Xbox One discussion - UPDATED 5-22-13

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Xbox One discussion - UPDATED 5-22-13

Post by Fusion »

What I also meant was that pirates/hackers as a group tend to be very immature and/or rebellious, so the mere presence of something like these DRM methods might be seen as a challenge rather than a prevention. Also, it would probably be one of their dreams to be remembered as "the guy who hacked the Xbox One," judging by how proud the people like Lulzsec, Geohot, and SuperDAE were with themselves.

Haven't studies shown that PC piracy has gone down due to the relatively lax DRM and easy access (price, safety, and amount of clicks) to games that programs like Steam have brought along? In fact, I'd be certain to say it has just looking at some of the people on there right now with 200+ games bought (with something half not even played yet).

Edit:
Don't fool yourself. People want to get up in arms about DRM, but the industry is dying. It's on life support. Is piracy the only reason? No, far from it, but the point is that it has to change--to evolve into something different to survive. This sort of crippled-trade (which people don't have the full story on yet) issue people take with the XBOne is stupid. Can you trade your Steam or Origin games after you've played them? Can you trade a PSN title or Xbox LIVE Arcade game? No. They're digital, which is exactly where the industry is going. Microsoft simply manned up and decided it would be willing to take all the tomatoes from the audience while Sony still hasn't even shown us what the system looks like.
A digital future is a good thing, but are the restraints of a digital system a good thing to place on a still physical market? I don't even know why they're bothering with discs when they might as well just be selling code cards at Gamestop instead. Sure, it's nice for people who have slower connections that don't want to wait an hour every time a new game comes out, but seeing as they need the internet to even verify the game anyway, why bother?

The methods of the Xbox's store are still to be determined as well, so I won't get into that right now until more is known. All I can say is I hope they looked to how Steam works and aren't thinking a system where every game is $60 at all times is going to work as well.

Edit 2:
I can understand your position on this. I can also understand from my position as a consumer, that this console is not for me. Agree to disagree, I suppose.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Fusion wrote:The methods of the Xbox's store are still to be determined as well, so I won't get into that right now until more is known. All I can say is I hope they looked to how Steam works and aren't thinking a system where every game is $60 at all times is going to work as well.
I can totally get on board with this. While Games on Demand titles are more often going on sale, that wasn't the case for the longest time, and even still some games are far too expensive. I totally agree that I hope that they take a page from Steam and insert it into their current sale strategies so that old games aren't still stupidly expensive.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Mmmmmmm I think I'm with Fusion on this one. This is far from necessary. Changes are obviously necessary to keep the industry going for years to come, but these changes don't help, they hurt. They're not expansive, they're restrictive.

Containing piracy, in my opinion and to use an old idiom, is like holding water. The tighter you squeeze, the more that slips between your fingers until you have nothing left. Less restriction, sure, pirates can take the game, but it will also be easier and safer for people to buy the game than it will be to pirate it. See: iTunes.

If Playstation has similar policies to Xbox, I will be getting a Wii U and nothing else this generation.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I'm also going to throw my hat of agreement with Fusion and Twilight. Tean, you're a very smart man, but you can be wrong sometimes. :p

I'm especially agreeing with TW about the pirating. Sim City 5? Always online thing? Was piratable within a week, without always online. Pirates will never be stopped, and they love a challenge.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

For the record, I disagree with the policies thus for on the XBOne, but as Fusion said we'll hear more tomorrow at E3, and as much as I hate the way things are moving I'm willing to accept them. I guess being older I feel like I don't want to waste the energy to fight such things. If the XBOne does what I need it to and has great games, I'll pick it up. If the PS4 is better, I'll go that route.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

...aaaand Microsoft just lost this console generation battle.

PS4 $399

Xbox One $499

Also this was hilarious. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCGep9OeCk
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Yep. Soul = crushed.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I always loved and respected Microsoft, so I can sympathize, Tean. On the bright side, they're going to probably to horrifically compared to the PS4, so they'll fix the problem in like a decade for the next gen. :p
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I personally thought Sony's conference was the worst of yesterday. They didn't show anything special AT ALL in terms of games. Yeah, they trumped MS, but I thought that was the only really good part of it. I think the Xbone showed a much more impressive arsenal of games yesterday. Spark looked awesome, that one insomniac game that I can't remember the name of, more Halo, Fiveza, etc.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Meh. I sort of get that, but honestly it doesn't really matter if the Xbone has more games on the metaphorical shelf. Right now what people cared about was price and the sharing games thing. Now Sony can FINISH THEM by showing off games in the months to come before the holidays and their release.
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

