Star Wars: First Assault

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

1st Lieutenant
User avatar
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:55 pm
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby The Nasal Abyss » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:02 pm

THEWULFMAN wrote:That may be true. But that doesn't change the fact that my faith in LA has been slowly destroyed, and I don't trust them to create mod tools.

It's also the video game industry nowadays. AAA title games just don't let you mod them anymore, with the exception being Bethesda games and maybe a couple others.


I really don't think you give Lucasarts (even in its current state) enough credit; sure the last half decade has been a little rough for them, but they could bounce back and retake the hardcore crowd by storm any time now. They know that mod tools are what always set their games apart from others, and they haven't forgotten. Lately they just haven't had them because their games have targeted completely different audiences.

A possible shooter like this would be a perfect time for them to get back into their star wars groove :)

Jedi
User avatar
Posts: 1016
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Vermont
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby yuke5 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:11 am

If this shooter is what we hope it is, maybe Lucasarts will take the hint and make more like it. I'm not seeing this game as a huge title with mod tools. What I'm hoping is that it will revitalize interest in creating a game that will. Maybe.

Jedi Admin
User avatar
Posts: 11083
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Indiana
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby Teancum » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:12 am

The Nasal Abyss wrote:
THEWULFMAN wrote:That may be true. But that doesn't change the fact that my faith in LA has been slowly destroyed, and I don't trust them to create mod tools.

It's also the video game industry nowadays. AAA title games just don't let you mod them anymore, with the exception being Bethesda games and maybe a couple others.


I really don't think you give Lucasarts (even in its current state) enough credit; sure the last half decade has been a little rough for them, but they could bounce back and retake the hardcore crowd by storm any time now. They know that mod tools are what always set their games apart from others, and they haven't forgotten. Lately they just haven't had them because their games have targeted completely different audiences.

A possible shooter like this would be a perfect time for them to get back into their star wars groove :)


This.

Remember, that they recently had a change in leadership, and typically speaking such things are due to poor company standing--financially, socially, or both. I wouldn't give up hope on PC-based mod tools if this ends up being a Battlefront title. On the other hand I wouldn't put all hope on them, either, as mulitplatform games tend to do the worst on PC.

Gametoast Staff
User avatar
Posts: 2676
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:16 pm

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby Fusion » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Mod Tools in general are kind of dieing out. It justifies DLC as there are no other new maps and modes coming to the game. Why pay $10 for a bunch of maps from a previous game if someone can just port them for free?

I mean, Valve tends to support these things, but they're Valve. Lucasarts, even around the time that the prequels came out, weren't really that supportive of customers. Maybe they will be this time, who knows. I just wouldn't count on it.

Space Ranger
User avatar
Posts: 6120
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:30 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby THEWULFMAN » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:33 pm

I realize I have the unpopular opinion.

I'm not saying LA couldn't change. Anyone can change. I'm saying I am not counting on it to happen.

I'm not trusting of most big companies to start with. Being greedy and stupid seems their goal most of the time. If I had to name big companies I can trust to do the right things most of the time, it's... Google and Valve. That's about it.

Fusion wrote:Mod Tools in general are kind of dieing out. It justifies DLC as there are no other new maps and modes coming to the game. Why pay $10 for a bunch of maps from a previous game if someone can just port them for free?

I mean, Valve tends to support these things, but they're Valve. Lucasarts, even around the time that the prequels came out, weren't really that supportive of customers. Maybe they will be this time, who knows. I just wouldn't count on it.


Completely agreed.

Private Recruit
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 3:30 am
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby R2SS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:43 pm

Yes mod tools always add soo much to a game, in terms of unlimited gameplay and bigger interest by fans.

Dont know about anyone else but i specifically bought the battlefronts for pc because of the option to mod

Space Ranger
User avatar
Posts: 6120
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:30 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby THEWULFMAN » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:04 pm

R2SS wrote:]Dont know about anyone else but i specifically bought the battlefronts for pc because of the option to mod



I had it for a couple years on the PS2 before I bought the PC version. I bought it so I could play mods and create them.

