SWBF3 Announced

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

GAB
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: SWBF3 Announced

Post by GAB »

Personally, I think it would be really silly if they left CW out. Not that I'm a prequel's fan (I actually like the OT better), but CW was half of the original Battlefronts. As Zapattack said, it would be like playing half a game. Besides, I think that CW is, to some extent, more fit for an action shooter with the proposal of Battlefront than GCW.
Last edited by GAB on Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyAngler
High General
High General
Projects :: Battlefront Halation
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1-2-2015
xbox live or psn: none

Post by JimmyAngler »

Also, to add, there hasn't been anything (I've seen) that touches space battles. Personally I love space battles and I would be very disappointed if they were left out..
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

JimmyAngler wrote:Also, to add, there hasn't been anything (I've seen) that touches space battles. Personally I love space battles and I would be very disappointed if they were left out..
IKR! I honestly thought that was a given.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Well, there wasn't any First-Person-Shooting either, but loads of vehicles, maybe it's gonna be vehicles only?
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Confirmed: New SWBF game is actually Rogue Squadron 4.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:Confirmed: New SWBF game is actually Rogue Squadron 4.
Uh, you ARE joking, right?
ANDEWEGET wrote:Well, there wasn't any First-Person-Shooting either, but loads of vehicles, maybe it's gonna be vehicles only?
No, there wasn't, however, we DO see people working on weapon models.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

commanderawesome wrote:
Twilight_Warrior wrote:Confirmed: New SWBF game is actually Rogue Squadron 4.
Uh, you ARE joking, right?
Nope. Totally serious.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Yes...
Hidden/Spoiler:
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

I'm going to be real angry if they don't include the Clone Wars stuff (not the TV show, as far as I'm concerned none of that ever happened) but Episodes I-III. To be honest the only time in the original Battlefronts I ever played GCW was on Hoth, except on multiplayer. CW is a lot cooler and the LAAT/i is my favorite vehicle and if I won't be able to play as it I will truly be angry.
On another note, I hope that they keep it third person both as a player and in vehicles. I also hope they keep the HUD very simple and minimal as with the actual controls. I got Battlefield 4, and the main reason I only played it twice (besides being stuck in 1st person) was because the HUD was cluttered with completely useless stuff to the point you could barely see and because the controls for vehicles were godawful, especially for aircraft. I cannot stress these points enough. :?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Cleb wrote:On another note, I hope that they keep it third person both as a player
It's third- and first-person. ;)
Cleb wrote:I got Battlefield 4, and the main reason I only played it twice (besides being stuck in 1st person) was because the HUD was cluttered with completely useless stuff to the point you could barely see
You *are* talking about the same Battlefield 4 that I've played, right? Because I'm able to see everything perfectly fine. And the HUD is cluttered? With useless stuff? Lol no.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Like really? How are a minimap, ticket counter, ammo/health counter, squad info, and chat box "completely useless?"

It's slightly more understandable to "not be able to see" if you're playing on a 4:3 aspect ratio television or monitor, but then, this is 2014. Why would you be playing on a 4:3 aspect ratio television or monitor? You'd be better off putting that $60 you spent on Battlefield 4 into savings to purchase a 16:9 or 16:10 television or monitor. Even then, if you *really* hate the HUD *that* much, you can just play Hardcore mode, which removes most of the HUD other than like, the chat box and *maybe* the squad information and map. Heck, there's even an option to scale the HUD elements up or down.
Hidden/Spoiler:
(On a side note, I really love DICE for including a 'Colorblind' option. Without it, I would not be able to differentiate between ally, enemy, or squad mate due to my protanopic colorblindness. Like seriously, thank you SO much DICE for thinking about those of us who suffer from the condition.)
Cleb wrote:and because the controls for vehicles were godawful, especially for aircraft.
...said pretty much no one ever (except in the case of jets). I mean, are you joking? How?!? I can understand thinking that in the case of jets, but helicopters handle amazingly once you get used to them, and the ground/water vehicles all handle great and take hardly any getting used to. To be fair to jets, though, it's incredibly difficult to make such aircraft easy to control when designing with a mouse and keyboard in mind

You *are* talking about the PC version, right? :o
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Cleb »

No, I'm talking about Xbox 360. The helicopter controls make no sense, like taking off is up on the left stick. And if I recall correctly the HUD was filled up with all sorts of hash marks and numbers around the edges that didn't do anything whenever I was in a vehicle. I may be remembering incorrectly though, it's been like half a year since I've played it.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Hmm. I know that vehicles with realistic camera viewpoints (such as tanks and whatnot) have a very limited field of view, but that's just 'cause that's more-or-less what it's like in real life. Also, re: helicopters, up on left stick isn't so much "take off," but rather "increase vertical throttle." It really makes a lot of sense when you think about how helicopters work: in a real helicopter, the pilot increases the throttle to increase the speed at which the vertical-facing rotor(s) spin, and decreases the throttle to decrease said spin-speed. To increase the forward speed (and to move forward at all), the pilot rotates the yaw stick forward, and backward to increase the backward speed, etc.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
(Probably) Compass, speed, zoom factor, distance to where the crosshair points, type of weapon (and status), rate the feed from wherever the actual camera is gets updated (?) and body/turret orientation.

All of these are doing "something" and can even add to the experience (except the 60Hz) either via extra knowledge or just immersion.

If you only played it on a console though, maybe it's the distance to the TV making it all less readable or something like that.
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Cleb »

Well personally when I play a game I don't really need to know any of that nor do I care about realism camera-wise, I just want to see. Also about controls being more realistic, it doesn't matter if it's more realistic, it matters if you can easily take off. Instead of making the controls make sense like that, the developer should try to make controls that are easy to learn, because it's kind of hard to learn when you find a helicopter once every hour then immediately crash it into a tree. :?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Cleb wrote:Also about controls being more realistic, it doesn't matter if it's more realistic, it matters if you can easily take off. Instead of making the controls make sense like that, the developer should try to make controls that are easy to learn
You *can* easily take off. You press up on the left stick to take off until you begin to increase in altitude. How is that hard? :? Also, have you *seen* some of the people piloting them? They're pretty easy to handle once you get the hang of it - you know, like a car. There's really no such thing as a helicopter in any game or in real life that's both in any way realistic AND easy to handle. They're *helicopters*.

More on piloting helicopters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-JwHoedqZQ
Cleb wrote:because it's kind of hard to learn when you find a helicopter once every hour then immediately crash it into a tree. :?
The Test Range has every single vehicle spawned so you can get the hang of them. ;)
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Cleb »

Marth8880 wrote:
Cleb wrote:Also about controls being more realistic, it doesn't matter if it's more realistic, it matters if you can easily take off. Instead of making the controls make sense like that, the developer should try to make controls that are easy to learn
You *can* easily take off. You press up on the left stick to take off until you begin to increase in altitude. How is that hard? :? Also, have you *seen* some of the people piloting them? They're pretty easy to handle once you get the hang of it - you know, like a car. There's really no such thing as a helicopter in any game or in real life that's both in any way realistic AND easy to handle. They're *helicopters*.
GTA has helicopters that are both more realistic and easier to fly/learn/handle and they're in third person :o
Cleb wrote:because it's kind of hard to learn when you find a helicopter once every hour then immediately crash it into a tree. :?
The Test Range has every single vehicle spawned so you can get the hang of them. ;)
Yeah I forgot about that :oops:
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Cleb wrote:GTA has helicopters that are both more realistic and easier to fly/learn/handle and they're in third person :o
If they were more realistic, they'd be difficult to handle. :lol: But yeah, GTA's an exception (though I *seriously* doubt it's more realistic). But then, that's Rockstar being Rockstar.
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bob »

Marth8880 wrote:Hmm. I know that vehicles with realistic camera viewpoints (such as tanks and whatnot) have a very limited field of view, but that's just 'cause that's more-or-less what it's like in real life. Also, re: helicopters, up on left stick isn't so much "take off," but rather "increase vertical throttle." It really makes a lot of sense when you think about how helicopters work: in a real helicopter, the pilot increases the throttle to increase the speed at which the vertical-facing rotor(s) spin, and decreases the throttle to decrease said spin-speed. To increase the forward speed (and to move forward at all), the pilot rotates the yaw stick forward, and backward to increase the backward speed, etc.
Heh, reminds me of the time when I got to use a Hlicopter simulator (not on PC, I really mean an authentic replica of a cockpit with 1:1 controls and a huge curved screen infront of the windows, like the ones you find in flight schools). There are also two pedals with which you control the stern rotor(s) in order to turn left or right. Managed to take off at my first attempt, landing is hard as nails though.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

http://airherald.com/star-wars-battlefr ... mmer/6207/

Seems we may be seeing Death Star and Executor maps. Given we've only heard things to do with GCW, it seems increasingly likely this game will focus on GCW, possibly with no CW to speak of. I can only guess as to what kind of modes Bounty, Armada and Wookie Warrior would be (Bounty would obviously act similarly to the PSP SWBF2 Bounty Hunter missions, I'm guessing Armada would be you commanding a space fleet).

It's also interesting that news sites are still referring to the game as "Star Wars: Battlefront 3".
Last edited by giftheck on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Alternatively, since they've still got at least a year until certification (maybe more), they're getting a base engine done with a few player, vehicle, and weapon models (choosing some from the trilogy the dev team grew up with) so they can test in alpha until it plays to their liking before adding tons more player models, vehicles, and weapons. I feel comfortable guaranteeing a CW era is going to be in the game.