Xbox One discussion - UPDATED 5-22-13

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Xbox One discussion - UPDATED 5-22-13

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Well admittedly, Sony isn't doing anything new. Those shots they took at Microsoft are things that current gen can already do(I saw how they sneaked the $5 for PS+ for multilayer) however Microsoft has failed to deny these claims and yes not all of it is rumor(some of these things have been confirmed, plenty of articles to prove this). In that video he straight up said if you don't have an online connection, then don't buy our new system, buy our old one. That to me confirms a few things, an internet connection is something required for a few things. Now I am not an arrogant person to say "oh but my Internets isn't good" because its actually pretty decent and if I wanted to use these features I myself would have no problem. I cant say the same for other people though, I have a few friends whom live areas that don't get good reception internet wise and play single player games. Why go through the hassle? Not for me, but for them? They just want something that will play games(and they can, just not with the Xbox one it seems). I would think they lose customers that way, at least the ones that can't help to have bad connections(Unless MS wants them to move out of their comfort zone and move somewhere else just to play their new console.). However that check online once every 24 hours things hmm...nah not a realistic thing for me. I do have college full time and my education always comes first, their is no way I am going to log once everyday, there are going to be quite a few times where I wont even have time for myself to do that or play games.
Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Countries that can play the Xbone at launch. If you live in a grey country, you are out of luck and even if you buy it, the thing won't work.

This is especially ironic because one of the grey countries, Poland, is where CD Projekt is located. They can make the Witcher 3, but they can't play it.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Why can't those countries play?
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Grev wrote:Why can't those countries play?
The grey represents poor to no good internet connections. The Xbox one requires an internet connection for a few features(Or at least to update a few things, something you would miss out on if you don't get good reception). I wouldn't know why they don't, I am sure some it is because they can't help it, internet doesn't reach everyone for a variety of different reasons.
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:
Grev wrote:Why can't those countries play?
The grey represents poor to no good internet connections. The Xbox one requires an internet connection for a few features(Or at least to update a few things, something you would miss out on if you don't get good reception). I wouldn't know why they don't, I am sure some it is because they can't help it, internet doesn't reach everyone for a variety of different reasons.
I think what it means is that even if you had a perfect connection you still wouldn't be able to play if you were in one of those countries. I guess microsoft decided those countries were not good enough to have a connection or something and made it so theyre not part of the "grid." :x
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Teancum wrote:Rumors only - but sources are reporting to reliable websites that Sony's DRM free policy was merely a PR play, and that it may still end up having heavy DRM.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/e3-2013 ... y-sources/

The plot thickens...
I don't doubt it was a PR move, especially with Sony's "How To Share PS4 Games" video. But I DO doubt they'd reinstate any DRM that would counteract what that video showed. False advertising leads to lawsuits, which are MUCH worse than pirates.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Teancum wrote:Rumors only - but sources are reporting to reliable websites that Sony's DRM free policy was merely a PR play, and that it may still end up having heavy DRM.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/e3-2013 ... y-sources/

The plot thickens...
I don't doubt it was a PR move, especially with Sony's "How To Share PS4 Games" video. But I DO doubt they'd reinstate any DRM that would counteract what that video showed. False advertising leads to lawsuits, which are MUCH worse than pirates.
Rather than letting anything spin out of control, remember that you can only really work with what the company said. They (Sony) clarified that whatever DRM was implemented, it would be on the hands of the publishers, which is (editorializing) essentially the same as this generation. They've also said that they won't limit resale of used physical copies of games (which was the theme of their "gotcha" video) and that their first-party games won't use an online-pass-type DRM.

Source: http://www.gamefront.com/sony-third-par ... line-only/

There are going to be a lot of rumors either way as mega-fans try to spin things for "their" console, or as journalists look for the interesting story, or as things get misinterpreted. It's fair to make your own assumptions, but it's best not to project too far down any path of thought - stick with what companies have or haven't promised, and we'll all learn in a few months anyway what's up.
Loopy53
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Earth Apocalypse
Games I'm Playing :: swbf2 bf3 cod
xbox live or psn: Dont have one

Post by Loopy53 »

Fusion wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Countries that can play the Xbone at launch. If you live in a grey country, you are out of luck and even if you buy it, the thing won't work.

Just out of curiosity, why is russia in green? And why wouldn't it work in "greyed out" countries? I think this whole x box one is a load of [dr. pepper] and once we know what sony is up to I think I will be opting for a play station 4.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

From Microsoft's Pre-Order information page:
Xbox One-Supported Xbox Live Countries

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States

Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game’s specific geographic regions.
Which means even if you somehow get the console and a game, you need to actually be in one of those countries to activate your game.
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

Does Microsoft have a death wish?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

OMG! LET'S GET ON THE HATE WAGON!

RE: The map -- seems obvious. If it ain't in green, it's probably not going to be sold there anyway. You'll buy a PS4, and you'll be fine. Crisis averted. Plus this is a launch chart. It'll undoubtedly grow with time.

RE: DRM -- that's about the only issue here. But if you don't want to deal with it, don't buy it. It just seems like so many people *need* something to get riled up about. The PS4 is going to be an amazing system, too. If the Xbox One doesn't work for you, buy the alternative.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:However that check online once every 24 hours things hmm...nah not a realistic thing for me. I do have college full time and my education always comes first, their is no way I am going to log once everyday, there are going to be quite a few times where I wont even have time for myself to do that or play games.
Not seeing the problem here. The next time you boot the console (be it 25 hours or 80) it checks in with the servers and you can play.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Lol hate wagon? interesting statement
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

RE: Fair enough
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Anonymous Microsoft Engineer heads to PasteBin to attempt to clear the air
>The thing is we suck at telling the story. The whole point of the DRM switch from disc based to cloud based is to kill disc swapping, scratched discs, bringing discs to friends house, trade-ins for Diet Dr. Pepper value with nothign going back to developers, and high game costs. If you want games cheaper then 59.99, you have to limit used games somehow. Steam's model requires a limited used game model.

>The thing is, the DRM is really really similar to steam... You can login anywhere and play your games, anyone in your house can play with the family xbox. The only diff is steam you have to sign in before playing, and Xbox does it automatically at night for you (once per 24 hours)

>It's a long tail strategy, just like steam. Steam had it's growing pains at the beginning with all it's drm Diet Dr. Pepper as well. [...] For digital downloads steam had no real competition at the time, they were competing against boxed sales. At the time people were pretty irate about steam, (on 4chan too...) It was only once they had a digital marketplace with DRM that was locked down to prevent sharing that they could do super discounted Diet Dr. Pepper.

>Think about it, on steam you get a game for the true cost of the game, 5$-30$. On a console you have to pay for that PLUS any additional licenses for when you sell / trade / borrow / etc. If the developer / publisher can't get it on additional licenses (like steam), then they charge the first person more. [...] If we say "Hey publishers, you limit game to 39.99, we ensure every license transfer you get 10$, gamestop gets 20$" that is a decent model... Microsoft gets a license fee on first and subsequent game purchases, compared to just first now? That's a revenue increase.

>Competition is the best man, it helps drive both to new heights. See technology from the Cold War. If we had no USSR, we'd be way worse off today. TLDR: Bring it on Steam :)

2/4

>Yeah we passed that around the office at Xbox. Most of us were like "Well played Sony, Well played". That being said they are just riding the hype train of ZOMG THEY ARE TRYING TO Diet Dr. Pepper US FOR NO REASON. Without actually thinking about how convienent it would be for the majority of the time to not find that disc your brother didn't put back... [...] just simpleminded people not seeing the bigger picture. Some PS4 viral team made them all "U TOOK R DISCS" and they hiveminded.

>Everyone and their mother complains about how gamestop Diet dr. pepper them on their trade ins, getting 5$ for their used games. We come in trying to find a way to take money out of gamestop, and put some in developers and get you possibly cheaper games and everyone bitches at MS. Well, if you want the @#$@ing from Gamestop, go play PS4.

>The goal is to move to digital downloads, but Gamestop, Walmart, Target, Amazon are KIND OF Diet Dr. Pepper ENTRENCHED in the industry. They have a lot of power, and the shift has to be gradual. Long term goal is steam for consoles. [...] If you always want to stay with what you have, then keep current consoles, or a PS4. We're TRYING to move the industry forwards towards digital distribution... it'sa bumpy road

>Publishers have enourmous power. Microsoft is trying to balance between consumer delight, and publisher wishes. If we cave to far in either direction you have a non-starting product. WiiU goes too far to consumer, you have no 3rd party support to shake a stick at. PS4 is status-quo. XB1 is trying to push some things, at the expense of others. We have a vision, we'll see if it works in the coming years

>Living room transformation. We want to own the living room. Every living room TV with an XBox on input one. It's the thing that gives the signal to your TV, everything is secondary. The future, where games, TV, internet telephony, all that Diet Dr. Pepper happens magically on some huge Diet Dr. Pepper screen with hand / voice gestures... That's our goal.

3/4

>Google TV + PS4 + Minority report level gestures, that combined with a sick second screen experience (which is really hot for TV, I know I know.. tv tv tv tv tv... but it's Diet Dr. Pepper sick when you have it). Games will be the same, there are more exclusives to MS then PS atm, and Kinect 2 makes Kinect 1 look like a childs toy.

>By default it's on, listening for "Xbox On". You can turn it off tho, and turn the console like OFF off. OFF off is required for Germany / other countries that require it (no vampire appliances) [...] It has to be plugged in for the console to post. You can turn off everything it does from the settings. Think of it like airplane mode for the iPhone. You can't just unplug the cellular radio, but you can turn it off.

>Instead of 10mins, is 24hrs for your console, and 1 or 2 at a friends house. Really the majority of people have a speck of internet at least once a day. And if you don't. Don't buy an Xbox 1. Just like if you didn't have a broadband connection don't get Live, and if you don't have an HDTV the 360 isn't that great for you either. New tech, new req. This allows us to do cool Diet Dr. Pepper when we can assume things like you have a kinect, you have internet, etc.

