Favorite game of 2014?

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Favorite game of 2014?

Post by Kingpin »

Just curious on what would be your guys favorite games of last year. Mine were Advanced Warfare, Assassin's Creed: Rogue, and Shadow of Mordor :)
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Re: Favorite game of 2014?

Post by Noobasaurus »

Definitely DINO.

In season 1, though, I only won twice.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Gaming in 2014 was pretty bad, particularly when compared to 2013.

But I have to mention Xenonauts, one of my absolute favorite games came out in 2014.

And the second season to Telltale's Walking Dead series. Another one of my favorite games.
The Nasal Abyss
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Post by The Nasal Abyss »

The only games I bought in 2014 were Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros 4, Shovel Knight, Destiny and Halo: Master Chief Collection.

Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 tie for the top spot. I have around 200 hours of play time in each. They are simply just too dang good and fun!
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Oh yeah, Shovel Knight, that's another good 2014 game. I thought it was from 2013, why I didn't list it.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Favorite handheld title would have to be Smash for 3DS, and favorite PC/console title would have to be Telltale's The Walking Dead: Season Two.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

2014 was pretty good if you owned a Wii U. Otherwise...not so much. Smash 4 and Shovel Knight were really great games that deserve to be up there, but my absolute favorite of the year has to be Valiant Hearts. I'm unashamed to admit I cried my eyes out at the end; it's a freaking work of art if you ask me.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

While I'm not yet finished it, or even close for that matter, I have really enjoyed Dragon Age Inquisition. I'm not a huge Dragon Age fan generally speaking but the game is fun, with some nice visuals and a great battle system. I didn't buy any other new games in 2014 due to pretty much everything (supposedly) sucking. I would like to buy AC: Rogue at some point, since I heard that game was actually quite good.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Honestly? Destiny. I haven't put this many hours into a game since I don't know when. A lot of people talk smack about it, and I think there's a large chunk of them that do it just because it's the cool thing to do.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

I don't have an Xbox or PS so I can't try it, sadly. Tean, what do you like most about Destiny and what do you think is the most unfairly criticized quality of the game? I'm curious since I've seen so much hating of the game as well and find it difficult to believe it's all well founded.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

People complain about the fact that you have to grind (same missions repeatedly) to get to the high levels and get the best weapons. But I don't think of it that way. I've always gone back and played my favorite levels in games over and over, and there's so much to do in the game that it never feels old. The idea of jumping on my sparrow (it's like Star Wars' speederbike) and just riding wherever I want to with my friends is fun in and of itself. I'm more of a casual player, though, so all that grinding doesn't bother me. I don't feel compelled to get every awesome weapon and piece of armor in the game, I just want to have fun.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Teancum wrote:The idea of jumping on my sparrow (it's like Star Wars' speederbike) and just riding wherever I want to with my friends is fun in and of itself.
I haven't played Destiny, so I can't comment specifically, but grind-heavy games of any stripe are almost always inevitably fun as long as you're doing them with friends. Games in general are more fun played that way, so games that allow for that kind of facilitated socializing are going to have a vast gulf between singleplayer (or anonymous multiplayer) and co-op.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Maveritchell wrote:
Teancum wrote:The idea of jumping on my sparrow (it's like Star Wars' speederbike) and just riding wherever I want to with my friends is fun in and of itself.
I haven't played Destiny, so I can't comment specifically, but grind-heavy games of any stripe are almost always inevitably fun as long as you're doing them with friends. Games in general are more fun played that way, so games that allow for that kind of facilitated socializing are going to have a vast gulf between singleplayer (or anonymous multiplayer) and co-op.
Yep, and even when I'm not with friends I get neat co-operative moments. I was working on leveling up one of my characters and wandered into an area over my head. I took out a few enemies but was quickly getting overwhelmed. Out of nowhere I heard the cracking of a rifle and bodies began to drop. Looking about 75 yards towards where the shots came from I saw another player. He gave me a friendly salute and I waved to him in thanks.

I love moments like that.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

jedimoose32 wrote: I would like to buy AC: Rogue at some point, since I heard that game was actually quite good.
I've played every Assassin's Creed game. Rogue just might be my favorite.

Also, I can't hear you guys talking about Destiny. All I hear is grind grind grind.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Kingpin wrote:I've played every Assassin's Creed game.

And grind works for some people. Tean likes the social aspect of it, in Destiny at least.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

jedimoose32 wrote:
Kingpin wrote:I've played every Assassin's Creed game.

And grind works for some people. Tean likes the social aspect of it, in Destiny at least.
Yeah, I can see the appeal of the cooperative-ness in it. That's why I bought it in the first place. But honestly, it just feels like a mashup of Halo and COD that just doesn't work for me/
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Makes sense. It's too bad, really. The concept behind the game looked incredible. The universe seemed like it would be mindbogglingly good. Once again, I haven't played the game myself, but I think there's at least a moderate amount of "wasted" potential. (Or the hype train got everyone's expectations waaaaay too high)
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I'm someone who has buried 2000 hours into War Thunder's grindfest, and 400 hours into ME3 MP's grind. So grinds aren't a big deal for me as long as the game itself is fun.

Which, sidebar, isn't something World of Tanks was (fun) so it's why I quit. Still grindy but too much lead in the water supply and it's more of a team game than War Thunder is because it lacks respawns.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

I played kotor on iOS the most hours of anything
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

Mine were the xbox one version of minecraft and GTA V and world of tanks blitz. :wink: