Assassin's Creed III

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Assassin's Creed III

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Original Post:
Hidden/Spoiler:
*hyperventilating*
Set during the American Revolution. Many Native American influences. Bows and Arrows, Hatchets, Flintlocks, etc.

EDIT 1:
First screenshots leaked

EDIT 2:
If you have time to read an article, a lot of new info was obtained from a leaked online issue of that GI feature
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7 ... -revealed/

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT
A ton of new Assassin's Creed 3 details have leaked all over the Internets, so we now know a lot about the game. The details are ripped from the April issue of Game Informer magazine, a digital version of which appeared online, and was posted on NEOGaf, as well as PS3Trophies.com, so this isn't officially released information on Assassin's Creed 3. But here's what we know... Spoilers, Ahoy:

The hero is named Connor/Ratohnhake:ton (pronounced Ra-doon-ha-gay-doo). He's half English and half Mohawk Indian. You will experience Connor's childhood on the frontier. The Mohawk clash with white colonists who burn their village down, causing Connor to dedicate his life to confronting tyranny and injustice. The overall story is still centered around the Assassins versus the Templars and Connor's journey.

The game is set between the years 1753-1783 around Boston and New York. You'll meet George Washington -- one of the game's main characters -- as well as Ben Franklin, who is apparently not a "convenient inventor" like da Vinci in past Assassin's Creed games. Another main character is the mysterious Charles Lee. We don't know anything about him at all.

Here are some of the events we can expect: "You will see the great fire of New York. You will visit Valley Forge as a location that is currently occupied by Washington's forces. You will visit these places in the moment that they were important."

A lot of the actual gameplay centers on The Frontier, a huge area of wilderness that is 1.5 times bigger than all of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. When in the frontier, you'll meet up with all kinds of gameplay elements, including hunting and pelt gathering (shades of Red Dead Redemption), and villages -- Colonial and Native American alike. The wilderness traversal plays a big part in the gameplay in the Frontier. You use trees, cliffs, ledges, and more to set up kills and combat. Connor does have a hidden blade.

The city scenes are more detailed than previous Assassin's Creed games, with full crowds of people doing different, mundane tasks, and the city seeming to react to players' actions.

Here are some nitty-gritty gameplay details:

Leveling System:

"Imagine a leveling system in an RPG, except there's a finite amount of XP to find. The more in-sync you get, the more you fill your sync bar. Within each mission, each activity you complete has a value". You can replay everything to increase your score.

There is reportedly something resembling the Brotherhood system of picking up fellow assassins. Aligned groups are gone, but something new is replacing them in regards to factions. There's a new notoriety system that is more hidden and doesn't penalize you for exploring risky areas. The game has fast travel because the game has more traveling. It's a huge map.

Multiplayer: No word yet on the multiplayer.

Combat:

- The tomahawk and knife are a "constant presence" in battle. They let you do double counters and multiple takedowns, as well as chain kills.
- There's no more target locking. Counter/defense are the same button to prevent defensive turtling.
- You can use human shields and other context sensitive moves.
- There are lots of secondary attacks like the one shot pistol on the Y button.
- There's a new dynamic camera to track the action and make it look as cinematic as possible.
- There is a new sprinting system also, so you can hold the button to instantly turn around and start fleeing from combat. They also let you kill people while still moving so you can keep chasing a target.

How's that for a comprehensive look at the game? This coming Monday morning, you'll get your first real look at the game when the Assassin's Creed 3 trailer is released.
EDIT 3:
Announcement Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSa0Xg-YadY
"The American Colonies, 1775. As a Native American warrior fights to protect his land and his people, he will ignite the flames of a young nation's revolution."
Last edited by Twilight_Warrior on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Assassin's Creed III

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I'm looking forward to learning more about this.
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Twilight_Warrior wrote: Set during the American Revolution. Many Native American influences. Bows and Arrows, Hatchets, Flintlocks, etc.
That's awesome. :D
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life

Post by DeathRow »

Oh my...

:runaway:
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

I thought the third one would be about Desmond, but that's okay I guess. At least it's not Ezio again, I mean, I liked him, but I was beginning to think that the people at Ubisoft were too attached to the guy to replace him with another character.
skelltor
Sith
Sith
Projects :: BFSM
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII
xbox live or psn: skelltor95

Post by skelltor »

Maybe Ezio gets a time machine? :P

It looks sweet I am looking forward to this franchises next step forward.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

I am highly excited for this game now. I'm very intrigued to find out how all the pieces fit together and how the game itself will play.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

I, too, was expecting it to be Desmond. But I knew from the get-go it wasn't going to be Ezio again. They closed Ezio's story with the animated short that came with Revelations. Assassin's Creed: Embers, if I remember the title correctly.

I've been hearing a lot of complaints about this game, actually. Grev and I had a chat about it, and a few other gaming forums I frequent have conflicting views as well. The main argument seems to be, "Gosh dangit, this game is just going to be I'M IN A-MURRIKA FIGHTING FOR THE FREEDOM OF MY FELLOW 'MURRIKANZ!" But I don't think so.

For one, yes the cover art shows the new Assassin killing a redcoat. But they could have just as easily had Ezio killing a Borgia guard on the cover of ACII or Brotherhood. It's an enemy soldier fighting to protect his Templar master, this isn't new.