Theres no hope of me getting an xbox one now because of the price, if I get any new system it will be a ps4, looks a lot better :wink:
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Meh. I sort of get that, but honestly it doesn't really matter if the Xbone has more games on the metaphorical shelf. Right now what people cared about was price and the sharing games thing. Now Sony can FINISH THEM by showing off games in the months to come before the holidays and their release.
But what matters about a console is the games. Microsoft showed off more games that look good, end of story. And I'd prefer to get multiplat games on Xbox over playstation so I don't have to use a dualshock... ugh.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Yeah, I'm still sold on MS in the end, but what they've done is convince me to squeeze every last bit of life out of my 360 before moving over. Still pretty sad.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Teancum wrote:Yeah, I'm still sold on MS in the end, but what they've done is convince me to squeeze every last bit of life out of my 360 before moving over. Still pretty sad.
Same here. I'll move on either if my 360 red rings, I wind up with enough money somehow, or I find it under the christmas tree. But I really can't see myself moving to Playstation anytime soon. A Wii U is in my future, though.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Meh. I sort of get that, but honestly it doesn't really matter if the Xbone has more games on the metaphorical shelf. Right now what people cared about was price and the sharing games thing. Now Sony can FINISH THEM by showing off games in the months to come before the holidays and their release.
The PS4 is more my price range, either though they didn't show that many exciting games(Well kingdom hearts 3...ok that is pretty sweet). I think the price tag of $500 will hurt Ms a little bit. In this economy, lol I wish you the best of luck gentlemen, especially after last month's conference and Sony pretty much one upping them at the end of their E3 presentation.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
But what matters about a console is the games. Microsoft showed off more games that look good, end of story. And I'd prefer to get multiplat games on Xbox over playstation so I don't have to use a dualshock... ugh.
That's what you'd think, but nowadays console creators don't seem to think it's about the games anymore. It's about what ELSE you can throw in a console, games come last. I remember old ads for the Gamecube. "Buy the console, it has all these cool games"

With Xbone it's "Buy this console, it's like a Blu-ray, DVR, TV thing!"

So yeah, games are what matters most to me and you, but not to a lot of other people. *shrugs*

This is also why I'm a PC man for life. Last console I bought was a PS2, or was it the Wii? I forget which was last. The latter was primarily for all the lego games my dad and I could play.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... iUzaqOU06M

Interesting statement microsoft.
I've started to warm over to the Xbox One's policies, and frankly anyone that can post on the internet shouldn't have issue with it, because clearly they have the means to let the console check in once a day. I feel bad for those who can't, but even then the ratio of potential consumers against those who can't check in online is really small. Personally I have no issue with the once a day check in, it's the game DRM that's the problem. People can be all "what if your internet or Xbox LIVE is down??" - but if my internet is down I probably couldn't pay my bills (haven't lost internet EVER in 7 years of having high speed except when I was broke) and if Xbox LIVE is down MS has a history of compensating users.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Teancum wrote:
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... iUzaqOU06M

Interesting statement microsoft.
I've started to warm over to the Xbox One's policies, and frankly anyone that can post on the internet shouldn't have issue with it, because clearly they have the means to let the console check in once a day. I feel bad for those who can't, but even then the ratio of potential consumers against those who can't check in online is really small. Personally I have no issue with the once a day check in, it's the game DRM that's the problem. People can be all "what if your internet or Xbox LIVE is down??" - but if my internet is down I probably couldn't pay my bills (haven't lost internet EVER in 7 years of having high speed except when I was broke) and if Xbox LIVE is down MS has a history of compensating users.
I truly hope you enjoy your new system. However after all the given information, I know for sure im not even going to touch it. Some might call me a hater(I think I have plenty of news articles back up my decision), but Im not going to buy into this, doesn't matter about the games or features. It infringes my rights as a consumer on what I can do with my purchases. Im not comfortable with the policies and if they are smart, they will change their them because I(and judging from the reactions of others) wont settle for less.
Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Rumors only - but sources are reporting to reliable websites that Sony's DRM free policy was merely a PR play, and that it may still end up having heavy DRM.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/e3-2013 ... y-sources/

The plot thickens...