SWBF3 Announced

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

GAB
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: SWBF3 Announced

Post by GAB »

ggctuk wrote:It's also interesting that news sites are still referring to the game as "Star Wars: Battlefront 3".
I think that DICE/EA should have never gone to the let's call it Battlefront only because it's a reboot thingy. For years now, the name Star Wars Battlefront 3 has established itself as the name of that dream sequel to the Battlefront series. If you call it Battlefront only, people recall the one released in 2004 and it gets confusing. Now, if you call it Battlefront 3, people will recall the game that thousands dream about and have anticipated for so long (just look at how many "what we want" lists are there on the internet). That number 3 gives a lot of weight to the title.
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

So the new Battlefront is confirmed to be an FPS. On a scale of 1 to Zapattack1234, how angry are you?
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

TECHNICALLY, both SWBF and SWBF2 were also FPSes. I recall having to manually switch it to third person because the default was first.
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:TECHNICALLY, both SWBF and SWBF2 were also FPSes. I recall having to manually switch it to third person because the default was first.
that's true, but wouldn't you prefer the same option in this game?
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Who says we're not getting it?
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

Yeah, no one seems to get that "First person shooter" doesn't mean first person only. I think even Republic Commando had a cheat code that allowed you to play in third person. Also, DICE already confirmed that there will be a third person component, which probably means it's AT LEAST going to have third person for vehicles and maybe Jedi. But we won't know for sure until we try the game ourselves.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Hopefully its not truly just a FPS. First Person Shooters are becoming so stale, we really dont need another. What scared me is that they said they wanted to make the star wars game they always wanted to make. To me they think Battlefront should have been a first person shooter from the start and now they might get thier wish. I dont want to jump the gun though, thier trailer did show some third person things with the rebel soldier going onto a speeder bike.
Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY on Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

commanderawesome wrote:[...] I think even Republic Commando had a cheat code that allowed you to play in third person. [...]
it has an cheat, but it looked very low detailed and you had no HUD or reticule anymore
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

http://starwars.ea.com/en_GB/news/battl ... elebration

tl;dr get hyped April 16-19th for a trailer.

Gonna be amazing or disappointing, there is no inbetween here folks.

jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

Yes indeed, since the announcement I've been regularly checking the date in order to make sure I don't miss the presentation.

This had better be good.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

A bit of a bump, I know, but I had to post about this when I found it.

You remember the Free Radical build, yes? Well, somebody actually managed to extract some models from the pre-alpha version. I won't post a direct link here to it but here's some images. If I'm not allowed to post these images here, I'll happily remove them.
Hidden/Spoiler:
What I've read where I found these images is that there was a lot of asset re-use from SWBF3 into later LucasArts games, with some minor alterations. Also apparently some models from other games were used in later builds of SWBF3.

I already know the Lambda has been ported to SWBF and it works very well (it's not all that much more detailed than the Theta in SWBF2).
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Yeah Corra_Ashu (aka JakeGreen, Derrick Brown, DarthNihilusGirl, clonetrooper163, clonetrooper17) apparently had access to Free Radical's SWBF3 and released a bunch of the assets on Facepunch.
Corra_Ashu wrote:i got a copy of a pre-alpha/alpha build of the game...
http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1304034

Offtopic
He also says Star Wars 1313 is being developed by Visceral Games now with a new name.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Gotta be honest here. I see no harm in using assets from a totally dead game. Go nuts. LucasArts and Disney have no interest in a game long dead. Yes, models had overlap between other games, but this is common (for example, much of the GameCube Rogue Squadron models were used in SWBF1/SWBF2). Given that we're now on an entirely new generation of consoles, and by extension PC, they have no real interest in these assets aside from leaks in their entirety (in other words, the whole game).
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Yeah, I really have to wonder why we haven't yet seen a leak of he game itself. I can't remember much of the details, but I do know that someone was streaming the game some time earlier this year, but has refused to release it because he's "preserving" it or something like that.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Teancum wrote:Gotta be honest here. I see no harm in using assets from a totally dead game. Go nuts. LucasArts and Disney have no interest in a game long dead. Yes, models had overlap between other games, but this is common (for example, much of the GameCube Rogue Squadron models were used in SWBF1/SWBF2). Given that we're now on an entirely new generation of consoles, and by extension PC, they have no real interest in these assets aside from leaks in their entirety (in other words, the whole game).
And what about the hard work of the guys who made these assets?
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

thelegend wrote:And what about the hard work of the guys who made these assets?
All down the drain when Free Radical went under.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

At this point the use of the assets would be up to the discretion of the modder, I think. If you feel like it's not fair, don't use them. Honestly, at this point it would be reasonable to use them and just include "Free Radical - [names of models used]" in your mod's credits.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

I'd say search for an equivalent first, as quite a few of these already have in SWBF, but there are some that don't - nobody has, for instance, ever brought a Lambda Shuttle into SWBF (until Sereja ported the Lambda from SWBFIII)
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

thelegend wrote:
Teancum wrote:Gotta be honest here. I see no harm in using assets from a totally dead game. Go nuts. LucasArts and Disney have no interest in a game long dead. Yes, models had overlap between other games, but this is common (for example, much of the GameCube Rogue Squadron models were used in SWBF1/SWBF2). Given that we're now on an entirely new generation of consoles, and by extension PC, they have no real interest in these assets aside from leaks in their entirety (in other words, the whole game).
And what about the hard work of the guys who made these assets?
That's why we properly credit people. People who worked hard on these things ABSOLUTELY deserve credit, and so much of this goes uncredited, the assets just becoming part of the (then) LucasArts "archive". If these assets are used the modder had darn well better credit the hard working folks at Free Radical