Unreal Engine 4 now FREE for everyone!

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Unreal Engine 4 now FREE for everyone!

Post by AceMastermind »

https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4

"If you love something, set it free"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/unreal ... 0-6425627/

"The free version of Unreal Engine 4 now available to developers is not a trial or sample edition, Sweeney stressed. It's the full version."

:D
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Unreal Engine 4 now FREE for everyone!

Post by Maveritchell »

Dangit, Epic, that was my last good excuse not to learn the engine. I don't wanna work with visual scripting.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Maveritchell wrote:... I don't wanna work with visual scripting.
Amen to that. It's really cool in concept (the Xbox LIVE Arcade game Trials Evolution has it) but I find it takes more time doing visual scripting than writing lines of code. That being said it's neat that it's free, but I have zero interest in it. Engines now take way too much work to produce quality content. Circa 2005 is about as new as I get since I don't have to deal with all the 360/PS3-level technology (and above). I like the old days of just texture and bumpmaps, no ultra high-poly model having to be made before the in-game model can, etc.
GAB
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by GAB »

Yeeeessss!!! :D I can't believe they really made it free. I've always wanted to put my hands on this! I remember watching some video tutorials for this engine while Kothlis would munge and wishing I had access to this technology.

Thanks for sharing this, Ace!
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Yep it's awesome indeed, and apparently Unity has an announcement scheduled for today as well!

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity- ... am.305907/

Could it be free Unity Pro for all? 8)

EDIT:
No, but a free full featured royalty-free personal version of Unity 5 is available.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

It's not necessary to use visual scripting except for the material node graph and the animation graph. And from my experience, it definitely has its place. I don't use it for anything complex but it's straight up better for the visual/effect side of things in most cases (like spawning particle systems, playing sounds, changing models after a CP is captured) and of course prototyping.
Even if writing the code was a bit faster, adding the 60+ seconds of compile-and-reload time makes it like 5 times faster for small iterations (which, in the end, is all what Blueprint is about for people who can use both).
The Nasal Abyss
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Post by The Nasal Abyss »

Teancum wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:... I don't wanna work with visual scripting.
Amen to that. It's really cool in concept (the Xbox LIVE Arcade game Trials Evolution has it) but I find it takes more time doing visual scripting than writing lines of code. That being said it's neat that it's free, but I have zero interest in it. Engines now take way too much work to produce quality content. Circa 2005 is about as new as I get since I don't have to deal with all the 360/PS3-level technology (and above). I like the old days of just texture and bumpmaps, no ultra high-poly model having to be made before the in-game model can, etc.
Stuff like that is becoming more and more automated, though. Sure, high poly sources are still needed, but plug in some cavity and ambient occlusion bakes into tools like QUIXEL Suite and Substance Designer and you can get some insanely good looking stuff instantly. It's more about the modelling ability now than the texturing.

But yeah, this is incredible. Once I get my new PC built by the end of the week (when my parts finally make it through the snow and ice in the midwest) I'll definitely have to set up UE4, if only just to mess around with.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Heho, the only catch is the increase from 5% to I think like 25% in royalty payments...
Maveritchell wrote:Dangit, Epic, that was my last good excuse not to learn the engine. I don't wanna work with visual scripting.
But Kismet is the beeeeeeest! :runaway:
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

It's still 5% after 3k per product per quarter.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Oops. Yeah, you're right.