So you're not alone.

Private Recruit
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:59 pm

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby KeivanMereel » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm in the same boat. Played BF2 to death on the Xbox, then years later I've bought the PC version to take it to the next level via modding. Not that a purchase that long after the fact boosts the game's profitability to the studio.

Space Ranger
User avatar
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:25 pm
Location: UK
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefield 3
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby Precise_Moon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:37 am

The thing been is the launch of xbox 720 2013 winter it will make it a short lived game. Lets hope it is just a taster off things to come as the real bucks to be made is all platforms and not just xbox. Playstation and xbox seem to were the money is made on retail of games. Other companies aim specifically for that audience/market. PC gaming as seemed to been side tracked eg Call of duty Franchise ported a console game with the latest versions of CofD to the PC. Dice and the battlefield franchise on the other hand, at least tried to keep the PC game version of BF3 for the PC gamer as a PC game. They are under no obligation to release mod tools..

^does tha make sense^

Jedi High Council
User avatar
Posts: 2306
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:57 pm
Projects :: I should probably start one...
Games I'm Playing :: TOR AC
xbox live or psn: ShadowScorch88

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby Twilight_Warrior » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Precise_Moon wrote:The thing been is the launch of xbox 720 2013 winter it will make it a short lived game.

Source?

Space Ranger
User avatar
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:25 pm
Location: UK
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefield 3
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby Precise_Moon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Precise_Moon wrote:The thing been is the launch of xbox 720 2013 winter it will make it a short lived game.

Source?



Romoured!!

Jedi High Council
User avatar
Posts: 2306
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:57 pm
Projects :: I should probably start one...
Games I'm Playing :: TOR AC
xbox live or psn: ShadowScorch88

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby Twilight_Warrior » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:10 am

Then why was it presented as fact?

Resistance Leader
User avatar
Posts: 5260
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:43 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Projects :: EVERYWHERE + Project Infiltrator
Games I'm Playing :: Max Payne 3
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby Marth8880 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:27 am

Off-topic: Ugh, why would the new Xbox be called the "720"? That just sounds stupid in my opinion. Just because it's the next generation up doesn't mean the number after the title is going to double. In fact, I'm pretty sure the current gen Xbox is called the "360" because, well, 360 degrees could suggest a "complete turnaround" (or whatever) in the gaming industry, and 720 degrees is equal to 360 degrees so that would be pretty redundant. :? Turning around the turnaround? :o

This article suggests the new console's codename is "Phoenix": http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/09/21/will-microsoft-phoenix-rise-from-xbox-ashes-to-topple-ps4-wii-2/

Dave Parrack, Blorge.com wrote:..
So we come to Microsoft. According to Seeking Alpha, the successor to the Xbox 360 is already being worked on under the codename ‘Phoenix’. If this is true then it clearly shows that Microsoft understands how much the Xbox 360 has underperformed. For those not au fait with mythical beasts, the phoenix is a bird that rather than die, sets itself on fire and then re-emerges anew from the ashes.
..

Space Ranger
User avatar
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:25 pm
Location: UK
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefield 3
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby Precise_Moon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Twilight_Warrior wrote:Then why was it presented as fact?



Did i say fact???? I think your been to sensitive

Jedi High Council
User avatar
Posts: 2306
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:57 pm
Projects :: I should probably start one...
Games I'm Playing :: TOR AC
xbox live or psn: ShadowScorch88

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Postby Twilight_Warrior » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:00 pm

You sure didn't state it as an opinion or even clarify that is was a rumor. You said that it WILL make it a short-lived game. I asked for a source because I disagree, but if it was confirmed that the next gen consoles are arriving 2013, then I can't really disagree with fact.

Previous

Return to Game Discussion - Other

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest