Xbox One discussion - UPDATED 5-22-13

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Xbox One discussion - UPDATED 5-22-13

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Seems like that applause from the conference was faked.

http://n4g.com/news/1261938/scandal-app ... -the-press

https://twitter.com/AdamSessler/status/ ... 2662077443

lol, wow.

also for those of you who dont want to watch the full xbox reveal, here is a sum up in 2 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

One thing is for certain. I have no desire to buy any of the new consoles so far.
CommanderCody
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Games I'm Playing :: swbf2 skyrim

Post by CommanderCody »

I am very lucky with my old Xbox and the Xbox 360. But I think I would change the factions to the Playstation 4 sometimes. :faint:
NullCommando
Jedi
Jedi
xbox live or psn: NullCommando

Post by NullCommando »

You know, I recently lost my TV remote, so $300+ Voice Controller seems like the perfect replacement!

I've always wanted to talk to my TV anyway. :P

On a more serious note; unless they show something at E3 that really shows that the Xbox One is a product worth buying, (I think they would need some fantastic looking exclusives) I highly doubt this is going to be anything more than just a gimmicky replacement for my home DVR.
DylanRocket
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by DylanRocket »

So if I understand correctly,

1.Pre-Owned Games cost more than new ones because they add the original price to it
2.I need to use it once EVERY DAY!
And 3.Its design sucks very bad lol

Well I am certainly not waisting my money on some garbage...
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

So I've been putting some thought to this pre-owned mess. What if Microsoft means you'll only have to pay the fee if the game is CURRENTLY registered to another system. And, if you wish to sell your game, you can "unregister" the game by either uninstalling it entirely, or just deactivating it on your account. Then, when someone buys the pre-owned game, they're essentially just buying the game key from you. GameStop would have to more thoroughly check used games to see if the owner really deactivated it, and maybe even just stop selling them altogether to avoid scams like people simply writing the game code down, selling it, then waiting a week before reactivating...

It's still convoluted and stupid and unnecessary, but at least it would let friends borrow the game without problem, and you wouldn't be paying more for a used game than a new one.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

DylanRocket wrote:1.Pre-Owned Games cost more than new ones because they add the original price to it
2.I need to use it once EVERY DAY!
And 3.Its design sucks very bad lol
1: I'm pretty sure that the used games fee isn't happening anymore. I'll try and find a source. EDIT: Source. So it may happen, but based on that it's unlikely.
2: Also pretty sure that YOU don't have to connect every day, but the console itself will connect every day.
3: I personally like it, but you're entitled to your own opinion.

And I honestly think I'm gonna get this. It doesn't seem the best, but we'll see more at E3 and it's gonna have Forza 5 as a launch title. Not gonna miss out on that.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Forza motorsport is one of my favorite car racing series! (Forza 3 for the 360 is probaly my favorite). But if these practices are confirmed at the electronic expo, I can live with out it (plenty of other alternatives). Hopefully all this press and consumer complaints will help them change thier minds if they are infact doing what these articles are claiming.

im very interested in your source, it would help shed some new light on the situation.

also seems like they made a little flip flop, now they support indie games after they just said they would not last week? Interesting. Can't seem to get a clear answer from them yet.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-vows-to-sup ... -510129167

I guess all the tweets and media from them(indie devs) has changed microsoft's tune.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

So what happens with my Xbox live and the $350 of games in arcade I've bought? I don't want the new machine and I'm not excited to be any Xbox titles knowing that eventually my current stuff dns account won't work? Is this the end of Xbox gaming for people like me who want to play a cheap used Xbox game from eBay and play maybe 5 times a month?0
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Then you keep the 360. I don't think they're gonna stop supporting it for a while. And it's not like Microsoft isn't doing backwards compatibility because they're lazy or money-grubbing. The architecture is too different. The PS3 had the same issue, but they circumvented the issue by putting an entire PS2 inside the PS3, which is why it was so expensive at launch. This way, it'll likely be about as much to just buy a 360 and a One than it would be if they put them both together.
DylanRocket
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by DylanRocket »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote: 1: I'm pretty sure that the used games fee isn't happening anymore. I'll try and find a source. EDIT: Source. So it may happen, but based on that it's unlikely.
2: Also pretty sure that YOU don't have to connect every day, but the console itself will connect every day.
3: I personally like it, but you're entitled to your own opinion.

And I honestly think I'm gonna get this. It doesn't seem the best, but we'll see more at E3 and it's gonna have Forza 5 as a launch title. Not gonna miss out on that.
Thanks for clearing it up.I don't understand this system lol
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:Then you keep the 360. I don't think they're gonna stop supporting it for a while. And it's not like Microsoft isn't doing backwards compatibility because they're lazy or money-grubbing. The architecture is too different. The PS3 had the same issue, but they circumvented the issue by putting an entire PS2 inside the PS3, which is why it was so expensive at launch. This way, it'll likely be about as much to just buy a 360 and a One than it would be if they put them both together.
It's Microsoft. Are you saying that they couldn't come up with a software emulator that would run 360 titles? And it's funny you bring up the PS3, because they ended up removing the PS2 tech from later models, but then started bringing out PS2 'classics' which are just emulations.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

If your argument is "Oh my god it is so easy to implement an emulation of an entire system even with a completely different hardware architecture", I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

I'd also like to take this time to point out that aside from their handhelds, the Wii and Wii U have been the only Nintendo systems with backwards compatibility implementations. If you want to play Nintendo 64 games, you have to own a... *gasp*... Nintendo 64! And while, yes, the implications of downloadable games makes it harder to justify the "Just keep your Xbox 360 if you want to play those games" argument, the fact of the matter is that that's the easy solution to this "problem".
Last edited by Twilight_Warrior on Wed May 29, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:If your argument is "Oh my god it is so easy to implement an emulation of an entire system even with a completely different hardware architecture", I'm sorry, but you're wrong.
This. Especially when that architecture gets continually more complex with each generation. Wii U is backwards compatible because it's built on GameCube architecture, as was the Wii. PS2 games worked on early PS3 because there was a chip on board that did the work.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Teancum wrote:Wii U is backwards compatible because it's built on GameCube architecture, as was the Wii.
I was under the impression the Wii U is not backwards compatible with Gamecube discs, or have I cared so little about the Wii U that I got my facts wrong?
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

THEWULFMAN wrote:
Teancum wrote:Wii U is backwards compatible because it's built on GameCube architecture, as was the Wii.
I was under the impression the Wii U is not backwards compatible with Gamecube discs, or have I cared so little about the Wii U that I got my facts wrong?
AFAIK it's not. But it is with Wii discs.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

The Wii U is backwards-compatible with Wii game discs only.
EliteJay
Private Second Class
Projects :: Star Destroyer V1.0
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII SWRC

Post by EliteJay »

((Guru edit - if you remove this tag your account will be erased)) Ok guys so my thought on this is (your words were edited, we agree the Xbox has issues but name calling helps no one , try to keep it pg13 thanks)) PS4 all the way... It's cheaper looks better and free online...
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Wow. Well that escalated quickly. :|
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life

Post by DeathRow »

This is a pretty bad deal for anyone outside the US considering most of these features will be unavailable for 'outsiders'. I'll hold my judgement until I know more but so far it doesn't seem very good.