And two, Game Informer released a short paragraph previewing their upcoming feature:
"Set in the latter half of the 18th century, we'll see the war between the Templars and the Assassins escalate as it crosses over to the New World of America, and witness firsthand the events of the American Revolution. Caught in the conflict is a daring new hero in the Assassin's Creed franchise. We have the full story of this new hero and the striking game in which he stars, along with exclusive screens and art from the project, all packed into a massive 13-page cover story."
Notice "Caught in the conflict..."
Combined with the obvious Native American influences, I believe that even though the Assassin might be of American descent, he'll be part of a third faction, and won't be fighting under the direct lead of General Washington against the redcoats. It will be more like Revelations where the Assassins were outside of the conflict between the Ottomans and the Byzantines, but since the Byzantines were led by Templars, the Assassins would help the Ottomans on occasion for mutual gain.

I guess we'll see on Monday if I'll eat my words or not. I'm still excited for this game, regardless.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I concur with Twilight, I imagine they'll handle the concept well. I'm very excited about any and all Native American influences in the game, as I'm proud of my heritage on both sides of my family.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

First screenshots leaked
Hidden/Spoiler:

Updated OP
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

I haven't played any of the Assassin's Creed games, but I have seen the National Treasure movie, which had to do with connecting the Knights Templar and the Founding Fathers. :o The thought just occurred to me after seeing that first screenshot there. I'm liking the style, though!
THEWULFMAN wrote:I'm very excited about any and all Native American influences in the game, as I'm proud of my heritage on both sides of my family.
You can't just lump all Native American tribes together. :?
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:First screenshots leaked
Hidden/Spoiler:

Updated OP

Looks fantastic and I'm more interested all the time. :runaway:
AQT wrote:You can't just lump all Native American tribes together. :?
Nowadays a lot of the remaining Native Americans in this country don't care about who was from which tribe anymore. Mainly due to the fact that there are so few of us left. If you've ever been to a Pow-Wow, perhaps you'd understand. Sure we recognize our individual tribes, but we respect eachother and count us as one unified tribe.

So yes, I can just lump all Native American tribes together.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

What I have been seeing people comment on about how this will play from info leaks, it'll be Red Dead Redemption AC edition, which I'm all for.

I'll repost the info I saw. Take it with a grain of salt til Ubi's official announcement probably Monday.
The name of the game’s new protagonist will be Connor (as he calls himself), although his birth name is Ratohnhake:ton. He is half English, half Native American, and is described as more of a hunter/ predatory Assassin than the likes of Ezio or Altair. He is described as a freedom fighter who acts in the name of justice rather than acting based on personal revenge. The American Revolution setting means that the supporting cast includes the likes of George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Charles Lee. Connor’s interaction with Washington is one of the core relationships in the game.

The protagonist will fight on the American side, with primary allies George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Charles Lee. However, this does not mean that the Americans are the good guys and the British are the bad guys. Templars are everywhere…

There will be seasons in the game, meaning that the sun will shine during summer and the landscape will be covered in snow during winter.

Fighting and stealth will be completely re-innovated, with Connor being compared to a “predator”. The player will be able to climb trees and other natural elements, and dual-wielding weapons such as a dagger and a mohawk is now also an option.

Animals will be present in the woods, like deer and bears. The player will be able to kill them and pelt their skins, to sell them later with the reformed economic system of the game.

There will be no more Mercenaries, Thieves, Courtesans, Romani or other factions, but there will be a replacement for them.

Den Defense will not return
I'm honestly excited for the fact it's not black and white America is good, Brits are bad.

To the Templars, Freemason, Founding Fathers connection, or possible connection I want to know more about it. I can't see Ubi having the Founding Fathers in a bad light. And I lost my train of thought.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

THEWULFMAN wrote:So yes, I can just lump all Native American tribes together.
Right... keep generalizing...
Moving_Target wrote:To the Templars, Freemason, Founding Fathers connection, or possible connection I want to know more about it.
Eh, it was just a somewhat random idea.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

@AQT: Well it is rumored that the Freemasons were a reimaging of the Templars or a splinter group.

Anyways more info:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/33 ... -are-evil/
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:First screenshots leaked
Hidden/Spoiler:

Updated OP
Looks like our friend took camouflage lessons from Star Wars Stormtroopers, bright white uniform in the middle of a forest? That's not suspicious at all. :P Joking aside, it looks pretty interesting.

I have also heard a lot of whining about the setting, people seem to have forgotten that in the game's universe, templars and assassins are not limited to political groups and countries, they have representatives everywhere. If you recall back in Assassins Creed I, there were members of the templar organization in both the crusaders and Saladin's muslim army. It is quite likely that this game will not be about fighting the englishsmen, but dealing with treacherous political figures manipulating the events in both sides of the conflict; an "invisible war" if you will, happening concurrently to the revolutionary war.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

The arguing about the setting is immature and poorly constructed usually degrading into "AMURKIA you ego bleep bleep bleep dr. pepper etc."

The weirdest complaint is that the American Revolution is over done in videogames. It makes me scratch my head. How many times has it been in games? Two if at most? It's quite clear they don't see how rich that time period is to work into the Assassin's universe.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

The only game I have ever played that had that kind of scenario was the RTS Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots, one of the campaigns was about the american colonial period and the revoultionary war, but aside from that, yeah... I don't think I have ever seen it being done in a video game, at least not in my time.

I would have conceded them a point if ACIII was set in WWII like the rumors used to say. That would most definitely have been an overused setting.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Den Defense will not return
Hooray! That minigame felt so out of place in Revelations.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Nihillo wrote:The only game I have ever played that had that kind of scenario was the RTS Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots, one of the campaigns was about the american colonial period and the revoultionary war, but aside from that, yeah... I don't think I have ever seen it being done in a video game, at least not in my time.

I would have conceded them a point if ACIII was set in WWII like the rumors used to say. That would most definitely have been an overused setting.
It has, but not in the past like 5 years of gaming.

I remember rumors of the French Revolution, which would also have been great, and in Russia like the comic which there still is a chance.