Halo 4

Want to share hints on the best games you've downloaded? New demo we all need to see? Find other xbox players here, share ideas on everything Xbox live related!

Moderator: Moderators

Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Halo 4

Post by Fusion »

The people at the event today are under an NDA, but from what they've been saying it sounds like the Mantis might be a Multiplayer vehicle as well. Someone said that it was possible to teabag enemies with it and I believe this event was multiplayer only.

Also, the Loadouts for the Flood are Thruster Pack, Promthean Vision, and Active Camo with each only having their modified sword hand as a weapon:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Edit: Yep, the Mantis is on Ragnarok:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Labj
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Halo 4
xbox live or psn: SiulS2409

Post by Labj »

Promethean weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Ksq4dvLuk&feature=plcp

Would be nice if someone could embed.

Ragnarok is a remake for Valhalla. Also, check the Eurogamer confference, Frank played Forerunner.

Epic spoiler comming!!!
Hidden/Spoiler:
Details on 4th mission
Name: Infinity
Stages: Infinity - Reunited - Eviction Proceeding
Plot (From OXM):
"Cortana is clearly losing it. In the midst of a Promethean onslaught, our always dependable A.I. diligently works on activating a particularly stubborn gate that’ll lead us to safer ground — but as the battle-frenzied pace begins to wind down, she angrily barks at us in a startling, unexpected moment of aggression. With clear disdain, she bites out that she’s sick of Master Chief’s overreliance on her. Is the Halo series’ stalwart companion turning on us right when we need her most? If our hands-on session with Halo 4’s intriguing story campaign taught us anything, it’s to expect the unexpected.
As Halo 4’s fourth stage, “Infinity,” opens, frantic chatter floods Chief’s in-helmet comm link. Something big just went down, literally — the hulking UNSC Infinity has landed on Requiem’s surface. Our job is to seek out any of the crewmembers that have been tossed into the surrounding wilds to account for their IFF tags: Are they alive or are they dead? How many can we find before we duck into the relative safety of the Infinity?

The captain of the Infinity, Andrew Del Rio, has tagged their rough locations on your map; now all you have to do is fight through increasingly hostile swarms of Forerunner security A.I. (called Prometheans) to find them. This first introduction to the three different types of Prometheans that inhabit Requiem — the grenade-catching Watchers, the Elite-level Knights, and the canine-like Crawlers — is scary stuff. While the Crawlers are quasi-manageable at a distance if you’ve got a scoped weapon (a nice headshot takes them out in one hit), it’s on when the Knights and Watchers show up.
Your first target will always be the Watchers: given that they’re able to shield their allies, spawn more Crawlers, regenerate foes’ health, and sling back any grenades you might mistakenly toss their way, you’ll want them off your six as fast as possible. But while your main objective is to take these guys out first, skirmishes will also be lessons in multitasking as you juggle multiple hostiles (including the airborne Watchers!), and keep an eye on Knights. Ensuring the latter stay at a safe distance is a challenge in itself; these bipedal terrors have multiple variants. We mostly faced down the Lancer type, which could seemingly teleport — called a “phase-run” — from across a distance to melee us head-on; if you’re smart, you’ll dodge once you see a Lancer disappear in a crackle of electricity.

We eventually got the hint that using close-range weaponry (like the shotguns left scattered about the battlefield) was the way to hold our own against these Knight variants. But monitoring Crawlers is also important, as letting them collect in batches is a lethal mistake. Take them down from a distance to whittle away their numbers.
Even with the chaotic mix of new weapons, enemies, and environments, though, our goal remains simple: get our MJOLNIR-armored heiney to the Infinity with those IFF tags in tow. Once aboard the massive vessel, we spot Halo 4’s transmedia tie-ins as Chief runs into Thomas Lasky and Commander Palmer: Lasky is a character first introduced in the live-action web series Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn. “Never thought I’d see you again,” quips Lasky with a grin. Palmer, a Spartan-IV soldier herself, dismissively looks MC up and down, then snorts, “I thought you’d be taller.” What follows next is a flurry of meet-‘n’-greets with Infinity friendlies, including Captain Del Rio, who quickly assigns you the task of clearing a landing zone for an incoming Pelican.

