Xbox One discussion - UPDATED 5-22-13

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Re: Xbox One discussion - UPDATED 5-22-13

Post by giftheck »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
ggctuk wrote:
Teancum wrote:
Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
Teancum wrote:The 24 hour check in thing is still frustrating though. I get the license issue, but the "Engineer" says 'if you lose power, tough cookies'. But what if someone is totally broke, has to choose between paying internet and feeding their family for the next month. Meh, I suppose in that case what are they doing dropping $500 on a new console.
I semi-agree. While I currently have great and stable internet, I don't know how long that'll last. I don't see why the checkin can't be at least weekly; so what if you pirate a game for a week, they catch you at the end of that week and delete it.
You can beat most games inside of a week.
Several games you can beat inside a day.
Very many games you can beat inside of a day, not just several games. Just about any FPS nowadays with a campaign is beatable in 6-10 hours.
That's what I mean. Poor wording on my part.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-O ... 56737.html

Though some company's use high end pc's to run games/features for quality idk...just seems pretty interesting they went this route. The games they ran crashed on it the windows 7...why not just run it on an actually xbox one? Ps4 ran ps4 games on a ps4 during their conference. You can kinda see how that looks bad.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-O ... 56737.html

Though some company's use high end pc's to run games/features for quality idk...just seems pretty interesting they went this route. The games they ran crashed on it the windows 7...why not just run it on an actually xbox one? Ps4 ran ps4 games on a ps4 during their conference. You can kinda see how that looks bad.
WIndows 7. Not even Windows 8, which is one of the OS' on the XBox One. Are Microsoft not confident in either product?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Do we need to get into this? We get you don't like the X1. But if you want to throw mud, Assassin's Creed 4 crashed on the PS4 DURING the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyUJIQBMna4

And speaking of it running on Win 7. What does this guy think they use for a devkit? No system, PS4 or X1 or otherwise, coming out this fall has much more than a glorified PC as their dev machines. It's that way with every first-generation devkit of new hardware since nobody knows what the final configuration will be when they finish the system (these are sent out really early). So it's perfectly understandable that while the architecture is the same they didn't have X1s on hand. Big deal.
willinator
Major
Major
Projects :: [Coming of the Sentinels]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft Halo
xbox live or psn: PC pwns all!

Post by willinator »

I think why they're pointing out that it runs on windows 7 is because there is a newer Microsoft OS.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Teancum wrote:

Do we need to get into this? We get you don't like the X1. But if you want to throw mud, Assassin's Creed 4 crashed on the PS4 DURING the show.
Destiny froze as well.
willinator wrote:I think why they're pointing out that it runs on windows 7 is because there is a newer Microsoft OS.
Drivers. Microsoft would probably rather use Win8, but due to the fact that Xbone devkits probably came out before Win8, Win7 was the better option, due to the devkits being made for Win7. I don't entirely understand the details of it, but I'm pretty sure that's why.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

What fluffy said. The logical conclusion is that both Win8 and X1 were built at least somewhat side-by-side. So to have a stable environment it has to run on Win 7, which had been completed for some time. The SDK was likely developed there, so it makes sense that it runs directly from there in a contained Win 7 environment that simulates X1's architecture. Pretty standard for early devkits, as I said before.

Here's a real good example. Take a look at some of the prototype dev hardware from earlier generations this YouTube user has scored over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ASSEMblerEX/videos

On a different note:

Something dawned on me yesterday. While box-for-box the PS4 is more powerful, the X1 actually has the capability to outshine it. With "the power of the cloud" (as Microsoft puts it) they can literally use external hardware (the cloud) to do heavy computations and send the completed data back to the X1. Look at OnLive. That thing LIVES on the cloud. The console itself (if you use it) just sends button data to the cloud server, which then does all of the processing and sends back a video and audio feed, with incredibly low latency.

What will be the deciding factor on whether the X1 can outdo the PS4 is how developers use the cloud. That being said, neither console will get anywhere near their physical limitations for years to come anyway.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Xbox One discussion - UPDATED 6-15-13

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

:D I hope I can find good news instead, lol I can see it frustrates some people (Could easily be avoided if Microsoft gave clear answers). Well don't worry, I am not being selective with the articles (especially since good press isn't as abundant as the...well negative ones.) So I went out of my way to find one...sorta. Well its something.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-we-wont-ren ... -513602148

Edit: Fluffy has a video below me that summarizes it. Video option would probably be better.
Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

This is a pretty interesting interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMhjM9BK7M
He throws around some buzzwords and doesn't answer a few of the questions too well, but he also cleared up some technical aspects, and what can I say, Major Nelson's an enthusiastic guy and he's awesome.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

I think both the article and the video are regarding the same thing. Watching the video is probably more efficient though. Thanks for the link Fluffy!

