EA and Disney in a multi-year agreement for Star Wars games

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: EA and Disney in a multi-year agreement for Star Wars ga

Post by minilogoguy18 »

noMatt wrote:This is another question: I love star wars and the possibility to play as a jedi is great. This is why i though that only star wars fans
Just play the JK series, Jedi gameplay is the best by far in those games, IMO stomping the Jedi in SWBF series into the ground and more technical and challenging than TFU series.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... our-friend

Well Ea does want to win back consumers with some new line ups. Not a surprize :p. its good to see that they want to perhaps ensure people something like the simcity launch wont happen agian. Especially after new manangement making encouraging statements.
Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY on Sat May 11, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

1) What does this article have to do with EA and Disney's Star Wars deal? It's mentioned once, maybe twice if you count the "at least the Force will be with them" comment at the end. And the only thing they said with that mention is that they won't becoming for another year.

2) What does this article have to do with "not winning back consumers"? I read that they have 14 titles lined up for 2014, and that their plan is for slow, but steady (and more importantly, safe) growth for investors.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:1) What does this article have to do with EA and Disney's Star Wars deal? It's mentioned once, maybe twice if you count the "at least the Force will be with them" comment at the end. And the only thing they said with that mention is that they won't becoming for another year.

2) What does this article have to do with "not winning back consumers"? I read that they have 14 titles lined up for 2014, and that their plan is for slow, but steady (and more importantly, safe) growth for investors.
1.) It has to do with EA. And becuase of the fact that they made a deal with disney, it is relavant becuase it relates to thier gaming market (some of which will be star wars games). One would think this is pretty relavant to this discussion.

2.) Umm....I dont think I mentioned in any way, shape or form that they are "not winning back costumers" about this article. I think I suggested the oppisite. They have a line up of games that will attempt to rememdy the bad taste left behind from fiasco's like simcity. So when I mention "They want to win consumers back" im not using sarcasm incase you mis-interprited it that way.

Well Ea does want to win back consumers. Not a surprize :p
^ Is this not true? They did infact lose costumers and money this year thanks to unintentional consequences from the sim city luanch and a few situations the past year. It wouldn't be a surprize for them to want to win them back?

also this article is relavant becuase there are a fair share of people who don't like EA. Now that they have the rights to make games about a franchises we love, its completley understandable to question how they may handle it. In this article they are pretty much saying, we will make it right, we will do our best to make these games the best they can be. Personally, someone whom is on the fence like myself likes to see that they are making an effort not to disapoint us.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

They didn't say they want to make the games as best as possible. They don't want to take any risks in the near future and have a nice and safe cash-flow.
In terms of 'lineups' they seem to focus on those that proved successful in the past (safe is the word) and continue them (most likely without any big and/or risky changes).

That doesn't tell me anything about how they will handle the Star Wars games (except that we won't see a big change from already-proven game concepts maybe).

So, they'll continue as is, but try and prevent things like Sim City and any other big flops.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

:wink: Well to each his own on what they take from it. I would like think they want to contniue making good games, thus setting thier standerds and essentially putting thier best into it. Doing the best you can possibly do is sorta of a metaphore for just continueing to do a good job. Of course im reffering to dev's though, not the higher ups.

Speaking of which, do you guys think the Wii U will be left out in cold regarding star wars games? I know EA kinda backed away from nintendo when they refused to use origin on the Wii u. Kinda hoping disney does something for it. In the past game cube and the wii had some interesting titles like the rogue squandren series, some clone wars games and a few other ones. I think rogue squadren was awesome, could it possibly be revived in some way?
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

minilogoguy18 wrote:
noMatt wrote:This is another question: I love star wars and the possibility to play as a jedi is great. This is why i though that only star wars fans
Just play the JK series, Jedi gameplay is the best by far in those games, IMO stomping the Jedi in SWBF series into the ground and more technical and challenging than TFU series.
This is true. I played TFU1 just once and I am done with it. I've played JKA approximately 8 times and I've beaten every difficulty. The Jedi Knight series gameplay is SO MUCH more fun.
The Nasal Abyss
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Post by The Nasal Abyss »

I just want a Star Wars game that is decent and fun to play. We haven't had one of those (barring the lego games) in a long time now. I'm not asking for anything special, although it would be cool if the games they make happen to be great.

DICE, just make me a new battlefront-like game. It'll be a hit no matter what. Visceral, make a new Jedi Knight game. You can handle it. Bioware, don't make anything. You haven't been yourself lately. Please, and thank you, EA.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

minilogoguy18 wrote:
If we're talking about the best saber combat, that award goes to Revenge of the Sith. That game and it's versus mode felt very fluid and real. While JO and JA have great combat when battling a friend, to anyone watching the fight (or viewing some pre-teen's machinima on YouTube) it seems like two goofballs jumping around and flailing their sabers randomly.

