitelle Lv. 58
Elite Four Member (Fighting-type); Throh Lv. 56, Sawk Lv. 56, Mienshao Lv. 56, Conkeldurr Lv. 58
Champion Iris; Hydreigon Lv. 57, Druddigon Lv. 57, Aggron Lv. 57, Archeops Lv. 57, Lapras Lv. 57 Haxorus Lv. 59
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: Pokemon Black and White...2

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Well, the only colors they haven't already used are Orange and Purple, and most of the precious metals/gems are taken, too (the birthstones left are Garnet, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Peridot, Opal, Topaz, and Turquoise. And I don't think any of those would be a fitting name for a Pokemon title). So while I, too, am slightly set off by the Black and White...2... , given the options, I'd say it was a good alternative.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

@TW They could always do something like Warm and Cold, Tropic and Arctic (lol 3rd/4th gen remakes), Nature and Machine...

I'll probably be using this post as an information update for today/this week/page 1.

Update 1: Junichi Masuda reveals the names of the two mascots: White Kyurem and Black Kyurem. They are confirmed to just be forms of Kyurem, but will have something to do with Reshiram and Zekrom. What this connection is has yet to be revealed.

Update 2: Both Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of America have confirmed an Autumn 2012 release date. This could mean September, October, or November. I would expect it to be late November as the games usually take 5.5 months to translate, bug test, and produce.

Notes/Theories: White Kyurem is the mascot of White 2, while Black Kyurem is the mascot of Black. This could mean that Reshiram will appear in White 2 and Zekrom in Black 2, so if you bought only one of the first games the sequel would give you the legendary you missed.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

I was wondering what they would do after Black and White. I was hoping RSE remakes...
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Didn't expect this. Shame, since I wanted to see what Pokemon #666 would look like. :P

j/k, of course, but I'm interested to see where they're going with this. I can't help but wonder if it's going to be in the same region and/or have some characters make a reappearance.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Pokemon #666 would end up being an early game Pokemon, probably something like the Pidgey or Rattata lines. I guess they could make it some kind of Dark-type or Poison-type plague rat, but it's not going to be a legendary at that number.

What I want from this as a sequel more like Gold and Silver and less like a continuation of the same trainer's story from Black and White.

Start the game in a nearby region a few years later and make it a dual-region game, so we can return to Unova and see what has changed. Have it follow what happened to N, who is looking to find a new meaning in life with Zekrom or Reshiram by his side, and Ghetsis, who escaped capture and probably has some sort of followers (perhaps Team Galactic, due to his interest in the Arceus Trio's items, or maybe some kind of ex-Plasma rebel force).

I'm guessing the climax will be something like the new character you play as is connected to Kyurem somehow and it will take on a form similar to what dragon N has (Zekrom in Black 2 and Reshiram in White 2) and you fight Ghetsis. After the game you'll probably find the main character from Black and White and then have the option to get the item or whatever else changes Kyurem's form to the one you don't currently have.

Also, this game will probably have walking Pokemon return. It's rumored that the HGSS team (Beta Team?) is working on this while the main team is working on Gen 6, so they'll probably want to bring back their main feature. It could also work well with the Team Plasma story, as Pokemon would no longer just be confined to pokeballs and their argument would lose traction.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Walking pokemon...as in the pokewalker or walking around with you in the game?
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I see they didn't like my suggestion of Pokemon: Left and Right. :cry:
Hidden/Spoiler:
:P
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Noobasaurus wrote:Walking pokemon...as in the pokewalker or walking around with you in the game?
As in the pokemon walk around with you in-game
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DeathRow »

THEWULFMAN wrote:I see they didn't like my suggestion of Pokemon: Left and Right. :cry:
Hidden/Spoiler:
:P
Ba Dum Tssh
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Noobasaurus wrote:Walking pokemon...as in the pokewalker or walking around with you in the game?
That's just like in Pokemon Yellow: Pikachu Edition, where the little creep would scurry along behind you! :lol:
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Marth8880 wrote:
Twilight_Warrior wrote:
That's just like in Pokemon Yellow: Pikachu Edition, where the little creep would scurry along behind you! :lol:
Or in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum in Amity Sqaure...
Or in the ENTIRETY of HeartGold/SoulSilver...
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: None because BFII is not working
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by General_Nate »

Just a random thought, but what if is like Gold and Silver where it's a whole new region, but you get to travel to the Unova region, and the first region is Hoenn (Gen III)? Look at the logos; they seem pretty close to ruby and sapphire, don't they? They even look like gems!

Another supporting factor is that in Japan, they are distributing several Pokemon in train stations and Pokemon Centers, and all the Pokemon given out are third gen.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

So I haven't been keeping this updated very much.

Today, a new trailer was released. This trailer was animated to a degree much higher than the usual show and features music and events from the games. It's in Japanese, but anything's better than what we usually get in English. :P

Three new Formes were announced for the Genie Trio (Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus) that apparently are based on Aztec legends Huitzilopochtli, Quetzalcoatl, and Tezcatlipoca. The Aztecs were masters at Scrabble
They are only available through a 3DS side game (300 yen) localized as the Dream Radar, an AR Game in which you will have to fire lasers at 3D models of Pokemon wherever you happen to be standing while playing.
Hidden/Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Meloetta was also officially revealed. Seeing as it's a movie download it will most likely be released at Gamestop in America and EB Games in Europe. In both games you take it to Castelia City to teach it the move Relic Song: a move that changes its Forme in battle, from a Special-based Normal and Psychic type to a Physical-based Normal and Fighting Type.

Numerous plot elements have been revealed but the anime short at the top of this post goes over those well enough.
RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by RED51 »

Those formes look awesome!
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

The US is going to be getting the Dream Searcher too, under the name "Pokemon Dream Radar". I assume the EU will get it too.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

This post had false info. It has been dealt with.

I'm going to be updating the OP with new info at random intervals today, feel free to comment on the new changes.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Is it me, or does the Hoenn Trainer theme actually sound like it's using some of the GBA instruments alongside the BW ones?
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

The DS soundfonts still have some of the GBA instruments. There were a couple songs in B/W that had the same timpani sound, for example.

Also, it's looking like there's a lot to do after the E4. One of those things is something I had hoped I would never have to catch again.

6/22: The ROM is being data mined. Dennis-step confirmed.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Fusion wrote:The DS soundfonts still have some of the GBA instruments. There were a couple songs in B/W that had the same timpani sound, for example.

Also, it's looking like there's a lot to do after the E4. One of those things is something I had hoped I would never have to catch again.

6/22: The ROM is being data mined. Dennis-step confirmed.
What is that, exactly? You might not have to re-catch it since B2W2 should still be BW-compatible.

Speaking of which, how is trading done between B2W2 and BW? Time Capsule ALA GSC? Or is it just normal trading with restrictions like there was between Diamond/Pearl and Platinum/HGSS.