Interesting article about the collapse of LucasArts.

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Interesting article about the collapse of LucasArts.

Post by EraOfDesann »

http://kotaku.com/how-lucasarts-fell-apart-1401731043

It's quite obvious from the outside that the company had serious problems (three different presidents in a four year window) but this article provides more insight into exactly what went wrong.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Re: Interesting article about the collapse of LucasArts.

Post by Eggman »

That was a great read. Thanks for sharing! It's disappointing to learn just how bad things were in some respects, but it is reassuring to know that the staff actually working on the games were pouring their hearts and souls into them up until the end.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Thank you. Was a good read, and helped reveal the tenebrous goings on at LA. I feel for all the people who actually developed, and scorn the executives who sat in their offices deciding what was best without knowing what they were doing.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

That was a really great read, as mentioned above. I especially liked the e-mail that was included in the article.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Thought-provoking, to be sure. I'm glad Disney had the brass cahonies to put LA out of its misery when LF couldn't. I'll still lament over 1313 though (which we now can see would have been Bounty Hunter 2 in all but name).
kitfisto15678
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFI SWBFII

Post by kitfisto15678 »

ggctuk wrote:I'll still lament over 1313 though (which we now can see would have been Bounty Hunter 2 in all but name).
But in the long run would you rather have a Dice made SWBF game or 1313? I'm not sad about the LA shutdown since they weren't making the game we really wanted (SWBFIII), they were making some knockoff 1st person shooter. :)
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

kitfisto15678 wrote:
ggctuk wrote:I'll still lament over 1313 though (which we now can see would have been Bounty Hunter 2 in all but name).
But in the long run would you rather have a Dice made SWBF game or 1313? I'm not sad about the LA shutdown since they weren't making the game we really wanted (SWBFIII), they were making some knockoff 1st person shooter. :)
What makes you think DICE would have done 1313 anyway? Why not another of EA's studios? And what makes you say that the game LucasArts were making was a 'knockoff'? As I understand it, these 'knockoffs' would have been stepping stones to a real Battlefront III. As it stands though, I am glad that was taken from them - Star Wars games were at their best when being developed by someone else.