This meeting highlights not only the way in which Halo 4 aims to tell its story — by encompassing all the fiction from the books, web series, and comics — but by also giving these characters new depth via painstakingly-done motion-capture.. Lasky’s face, Palmer’s armored movements, and Del Rio’s grizzled, old soldier frown seem light years ahead of the nowseemingly inert character models in Halos past.
But time is short and our path to the landing zone lies ahead, past a particularly hairy handful of set-pieces that force us to break out the Railgun to dispatch powerful foes. As you forge ahead, you’ll come across squads of marines — they can provide back up if you keep them alive through the Promethean onslaught.

It’s during this endeavor that the scene with Cortana snapping at us takes place, but our mission (which spans three stages — “Infinity,” “Reunited,” and “Eviction Proceedings”) isn’t just a delivery system for letting us know our A.I. companion’s about to undergo some changes. Rather, it jumps wildly from one epic set-piece to the next, with one hell of a twist thrown in for good measure. What lies just beyond the corridor you access after Cortana’s outburst is a huge landing zone filled with…Covenant. Could they be in cahoots with the heretofore unseen Forerunners?

We certainly have our suspicion about enemy alliances, and throughout the ensuing chaos — which includes a Scorpion Tank run as well as a showdown on a makeshift airfield while piloting a Manta mech — Chief repeatedly lays much of the mayhem’s blame squarely on the shoulders of the Didact, an ancient Forerunner who MC believes has united the Covvies with their Promethean buddies. In fact, in a heated exchange between Del Rio and Chief, our favorite Spartan insists that they continue their hunt for the Didact while “he’s vulnerable.” But that chase is saved for another day as the stage ends."
*Bumped.

My god! Ragnarok looks stunning!
Check out this images and the Mantis trailer:
http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/Universe/det ... geNumber=1
http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/Universe/det ... f54ed5c417

Bumped*
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

IGN will be showing off a map every Tuesday and Thursday until launch. Tomorrow will be about a new map that isn't Ragnarok.
Labj
Sith
Sith

Post by Labj »

Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

The .iso has been leaked. If you wish to remain spoiler-free, now is the time to go dark.

Avoid all Halo 4 videos on Youtube, avoid halo forums with no approval process, and if you're brave enough to avoid spoilers in the recommended videos portion of Yotube, I suggest you download a plugin that blocks Youtube comments.

Me? I don't care. I'll be waiting for the leaks to happen so I can confirm if something is fake or not.

Map 10 is a small/medium map named Vortex.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RbQSfhw ... tyrT11HT34

^I'm not sure if this has been posted, but it's a really cool montage on the creation of HALO 4.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Legendary ending has been posted. This is the time to smash your routers if you want to have a fresh experience.
Labj
Sith
Sith

Post by Labj »

Wow, it feels like Prometheus took the game of the gods and gave it you the humans. I didnt want this to happen this way, at least this happened with legal copies when Reach was about to come out, and was just a few days before, not a month...

BTW, new vidoc Infinity Multiplayer. The map called Vortex that Fusion mentioned before can be seen in this video, but the developers dont talk about it nor mention its name.
http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Unive ... 98f497f762

I have been trying to stay away from spoilers as much as i can, but youtube has a full harvest of leaks. Part of me wants to see it, but the other part does not. The last thing i saw was the leaked trailer. There werent any real spoilers, but if you didnt see it in the few minutes it was up, trust me, it was amazing.

EDIT:
Scanned trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7dqtgkS ... re=g-all-u
Didact, i guess...

Spoiler
Hidden/Spoiler:
Possible involvement of Installation 03 in Halo 4:

We know that during the CEA terminals all the monitors except 00 were shown, and one of them, 49 Abject Testament, was briefly seen interacting with 343 Guilty Spark. 49 is the monitor of installation 03. Also, in the following image, you can appreciate the alpha menu of H4, wich shows a halo ring:
Now compare to the holographic version of it whon in H3:
The surface matches.
Additionaly, the installation has been mentioned in Glasslands and The Thursday War.
To end this spoiler section, the same planet ingame:

NEW!
Gameplay Launch trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIspQ1Nm ... e=g-user-u
(Above theory confirmed and no longer a big spoiler)

All DLC revealed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zs-S4GC ... re=g-all-u

Emeny characteristics:

Knight:
-Uses lightrifle and supressor.
-Special ability: Charge at the player to meele.
-Armor ability: Apparently none.
-Knights serve as the man attacking force and will open fire at the player from a wise distance.

Lancer:
-Uses binary rifle and lightrifle.
-Special ability: Short range teleports.
-Armor ability: Autosentry or promethean vision.
-Lancers are extremely accurate, and their promethean vision renders hidding useless.

Battlewagon:
-Uses scattershot.
-Special ability: Jumps long distances and discharges a powerful meele attack.
-Armor ability: Promethean vision.
-Battlewagons are deadly in close quartes as one single hit from the scattershot can disolve the player. They are never seen working with other battlewagons.

Commander:
-Uses lightrifle or incinerator cannon.
-Special ability: Emit an explosive charge when the player gets too close.
-Armor ability: promethean vision.
-Commaders stay behind other units as they fire their weapons. The promethean vision and the explosive charge makes the task of getting close to assassinate extremely difficult.

Crawler:
-Uses boltshot.
-Every class of crawler has the ability to make a jump or climb walls, they can also stand in rooftop and attack without problem. A single shot the exposed glowing part on their face can dispatch them easily.

Snipe:
-Uses binary rifle.
-Does not move usualy after it has seen the player.

Alpha:
-Uses supressor.
-Moves fast and charges at the player while other crawlers follow. Has twice the health as a normal crawler but is still vulnerable to headshots.

Watcher:
-Uses boltshot.
-Special ability: Create crawlers, create turrets, catch grenades and throw them back, or project a hardlight shiled to protect knights or crawlers.
-Every knight carries one on their back, but not always deploys them.

Tactics used by the prometheans:
-Force the player to move out from cover using crawler attacks.
-Lancers and snipes are long range combat units.
-Battlewagons charge to the player when all other units are dead.
-Commanders never charge. The fireball shot with the incinerator cannon condensates and becomes stronger with longer distances.
-Regular knights will usually throw pulse grenades at the player.

Tactics against the prometheans:
-Do not your cover when fighting off a wave of crawlers.
-If you killed a snipe of lancer, make sure to pick up their binary rifle.
-The binary rifle can carry 8 shots as max, and it can kill knights with ease, except for the commanders and battlewagons.
-Boltshot and lightrifle are good weapons against the crawlers.
-You can pick up any armor ability left behind by dead knights or watchers.
-Any promethean can be assassinated.
-Hitting any enemy with a grenade with shake them for a second giving time to the grenade to explode. Pulse grenades explode twice, the second and most powerful explosion kills any unshielded enemy inside the field.
-Plasma grenades not enought powerful to kill knights.

The Storm behaves exactly as the Reach Covenant did, with the exception that Elites wont go berserk.

All armors:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Just bought the War Games Map Pass. I can't wait to shoot some bad guys while wearing a VCR on my face.

Haven't done that since 2003.
Labj
Sith
Sith

Post by Labj »

It looks like I wont have the Limited Xbox Edition since my dear president send the taxes to the skies :|

Anyways, tomorrow is the day of the last Bachelor exam, and i am more excited about finishing annoying public education than the game. But sadly i wont be able to play the game for a few weeks or months...

