Halo 4

Want to share hints on the best games you've downloaded? New demo we all need to see? Find other xbox players here, share ideas on everything Xbox live related!

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Halo 4

Post by Teancum »

I don't mean to be "that guy", but given the length of the list why not just play Halo 3? Personally I love Halo 4. If it weren't for how much I enjoyed Reach it'd be my #1. The first three are behind H4 and Reach in my book. Pretty far back. I still love them, but I've grown to really love H4.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I have been playing Halo 3. I would be playing it a lot more if there were more people playing and the netcode wasn't from 6 years ago. I'd even be playing Halo 2 if it was still around and hadn't fallen completely to modding and internet-related shenanigans.

There's a modded no-sprint slayer gametype I have downloaded, maybe I'll just try to make the base version of what I want in that just to see how it plays. :P
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Ugh, the only problem I really have with Halo 4 is the awful weapon sounds, they all sound pathetically weak like they don't pack a punch. (Which is something BioWare got PERFECT in Mass Effect 3. :P )
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I think it's the opposite. They're waaaaaay too loud, to the point I have often referred to the loudener from The Simpsons being on the DMR.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Well, you can amplify the sound of tissue paper hitting the floor so that it's so loud as to hurt your ears, but it's still going to sound like tissue paper hitting the floor.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

WULFMEN explained it well; the sounds have too much treble and not really any low-fi bass sweetening.
willinator
Major
Major
Projects :: [Coming of the Sentinels]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft Halo
xbox live or psn: PC pwns all!

Post by willinator »

While I agree with you for the most part Marth, I'd have to disagree with the UNSC Assault rifle. If anything, I think they made the gun sound beefier in this game than the previous ones.
Labj
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Halo 4
xbox live or psn: SiulS2409

Post by Labj »

I am partially agreeing with the sound stuff.

I like:
RL
The Incin
Scattershot
Light Rifle
Boltshot
Supressor
AR
DMR
Carbine
Sniper
'Nades
Stikcy det
Shotgun

I dont like eveything else. Fuel rod sounds awkward, BR doesnt sound like a gun, magnumsounds like its empty...

Railgun is so so.

@Fusion: If you dont like IS, 343 has added Slayer Pro and Lgendary Slayer (basically Halo 3 slayer...) will be released in 3 days.

Also, guys, a Race gametype mod has been uploaded and it brought back the hidden race traits, and all the stuff... Not to mention the hidden player size trait! I dont have a link right now, but it is pretty easy to find.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Labj wrote:@Fusion: If you dont like IS, 343 has added Slayer Pro and Lgendary Slayer (basically Halo 3 slayer...) will be released in 3 days.
It's not that I don't know those exist (and trust me, I do, and I play them often), it's more 343 operating with the philosophy of bringing in a new problem to fix a current one without just learning how to fix the current problem. Vehicles too powerful? Let people spawn with a Plasma Pistol and 2-3 Plasma Grenades. Loadout weapons ruining vehicle play? Introduce a perk that allows you to escape vehicles when they get destroyed and increase the power of the chainguns on vehicles. What are they going to do next when this gets out of hand? Introduce a perk that allows you to shoot through vehicles at the driver? Let you hijack vehicles from halfway across the map?
Labj
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Halo 4
xbox live or psn: SiulS2409

Post by Labj »

Hmm, I have to agree about the PP and Stickies part.

I see it simple, if somebody doesnt like IS, they can just go play LS in 3 days. It will have it's own playlist and I definetely have to go and play it.

Personally, I think every Halo game has been good on its own way. I like loadouts, TBH.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Fusion wrote:It's not that I don't know those exist (and trust me, I do, and I play them often), it's more 343 operating with the philosophy of bringing in a new problem to fix a current one without just learning how to fix the current problem.
The problem is a lot of that is subjective. What one person thinks as OP weapon/vehicle another thinks as perfect. Perk and abilities let players combat that as they see fit.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

That's a fine premise for a game built for that sort of thing, but Halo was never about that level of user customization until Reach came out. It was about starting on an even playing field and if something got too powerful you complained to Shishka until someone at Bungie poked him with a stick to wake him up and he got rid of it. They might as well have just created a new IP with this style.

I don't even want to get into the population problems because I typed up something 1000+ words and deleted it. I'll just say aiming at a crowd that likes being told they're great at all times will result in some very fair-weather players.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

While I sorta love the armor perks in the new titles, I miss everything from Halo CE. :(
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Fusion wrote:That's a fine premise for a game built for that sort of thing, but Halo was never about that level of user customization until Reach came out. It was about starting on an even playing field and if something got too powerful you complained to Shishka until someone at Bungie poked him with a stick to wake him up and he got rid of it. They might as well have just created a new IP with this style.

I don't even want to get into the population problems because I typed up something 1000+ words and deleted it. I'll just say aiming at a crowd that likes being told they're great at all times will result in some very fair-weather players.
To each their own. I look at the power Halo 4 has in regards to customization and it appeals to me. I'm focused on making totally new custom gametypes (and not some mess-with-ingame-options gametype) and its scripting engine is quite powerful. The community tools are still early, but Halo 4 really appeals to me. Going back and playing Halo 3 feels so sluggish and boring to be honest. I love the campaign, and I sorta miss dual wielding (and the flamethrower/fire grenades) but Halo 4 appeals to me, and not in the "Halo + Call of Duty" sort of way, because I can't stand CoD gameplay.