*On another note this is also pretty interesting. Another interview with Mr Nelson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtSGFryKwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... RtSGFryKwo

Both show very interesting sides of this gentlemen. I think the first video from fluffy answers the questions a bit more appropriately compared to the second links as they aren't as clear as they probably should have been. Again not being selective, these were very good chances to answer questions concerned consumers have.

Something Mr Nelson brings up:

*You can trade a game you own once to a friend, steam cant do that. Ok true sir, Both Xbox One and steam have DRM and that is one advantage steam can't do.

*Sorta says Xbox one will not lock you out long term. Ok should have said that sooner(waiting for more information from them).

I have steam, sure it cant do the give a used game to a friend but the need for update checks isn't as stressed. I know for sure I can download a game and put it on offline mode. After I download that game and install it, I can click a little button to put it on offline mode and even put an option not to update that game(I have a lap top so I can turn my wifi off and it can still be set to offline mode after a game is installed.) Then get down on some republic commando or fall out. That's something one of my friends did when he came over to my house. Used my internet, downloaded a game and put it on offline mode. The way it is right now, you could even download your game, go home to an internet less environment and set it to offline mode there if the game's on your hard drive. Its nice to have a for sure option like that. I see that as much less of a hassle compared to what information we have now for the xbox one.

Comparing it to its competitors, im not going to go into details about how used games are handled. We know what Nintendo and Sony can do already, its a matter of what seems like a better deal or better preference.

Also Major Nelson mentioned something about the future of gaming (something he suggests Xbone will do), I would like to go into a better gaming future for sure. If that future includes better, affordable and accessible internet for everyone who can't get it so that the xbox one can be used at its full potential, I am all aboard that train. :yes:
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/micro ... 1100-4673/

I'm listening. Get rid of the mandatory Kinect and we'll have a sale.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

They'd have to at least match the PS4's price for me to even be remotely interested, as well as removing mandatory Kinect 2.

BTW, pity that link went down due to site maintenance. I'd have liked to read what it said myself.

EDIT: Welp, it's official: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Consumer rights FTW!

Same article but a little heavier:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/ ... e-policies

:music: For a good two weeks I thought they were going to dig themselves into a bigger hole in the ground. I guess my machinima regarding them will stop production.

Small preview of what it would have looked like:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

Looks like they're taking a step in the right direction at least.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Looks like they're still going to do the family sharing thing with digital games, just not at launch because they need to rework how it functions. This is good, can't really see why anyone would be upset at this.
Labj
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Halo 4
xbox live or psn: SiulS2409

Post by Labj »

Fusion wrote:I'm listening. Get rid of the mandatory Kinect and we'll have a sale.
"We still believe Kinect is a really critical part of the architecture, we think it changes the way you can interact with your experiences." - Marc Whitten, Xbox One Chief product officer.

Looks like we will still have to deal with Sauron's eye.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Not sure why nobody's updates this, but whatever.

Good news everyone!
-KINECT sensor no longer needs to be connected
-Headset will be shipped with Xbox One console

Can't remember what else I read on NSite -, will update further if I remember.

Anyway, I sorta love Microsoft for the fact that they've listened so much to their fans and turned almost everything around with the One. ("Whoa! I know kung fu!")
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

They even lowered the price. That was a huge surprise.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Labj wrote:
Fusion wrote:I'm listening. Get rid of the mandatory Kinect and we'll have a sale.
"We still believe Kinect is a really critical part of the architecture, we think it changes the way you can interact with your experiences." - Marc Whitten, Xbox One Chief product officer.

Looks like we will still have to deal with Sauron's eye.
The fans and the sales numbers :funny2:

Well its good they turned a lot of those ugly polices around. Just goes to show that the consumer is always right and they made a very smart move with all of that.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

THEWULFMAN wrote:They even lowered the price. That was a huge surprise.
Uhhh, it's still $499