BTW, Halo 4 Follower posted a video "spoiler free" that showed one major spoiler. It confirmed a theory said in here before, but i will not say which theory...
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Yeah, there are a lot of better channels than that one. It was clearly made just so someone could make a quick buck on Youtube by cashing in on the Halo hype. Sucks that he had to spoil that for you.

If it's any consolation, it's not that big of a spoiler in the scheme of things.
Labj
Sith
Sith

Post by Labj »

Yeah, but it wasnt much of a surprise since i had already read the released Forerunner Saga books... Well, at least i think i will enjoy the game, after all.

Spartan Ops:
http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/intel/spartanops

Oh, and anybody watched Forward Unto Dawn? I enjoyed the series a lot, specially during the last scenes of episode V.

Have a playlist if you havent watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJVgXBf ... 4F00D8E6AC
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

So after one Spartan Ops mission, some Forge time and three DoubleXP multiplayer matches I can honestly say I'm totally in love with Halo 4. That being said, here are my complaints and confusions on the game:

Complaints:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[list]
[*]What's with using new sounds for all the weapons. The Battle Rifle sounds much wimpier now, for example.
[*]Not having ANY choices for my Spartan IV on startup is irritating. At least give me one alternate option. A third choice should have opened up where the second unlocked.
[*]Where is my Mark V helmet? Someone at 343 is getting a flaming bag of poo on their porch!
[*]The out-of-the-box Forge variants included are pretty sad. It's like my nephew made em. They're physically solidly constructed, but have no imagination or fun to them.
[*]The forge map Ravine is really small in comparison to what we now know, and is lacking extras in the space it actually does use. Why not have an underground cave under that giant rock formation?
[*]Multiplayer maps are overall not as strong as Bungie-designed levels.
[*]I need a control scheme exactly like Recon, but with crouch on X and run on left stick click. I crouch too often when I'm in a tense situation, but don't want to set crouch toggle.[/list]
Questions:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[list]
[*]Has all of the color has been sucked out of Chief's armor? It used to be green.
[*]Spartan IVs sure spend lots of time without a helmet on. More face time?
[*]I was bummed that I couldn't access any Forge variants last night ("no files found"). Fixed by the weekend?
[*]Will we see a Forge-focused map in each of the DLC packs? If so can we actually get unique items? Impact is the only map with plenty of unique stuff.[/list]
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I would actually not care if they got rid of forge with a patch. Somehow it's a step down from Reach's. That's not a good thing, as Reach forge had numerous problems such as a base map that was so big it caused framerate issues.

My complaints with it:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Magnets are incredibly useless as most of the pieces fit together cleanly with the coordinate editor. Their only use appears to be the new Impact objects, which refuse to fit cleanly with the older forge pieces so there's really no point in using them anyway.

What was the point of making a lighting system if it doesn't even change the lighting on the player models? Now we have dark maps with Lightbulb the Spartan and his illuminating cohorts running around.

Why are there no flat areas? No, really, why? Ravine is probably the most useless forge area ever because of the giant trench in the middle of it. Good luck making a BTB map, I guess. I think at this point I would prefer 4-5 flat maps with different ground textures and some hill objects than what we have now.

What is the point of having all of the weapons for the old style of weapon placement? If they needed this category, why not just have the weapons in the orbital drop canister instead of having an option for both?

I understand not wanting LEGO looking maps, but would it have been so hard to have some decals appear for certain objects? Like, maybe a big red parallelogram slightly off-center on Wall, Double? Just something more than the microscopic Reach highlights so we can actually tell where we are on a map without using lights.
Such a disappointment. Other than that, the game is great. I think it's lacking the Bungie polish in a few places (like the menus and a few too many buttons to press in the campaign) but the game at its core more than makes up for the last two years dealing with Reach.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Fusion wrote: My complaints with it:
Hidden/Spoiler:
What was the point of making a lighting system if it doesn't even change the lighting on the player models? Now we have dark maps with Lightbulb the Spartan and his illuminating cohorts running around.

Why are there no flat areas? No, really, why? Ravine is probably the most useless forge area ever because of the giant trench in the middle of it. Good luck making a BTB map, I guess. I think at this point I would prefer 4-5 flat maps with different ground textures and some hill objects than what we have now.
These two. Major time. The map design is the weakest of all the Halo games. Seeing the previews I never saw anything and thought "that looks like fun". Also.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Why does the monitor's "motor" sound play at like 120 decibels?
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Teancum wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Why does the monitor's "motor" sound play at like 120 decibels?
Oh you mean NEEEEEEOOOWAAAEEEEWAAEEE playing endlessly every 3 seconds? Yeah, that sure was a good idea.
willinator
Major
Major
Projects :: [Coming of the Sentinels]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft Halo
xbox live or psn: PC pwns all!

Post by willinator »

Overall, I think Halo 4 is a pretty good installment in the Halo franchise. It's not as bad as Halo Wars, but it doesn't quite rank up there with Halo 2. I'm happy they brought back the Banshee bomb and Valhalla. My main gripe with the game is the weapons. Yes they are diverse, but there isn't really a whole lot of advantage to having the different weapons from each race. The suppressor functions the same as the storm rifle and the assault rifle. Also, I truly despise the storm rifle. Why you would eliminate such an iconic weapon as the plasma rifle is beyond me.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

I'm not happy with a lot of the sound changed to the weapons/vehicles, either. The Warthog no longer sounds like a Warthog, and the Battle Rifle sounds like an airsoft gun. :|
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I really like it so far, a lot of the complaints you guys have are valid and I agree with most of them, though most aren't a big deal to me. The only thing that could potentially ruin the game for me at this point is Flood. Flood mode is awesome, don't get me wrong, but the fact that Flood MUST have their swords with either thrusters, promethean vision, or active camo completely ruins custom games for me, since that rules out so many fun, party gametypes like Halo on Halo, Fat Kid, or Jenga.
A couple of other complaints:
Hidden/Spoiler:
-They got rid of some of the best types. Race was fun as heck in Reach, and I played invasion like no tomorrow, and now both of them are gone, as well as plain assault and even VIP, so rocket race is impossible now.
-Gravity volumes are rather unpolished. For example, a Grifball/Oddball thrown in one glitches out and freezes in place.
-They ruined Grifball. It was an easy fix to make it so that it was played in 5 rounds instead of 1 round with 5 straight goals, but it was still an inconvenience and was a nonsensical change.
-No good forge maps. Not only are the maps all complete crap for forging anyway, but they're so darn small. Making a map like Halo on Halo would be impossible, even if the gametype were possible.
-Boring playlist choice. Grifball is a default gametype now, and there's no playlist for it? Seriously?
And some praise:
Hidden/Spoiler:
-Graphics and sound. I know some sounds were unpleasant changes, and the forge monitor is annoying as heck, but the sounds for promethean weapons and the like are, in my opinion, awesome.
-Music. I'm so glad they didn't even try to replace Marty's composing. They knew the music wouldn't be as good, so they made it less prominent. Good on them.
-Their stuff that they obviously took from CoD. Killcams were, IMO, the only good thing about CoD and they took that. Their loadouts are good. The weapons, etc are (mostly) well-balanced and being a higher rank than someone hardly gives you the upper hand by way of better weapons and abilities.
-Map Design. I haven't played every map yet, but so far, every map in the game is good, or at least better than... Paradiso... Ugh.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Going back to my old armor set. Reach basically split Scout into Scout and Military Police so I'm glad to have it back.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Forge isn't as bad as I first thought. They do have a little more paint added to the pieces than Reach did. Magnets are still useless and I still can't seem to understand the reason why they removed zooming/fine editing mode.

As for the multiplayer, the base gameplay is much better than Reach, but they need to get rid of the absurd amount of power weapons. Seriously, I have not had a game lasting more than 5 minutes where more than half of the people in the game had some sort of power weapon.