LucasArts is Gone

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

AvalancheMaster
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: Myrkr Smuggler outpost
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII Civ WC3
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: LucasArts is Gone

Post by AvalancheMaster »

And yet, not a single Disney game, based on a Disney merchandise, aimed at serious gamers. Yeah, you have "World of Illusions" and "Aladdin", and even some more old golds, but, double-drat, those are more than 20 years old!
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Star Wars isn't that serious. :p And plus, Disney hasn't really had a mature enough IP to work with to produce games under, so there's that. :P
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Take a look at Disney's film lineup if you're concerned about 'serious'. Let's look at things like National Treasure and Pirates of the Caribbean, or the direction they've taken Marvel movies. Not everything at Disney is "Mickey-esque". Don't worry about Star Wars in that sense. Once the franchise gets its footing back good games will return.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

My thoughts exactly^. Like I said, they know what they're doing.
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

Im a little late to join the conversation about the source code for BF2, but how would we get that without being sued?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Talking with my contacts it would be owned by Electronic Arts, who bought Pandemic before it was shut down. The own the rights to the engine, so it's not possible.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Well, it is EA. You could always ask nicely and they would probably be nice in return. We will surely get the engine.

:P
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: The Map has no name so see alpha
Games I'm Playing :: Crysis Battlefront

Post by noMatt »

Are you jokin Fusion? Anyway why shouldnt they release i? This old engine wont be useful for them and givin fans something is always a good advertising. I think i will shot a email to their support.

Or shouldnt i because of your fink Tean? (sorry if thats an inpolite word, i'm not that good in english and i didnt know another word for someone who gives somebody informations. Is there another one?)
AvalancheMaster
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Teancum wrote:Take a look at Disney's film lineup if you're concerned about 'serious'. Let's look at things like National Treasure and Pirates of the Caribbean, or the direction they've taken Marvel movies. Not everything at Disney is "Mickey-esque". Don't worry about Star Wars in that sense. Once the franchise gets its footing back good games will return.
I'm not that worried about the films. They might screw everything EU, but I know they'll come with a good film (though I didn't like the "Avengers"). Yet, no good games based on those merchandises.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

noMatt wrote:Are you jokin Fusion? Anyway why shouldnt they release i? This old engine wont be useful for them and givin fans something is always a good advertising. I think i will shot a email to their support.

Or shouldnt i because of your fink Tean? (sorry if thats an inpolite word, i'm not that good in english and i didnt know another word for someone who gives somebody informations. Is there another one?)
Let me put it this way: How in the world are you going to find the right person(s) to ask in the vast empire that is EA? We have no "in" people at the company to start the search, and no possible way of knowing if they even bothered to retain an engine they haven't used in almost five years. Besides, EA has to protect two properties that also used versions of the engine: Lord of the Rings: Conquest and Mercenaries 2: World in Flames. They won't release the source if they feel it could jeopardize an existing property, particularly one not owned by EA (Lord of the Rings). That's bad business.

Raven's case is totally different. The core engine, Id Tech 3 (Quake 3) already had its source code released by the original creators, and no additional games were made by Raven using this engine after Jedi Academy. Therefore it couldn't be used to exploit other games.

It's a fine idea, and if we had any sort of prayer of success I'd be totally behind it. But with it buried somewhere in an archive in one of the biggest companies in gaming the odds are beyond astronomical. Even if we found someone interested there's just far too much red tape.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

AvalancheMaster wrote:Yet, no good games based on those merchandises.

I'm sorry a company focused on making games for 5-12 year olds hasn't made a video game that caters to your age group yet. But personally, I've enjoyed games like Marvel vs. Capcom:Origins, LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean, Toy Story 3: The Video Game, Cars 2: The Video Game, and I'm excited for the upcoming LEGO Marvel Super Heroes game. And that's just in the past 3-5 years. My childhood is filled with fond memories of enjoyable, franchise-based games.

And we've already argued up and down that, given the right developer like Square Enix, Junction Point Studios, or Black Rock Studios, Disney Interactive can publish some awesome games for more experienced gamers.

In short, personally, I believe you've been living under a rock if you think Disney doesn't have it in them to make a good game. Go play Kingdom Hearts, go play Epic Mickey. Experience something without the mindset that "Oh Disney is just for little kids." Because you're missing out on some really fun games.
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by minilogoguy18 »

KH was a good series, I played epic mickey some but not much, my GF was pretty into it.

It's not like Disney will even be making the games, you must not have read but they'll outsource everything much like LA did when the made GOOD games like the SWBF and JK series, LA didn't produce any of them.
AvalancheMaster
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Twilight_Warrior wrote: But personally, I've enjoyed games like Marvel vs. Capcom: Origins, LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean, Toy Story 3: The Video Game, Cars 2: The Video Game, and I'm excited for the upcoming LEGO Marvel Super Heroes game.
AvalancheMaster wrote: I really doubt we'll see a new RTS, RPG, TBS or serious FPS from Star Wars.

I think there's some ill communication. I enjoy arcades and fighters as well (oh, the jolly hours spent on Rayman, Jazz Jackrabbit or ClayFighters). But when it comes to Star Wars, I can't realize how can one imagine good games aimed at 7-12 years old, aside from LEGO Star Wars (which already exist).

I really don't want a jump-and-run adventure with C-3PO. I like my Battlefront raw, and my Empire - at war.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

minilogoguy18 wrote:It's not like Disney will even be making the games, you must not have read but they'll outsource everything much like LA did when the made GOOD games like the SWBF and JK series, LA didn't produce any of them.
This. If people would bother to read the actual news they'd see that Disney is open to outside developers, which is what killed LucasArts in the end. There's now the possibility of external developers pitching all-new games (or sequels) and getting them actually greenlit.
Spino
Recruit Womprat Killer
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by Spino »

It is hard to believe that Disney screwed everything up already :eek: :runaway:
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by minilogoguy18 »

Avalanche master still can't seem to read...
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Spino wrote:Disney screwed everything up already
Lol no. See, LucasArts was like a virus or an infection and Disney eradicated it - they cleansed the Earth of its filth. :)
Loopy53
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Earth Apocalypse
Games I'm Playing :: swbf2 bf3 cod
xbox live or psn: Dont have one

Post by Loopy53 »

Marth8880 wrote:
Spino wrote:Disney screwed everything up already
Lol no. See, LucasArts was like a virus or an infection and Disney eradicated it - they cleansed the Earth of its filth. :)
QFT. I agree with Marth here.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

This is a very interesting set of responses. Well any who only time will tell what happens, though it seems very unlikley at this particular moment that these projects are going to be finished up. There are a few twitter accounts from formor lucas arts employees, most have had pretty reasonable answers when asked about projects. None of them had very clear answers and some even deleted posts they made from the past few days.
The Nasal Abyss
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Post by The Nasal Abyss »

I felt this was an appropriate situation to drop in momentarily. First of all, RIP Lucasarts. You created and produced many games that defined my childhood.

With that said, you hadn't been yourself for over a decade, and that really upsets me.

Also, I'm looking forward to what the future holds for Star Wars games. I personally think Star Wars will be fine in the hands of Disney. Though I'm still skeptical because licensing (in the videogame industry) is slowly declining as a viable strategy, from my experience. My theory applying to that is that we won't get as many quality Star Wars games, but I'm absolutely no expert on the subject.

Hopefully sometime in the future we get a Battlefront game for the new trilogy :)