What I'd really like to see from 343i is a true callout to the community like they did with Halo CE. For instance I want to be able to download the ODST Firefight maps for Reach, even if it were $5 or so. I'd like to see a Coagulation as a Forge map so that people could create Blood Gulch, other Halo CE/Halo 2 maps, or even new creations. Stuff like that. I like the direction 343i is going, but I'll admit they can't forget the fundamentals that let them climb aboard the gravy train.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Another thing that really upset me was how they killed off so many communities.
- High Speed Halo is gone because campaign and spops/firefight theater wasn't brought back.
- Grifball had to do a lot of work to get back to where it was because of 343's wonderful ideas of how they wanted to fix it with apparently no input from the people who created it.
- People who take screenshots lost their ability to take all of the ones they could have with the campaign and spops maps because of theater being removed for the co-op modes.
- MLG was screwed over because Microsoft signed a deal with Virgin Gaming which made it impossible for them to have complete funding. Not to mention instant respawn was impossible to turn off in the first few months of the game, which in turn made any kind of setup impossible.
- Anyone making content from the game and wanting to share it had no support until 3-4 months after the game came out. File Shares had no sort of search mechanic other than by gamertag, making it incredibly difficult to find forge maps, screenshots, or videos.
- Forge users were stuck with very small maps that had no real flat areas other than a Sandbox Crypt-size grifball arena that had horrible lighting and horrible glossy-yet-rusted forge pieces. It wasn't until one ex-Bungie employee and the MP Design Lead made Forge Island on their own time, somehow managing to outdo the entirety of Certain Affinity who made the first three maps, that I felt like forging anything.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

I really can only relate to the last two, but I'll say that while the three forge maps were originally very tough to forge on two of the three (read: not Erosion) have churned out some amazing maps that utilize the terrain. In regards to MLG, good riddance. That's a class of players I'd rather see in other games. I personally can't stand the "pro gamer" scene and have difficulty understanding its appeal.

That being said, I respect you and therefore respect your opinion. But at least when Halo 3 becomes a free Games on Demand sometime between August and December the lobbies will fill back up again and you'll have players in your favorite Halo game. :thumbs:
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Teancum wrote:In regards to MLG, good riddance. That's a class of players I'd rather see in other games. I personally can't stand the "pro gamer" scene and have difficulty understanding its appeal.
Halo wouldn't have even lasted to 3 if it wasn't for the hardcore. They have just as much right to give their input on the game as anyone else. To them, learning the way the game's rules work and using that knowledge to be the best they can be at it is more fun than colorful orbs flying through the air with no rhyme or reason.

To be honest, I'm actually quite shocked at this sentiment of being glad they've left due to their favorite way of playing being shattered. I bet it wasn't so fun having Living Dead or Rocket Race confined to a weekend only playlist. I doubt you wouldn't be the slightest bit enraged if you got bored of having nothing to play during the week and left to the sounds of the competitive saying "In regards to the minigame players, good riddance. That' a class of player I'd rather see in other games. I personally can't stand the "casual gamer" hordes and have difficulty understanding the appeal."
Teancum wrote: That being said, I respect you and therefore respect your opinion. But at least when Halo 3 becomes a free Games on Demand sometime between August and December the lobbies will fill back up again and you'll have players in your favorite Halo game. :thumbs:
Can't wait. I actually hopped back on recently to try to remember how to play it. I didn't remember the FOV being that bad.

Also, sorry if it looks like I'm fighting you at every chance I get when it comes to Xbox related stuff. At least I've grown out of what I used to do by just yelling at people and working behind the scenes to get them banned, right? :P
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Fusion wrote:To be honest, I'm actually quite shocked at this sentiment of being glad they've left due to their favorite way of playing being shattered. I bet it wasn't so fun having Living Dead or Rocket Race confined to a weekend only playlist. I doubt you wouldn't be the slightest bit enraged if you got bored of having nothing to play during the week and left to the sounds of the competitive saying "In regards to the minigame players, good riddance. That' a class of player I'd rather see in other games. I personally can't stand the "casual gamer" hordes and have difficulty understanding the appeal."P
To clarify, that's mostly a matter of who I like to play with in or outside of matchmaking. I don't like some of the 'bad crowd' in MLG-mentalitied people. It's the minority, but it comes down to those guys who will lag quit just to not join a game in progress. I don't play to be #1. I play solely to have fun, so I can't understand the obsession. It's the same way I feel about gamerscore chasers who will play through a terrible game just because the achievements are easy to 1000/1000.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Legendary Slayer is alright. I hate the AR starts as expected, but it plays closer to Halo than anything else added to Halo 4 in the last few months. Got my 5th perfection on Lockout.

Oh, and apparently they're trying really hard to be Bungie now. AR starts with no Magnum and Spartan Lasers on Adrift. Just like old times.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Well, well, well. Look at Mr. Popular over here porting Haloball over to 4. :P