Battlefield 4

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Battlefield 4

Post by Noobasaurus »

There's an online beta you can download right now for FREE if you get the Origin client.

And I don't know what else to say. "It's fun."

Oh, and you'll need a 64-bit computer.
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: The Map has no name so see alpha
Games I'm Playing :: Crysis Battlefront
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by noMatt »

Since i have battlefield 3 Premium (it was cheaper then the normal Edition :D ) i have since a few days and i have to say i am unimpressed. Its graphically not that a big diffrence between battlefield 4 and 3
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

^Blame EA for that. They wanted DICE to push BF4 out as soon as possible, which is my #1 issue with them. Their deadlines.

Beyond that BF4 does have some graphical improvements, and the gameplay looks like it's improved.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

I don't really see why visual improvements should be much of a concern, considering that the graphics were fantastic to begin with.

I've been playing the beta quite a bit today, and I'm having a blast. There are some kinks here and there (lag issues, boats spawning in strange places and dropping out of the sky to land in the road), but the gameplay is fantastic. Even without a mic for communication, I'm finding that teamwork comes pretty easily with all the incentives and rewards provided. I skipped over Battlefield 3 since I didn't have a computer that could handle it at the time, but now that I have a pretty solid rig, I'll definitely be purchasing BF4.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Eggman wrote:I don't really see why visual improvements should be much of a concern, considering that the graphics were fantastic to begin with.

I've been playing the beta quite a bit today, and I'm having a blast. There are some kinks here and there (lag issues, boats spawning in strange places and dropping out of the sky to land in the road), but the gameplay is fantastic. Even without a mic for communication, I'm finding that teamwork comes pretty easily with all the incentives and rewards provided. I skipped over Battlefield 3 since I didn't have a computer that could handle it at the time, but now that I have a pretty solid rig, I'll definitely be purchasing BF4.
Exactly as you're saying. I see nothing but improvements. I'm not even having issues with Battlelog, which according to my friends is still a pile of [Diet Dr. Pepper]. This is honestly looking to be the shooter I've been waiting for since Halo 3.
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

Haven't been able to get past the loading screen for the last week but I read that Dice will drop a new patch for processor optimization soon. I still use a Dual Core though, so maybe that's my problem.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

I'm pretty sure there was a patch within the past day or two, but I can't personally vouch for whether it would have resolved your issues. Besides some occasional rubberbanding, the game has been running just fine for me. I fall into what I understand to be the lucky group that has an ideal setup for BF4: Windows 8 and an AMD 6-core processor.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

Played it for about half an hour today. Aside from the lag, it felt like a way smoother experience than BF3. It was nice. I turned my graphics down to Medium to stop the lag, and it still continued, so I guess it was network lag, not video.
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

Eggman wrote:I'm pretty sure there was a patch within the past day or two, but I can't personally vouch for whether it would have resolved your issues. Besides some occasional rubberbanding, the game has been running just fine for me. I fall into what I understand to be the lucky group that has an ideal setup for BF4: Windows 8 and an AMD 6-core processor.
Battlefield 4 – Next OpenBeta Patch Will Offer CPU Optimizations, Win8 + DX11.1 Still Best Option

From this it looks like they optimized the game with Windows 8 in mind and Quad Cores, so it's probably time I upgraded. It's the first year my PC has struggled with new games in five years so dual cores have had a good run really, it's time to move on or get left behind. Don't want to miss out on the new Battlefront either.