>Current plan is basically you're Diet Dr. Pepper after 24 hours. Yeah... I know. Kind of sucks. I believe they will probably revist the time period and / or find a diff way to "call in" to ensure you haven't sold your license to gamestop or something... but there is no plan YET. I'm hoping the change it, but I don't work on that so I don't have much influence there /sigh

>If the power goes out you ain't playing Diet Dr. Pepper. I'm assuming you mean the internet goes out but you have power for TV and Xbox. Yes, You're Diet Dr. Pepper for single player games. Again, that's the PoR (Plan of record), but I expect it to change after the e3 cluster[fuddie-duddie]

>What fee? There is no fee to play your games at your friends house. Never has, never will. Even x360 digital downloads could do that.

4/4

>The cloud capabilities is the Diet Dr. Pepper they like the most. We basically made a huge cloud compute Diet Dr. Pepper and made it free. What people are doing with it is kind of cool. THe original intention was to get all the Multiplayer servers not requiring 3rd party costs (Like EA shutting down game servers to cut costs), as well as taking all the games that servers hosted by the clients (Halo, etc), and have all that compute done in the cloud allowing more CPU cycles for gameplay. That will really expand what developers can do. Anything that doesn't need per frame calculation and can handle 100ms delays can be shifted to the cloud. That's huge.

>SmartGlass + IE is going to be pretty freaking sweet. 1 finger cursor, 2 finger direct manip. Basically if you think of a laptop trackpad where your phone/ slate is the trackpad and the monitor is your TV... it's that. The tech is there, just needs to be applied. There is some really cool Diet Dr. Pepper going on with Petra + controllers that pairs people with controllers. So if person with controller two trades controlers with controller 1, their profiles magically switch. It's sick. What does this matter? Now if you lean left/right it knows which person is leaning, even if 4 people are all int he same room. It's awesome.

>New service using Azure for cloud compute. Allows developers to not use clients for hosting multiplayer servers, or other tasks that do not require per frame calcuations. It's pretty sweet.

>Honestly, if you care about anything other then pure games AT ALL. Xbox 1 > PS4. If all you do is play games, and nothing else, PS4.

This was all from the Microsoft engineer that was on /b/ last night.

>It's not worth my time to prove it, or risk my Job. I work in Studio A, 40th ave in Redmond, Wa. The thai place in the studio cafeteria has double punch wednesdays. Go ahead and call them and verify if you want.
http://www.neowin.net/news/anonymous-xb ... intentions

Personally, I'm still of the opinion that the consumer should be given the /option/ to purchase a disc to share, or buy the game digitally. But, like Tean said earlier, that's probably not the way it's going to be in the future. PC games are already headed in the direction of digital-download-only.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

One thing we can all agree on is that MS's PR is awful. If this really is the case, it needed to be said ages ago, officially. Not by some anon risking his job.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

THEWULFMAN wrote:One thing we can all agree on is that MS's PR is awful. If this really is the case, it needed to be said ages ago, officially. Not by some anon risking his job.
Agreed. But *if* the Engineer's story is true then it finally helps people to see how I see it, and (thankfully) I wasn't too far off. Admittedly I took a bit of a dive into the unknown there.

I really like the idea of killing off GameStop-like trades, and the "Engineer" put it well. I'd rather the publisher or developer get more money since they can turn around and use it to make great games. I won't feel bad if reselling stores suffer, since I can just buy games elsewhere. it's funny he said the DRM is just like Steam. That's exactly how I thought of it.

The 24 hour check in thing is still frustrating though. I get the license issue, but the "Engineer" says 'if you lose power, tough cookies'. But what if someone is totally broke, has to choose between paying internet and feeding their family for the next month. Meh, I suppose in that case what are they doing dropping $500 on a new console.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Teancum wrote:The 24 hour check in thing is still frustrating though. I get the license issue, but the "Engineer" says 'if you lose power, tough cookies'. But what if someone is totally broke, has to choose between paying internet and feeding their family for the next month. Meh, I suppose in that case what are they doing dropping $500 on a new console.
I semi-agree. While I currently have great and stable internet, I don't know how long that'll last. I don't see why the checkin can't be at least weekly; so what if you pirate a game for a week, they catch you at the end of that week and delete it.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
Teancum wrote:The 24 hour check in thing is still frustrating though. I get the license issue, but the "Engineer" says 'if you lose power, tough cookies'. But what if someone is totally broke, has to choose between paying internet and feeding their family for the next month. Meh, I suppose in that case what are they doing dropping $500 on a new console.
I semi-agree. While I currently have great and stable internet, I don't know how long that'll last. I don't see why the checkin can't be at least weekly; so what if you pirate a game for a week, they catch you at the end of that week and delete it.
You can beat most games inside of a week.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Teancum wrote:
Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
Several games you can beat inside a day.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

ggctuk wrote:
Teancum wrote:
Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
Several games you can beat inside a day.
Very many games you can beat inside of a day, not just several games. Just about any FPS nowadays with a campaign is beatable in 6-10 hours.