Love those games, but if we're talking sabers-only I'd love to see episodic, choose-your-jedi games like RotS.
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

Teancum wrote:
minilogoguy18 wrote:
If we're talking about the best saber combat, that award goes to Revenge of the Sith. That game and it's versus mode felt very fluid and real. While JO and JA have great combat when battling a friend, to anyone watching the fight (or viewing some pre-teen's machinima on YouTube) it seems like two goofballs jumping around and flailing their sabers randomly.

Love those games, but if we're talking sabers-only I'd love to see episodic, choose-your-jedi games like RotS.

FINALLY, someone who apprehiates that game! I always thought revenge of the sith got less credit then it deserved. The saber combat was great and the multiplayer light saber duels were some of the best I've seen in Star Wars games
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Hm, the animations look smooth. What's the gameplay mechanics like though?

Wait, getting further into the Let's Play I found, looks like separate attack and block states like every other saber game besides JK, and that camera angle...

I'm going to have to continue my opinion being JKA has the best mechanics.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

I hate first/third person saber. I'd much rather have a Jedi Power Battles/Revenge of the Sith aspect so I get to enjoy the animations. That being said the games that did first/third person have done it really well.
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

Teancum wrote:I hate first/third person saber. I'd much rather have a Jedi Power Battles/Revenge of the Sith aspect so I get to enjoy the animations. That being said the games that did first/third person have done it really well.
As much as I hate to admit it, ever since battlefront came out I was always disappointed with the saber combat. The combos have always felt repetitive, but whenever I get the offer to play as a hero online, I always take that opportunity to play as a Jedi. My favorite saber combat game would have to be JK2 though, even though revenge of the sith was an excellent game.

Off topic: am I the only one here who found Jedi power battles to be extremely hard? My brother and I were horrible at that game :funny2:
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Zapattack1234 wrote:Off topic: am I the only one here who found Jedi power battles to be extremely hard? My brother and I were horrible at that game :funny2:
I never did beat it. Furthest I got was Tatooine, which (after looking it up) is only half-way through the game.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Teancum wrote:
Zapattack1234 wrote:Off topic: am I the only one here who found Jedi power battles to be extremely hard? My brother and I were horrible at that game :funny2:
I never did beat it. Furthest I got was Tatooine, which (after looking it up) is only half-way through the game.
I beat it with all bar Plo Koon. Seriously, the Final Battle with Plo is really hard.

Revenge of the Sith was in all honesty a good game. Sure, it needed some expansion, but I think it got unfairly slated, and I admired how similar it was to Jedi Power Battles.
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

Looks as though Dice are indeed doing Battlefront 3. KM Troedsson @L_Twin: "Speculations re our DICE LA studio. It's definitely a development studio, not only to "help with recruiting talent". "New Star Wars Games Might Bring Back Old Series"
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Jendo7 wrote:Looks as though Dice are indeed doing Battlefront 3. KM Troedsson @L_Twin: "Speculations re our DICE LA studio. It's definitely a development studio, not only to "help with recruiting talent". "New Star Wars Games Might Bring Back Old Series"
Well, nice knowing you, DICE.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Very Interesting. Hmm, well lets keep doing our part. Keep showing a demand for it I guess will help insure its going to happen. I found it hilarious that they are working in LA where activision is at, its kinda like "Oh hey bro, what are you doing? Oh another Call of Duty? Well good luck with that, we will be working on an awesome star wars game that will make us butt loads more money and we will be doing it right next door :D. You jelly?".
Hidden/Spoiler:
Activison - :( We are very Jelly....
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

ggctuk wrote:
Jendo7 wrote:Looks as though Dice are indeed doing Battlefront 3. KM Troedsson @L_Twin: "Speculations re our DICE LA studio. It's definitely a development studio, not only to "help with recruiting talent". "New Star Wars Games Might Bring Back Old Series"
What do you mean? This sounds like a good thing. :angel:
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Cleb wrote:
ggctuk wrote:
What do you mean? This sounds like a good thing. :angel:
Every developer that has touched Battlefront 3 has turned to Diet Dr. Pepper. Free Radical went into administration. Rebellion churned out the least-liked game in the entire series, Elite Squadron (word is, they tried to create an actual SWBFIII but somehow failed to do so), and LucasArts got shut down. I do hope DICE has better luck, honest-to-God, I do, because it WOULD be awesome to see SWBFIII on Frostbite, so long as they got SP right (I'm thinking of BF3's somewhat underwhelming campaign - I know they can do better, just look at Bad Company 2).