LucasArts is Gone

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: LucasArts is Gone

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

I really hope disney doesn't give EA any publishing rights, at least for right now. I think obsidian can make some pretty good star wars RPG's if given the chance(And of course given the time), I remember someone from obsidain pitching an idea for a dark times RPG recently. DICE would make an epic star wars game, maybe even an epic battlefront type game, however I think with the current buisseness decisions made by thier higher ups....well it probaly wouldn't be a as complete game.
AvalancheMaster
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: Myrkr Smuggler outpost
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII Civ WC3

Post by AvalancheMaster »

minilogoguy18 wrote:Avalanche master still can't seem to read...
Because I don't agree with you? Please explain.
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by minilogoguy18 »

You keep saying Disney is going to keep making bad games when Disney wont make ANY games, only publish and license, not produce.

Lucas Arts didn't really make anything good, all the better games were made by outside developers. Some might consider the TFU games to be good but to me they were too linear with ZERO replay value, button mashing game play FTL.
AvalancheMaster
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Well, if you read carefully, you'll notice that I said that Disney won't be making more complex games - RTS, FPS or RPG. And by "making" I mean licensing AND producing. Yes, LucasArt didn't make anything good in the last 5 years or so, and I don't know if they still had potential. However, they were our "only hope", since they are known to have made complex games, and Disney has never produced anything like X-wing or Force Commando.

As I said, ill communication.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:I really hope disney doesn't give EA any publishing rights, at least for right now. I think obsidian can make some pretty good star wars RPG's if given the chance(And of course given the time), I remember someone from obsidain pitching an idea for a dark times RPG recently. DICE would make an epic star wars game, maybe even an epic battlefront type game, however I think with the current buisseness decisions made by thier higher ups....well it probaly wouldn't be a as complete game.
I'm confused. You know EA owns DICE, right? And even though EA is a a sort of big, mean company, they still publish great games. Gamers need to get away from the "corporations are evil" mentality.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Teancum wrote:
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:I really hope disney doesn't give EA any publishing rights, at least for right now. I think obsidian can make some pretty good star wars RPG's if given the chance(And of course given the time), I remember someone from obsidain pitching an idea for a dark times RPG recently. DICE would make an epic star wars game, maybe even an epic battlefront type game, however I think with the current buisseness decisions made by thier higher ups....well it probaly wouldn't be a as complete game.
I'm confused. You know EA owns DICE, right? And even though EA is a a sort of big, mean company, they still publish great games. Gamers need to get away from the "corporations are evil" mentality.
"You know EA owns DICE, right?"

Yes sir, that is whom im referring to as the higher ups. I was using DICE as an example of people who can produce good games, but where the customors interests are not best at heart (it's not theme per say, it's EA)

"corporations are evil" mentality <--- Personally I don't beleive in this mentality either. No one is truly evil in that sense. I do believe in the "Companies can rip you off if you let them" mentality though. I Enjoyed Mass Effect and Battlefield and no doubt they are good games. However the buisssiness decisions made by EA are also undoubtably really bad from a consumer stand point. I bring up "DICE would make an epic star wars game, maybe even an epic battlefront type game" becuase they do have that potential just like any other companie.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Don't get me started on EA. I don't hate corporations, I don't think they're evil as a whole(that's a horrible blanket mentality). Doesn't mean that some companies don't have some questionable ethics.

I'm actually hoping for a turn around in their business ethics, since they started to actually apologize for all the bullcrap they've pulled in the past 5 years. I do feel they're pushing DICE too hard to release BF4 however. It's been too soon.
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Don't get me started on EA. I don't hate corporations, I don't think they're evil as a whole(that's a horrible blanket mentality). Doesn't mean that some companies don't have some questionable ethics.

I'm actually hoping for a turn around in their business ethics, since they started to actually apologize for all the bullcrap they've pulled in the past 5 years. I do feel they're pushing DICE too hard to release BF4 however. It's been too soon.
I agree with you 100%, don't hate EA without a reason..... by the way i hate when people use the fact that they have microtransactions in most of their games as an excuse to hate them if you don't want to spend the extra cash (like me) then don't! It's not like ea is throwing those things in your face and saying u can't play our games without these.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I still have issues with microtransactions, but that's not a reason for me to hate them. Doesn't do them any favors though. The main issue is that it sets a bad precedent. They're mostly harmless now, but as long as people are fine with them the envelope will continue to be pushed.

I miss the days when you got what you payed for on the disc though.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

By the way, I want to go on record and say that I DO NOT want DICE to do the next Battlefront unlike 90% of the internet. I don't want Star Wars: Battlefield, I want Star Wars: Battlefront. I despise "gritty" shooters.
AvalancheMaster
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Teancum wrote:By the way, I want to go on record and say that I DO NOT want DICE to do the next Battlefront unlike 90% of the internet. I don't want Star Wars: Battlefield, I want Star Wars: Battlefront. I despise "gritty" shooters.
Ditto. I hope you guys realize that if DICE makes the next Battlefront, modding would be very limited?

Also, I wonder what will happen with iMUSE now that LucasArt's gone.
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

I feel as though mod tools for any game these days are rare, developers think it'll take away from dlc in some cases
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

I hate how developers don't make mod tools usually, the entire reason I bought battlefront for the PC was for mod tools. :x
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

The more complex a game is, the more complex the tools will be.
AvalancheMaster
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Eh, not exactly true, I can recall a game or two that are VERY complex, with mod tools that allow great freedom, and yet are not that complex. WarCraft III or the Civilization series, for example. Or Empire at War, as well.
DylanRocket
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by DylanRocket »

First: :funny2: at the joke then :faint: you mean it

Can't believe they are doing this.Now all I can do is wait for the New Godzilla movie next year and hope a GOOD game comes out.
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

I'm not too surprised at this news at all, especially when their biggest series BFIII was dropped nearing the end of development by Free Radical. It's a shame though they cancelled Star Wars 1313 when I'm sure they could of passed it onto another studio, if that's their plan for future titles anyway. Seems like more mismanagement to me.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Honestly I had lost all faith in LucasArts when Battlefront III was cancelled. I just couldn't see how you could drop such an obvious best-seller from one of the greatest studios. Free Radical would have knocked it out of the park, even if they went over budget and time to do so. No matter how much the game cost and how late it would have been it was still guaranteed to make Scrooge McDuck's fortune look like a piggy bank. They made a lot of mistakes like that, so I say let Disney have their way. It can't be any worse than the last few years.

(Clarification: I say this in regards to the "suits" that ran the business. I have nothing but love for the developers)
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Teancum wrote:Snippet from an email exchange with an ex-dev:
If the Battlefront source code was to be released it would have to come from Lucasarts because they continued to work with it on other platforms (consoles, XBLive, and we were trying to get BF2 released on PSN as a PS2 Classic) long after Pandemic was sold and dissolved. I think Pandemic owned the engine which means EA owns it now while Lucasarts owned their games created with it.
Sounds quite sticky to me: If I'm reading this right, LucasArts would have to have okayed it with EA before they released the source code for Battlefront?

Thinking on this, EA, given they also made a few games with Zero Engine (Mercenaries sequels and LOTR:Conquest) would be quite reluctant to allow any such release. Strongly-worded suggestion to right place might be what we would have to do to get the SWBF source code: we could make it clear that we would use the source code to create new variants of the Battlefront engine, either to patch Battlefront or to create new games with it, without infringing on EA's own property. This could be enshrined in an EULA agreement with the source code, I think.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

ggctuk wrote:Strongly-worded suggestion to right place
Even if we assume this would work, herein lies the problem. We have no idea what "the right place" is, nor what we would have to do to find "the right place"