cbadal
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: SWBF2 XBOX Mod Environment
Games I'm Playing :: SW Battlefront 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Latest Release - Version 7

Post by cbadal »

AnthonyBF2, I'm not sure how you are building this for PSP, but could you try a build for the Xbox?
Or at least try the Xbox munge on a couple worlds to see how it goes?
I've got a setup script for Xbox building here:
https://github.com/BAD-AL/SWBF2_Xbox_mo ... _setup.bat
Pretty simple setup.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

cbadal wrote:AnthonyBF2, I'm not sure how you are building this for PSP, but could you try a build for the Xbox?
Or at least try the Xbox munge on a couple worlds to see how it goes?
I've got a setup script for Xbox building here:
https://github.com/BAD-AL/SWBF2_Xbox_mo ... _setup.bat
Pretty simple setup.
I am at a loss as to what you're asking + I am leaving for work in five minutes.
cbadal
Corporal
Corporal

Post by cbadal »

In my BF2_ModTools enviornment I can build/munge for PC, PS2 or Xbox.
I'm assuming you have a setup where you can munge for PC, PSP and PS2.
Running that setup script I mentioned will give you the ability to munge for the Xbox also.

In your Lua scripts, you would have to make sure you kept this logic that the stock mission files had in 'ScriptInit()':

Code: Select all

-- actual numbers may vary
if ScriptCB_GetPlatform() == "PSP" then
        SetPSPModelMemory(4267825)
        SetPSPClipper(1)
else
        SetPS2ModelMemory(4056000)
end
I think it would be neat to play this mod on the Xbox too and am requesting that you (when you have time) do the Xbox munge and release the result.
If you don't want to go through the Xbox testing process, I can do that. I am hopeful that since the PSP and Xbox have similar memory constraints, the levels will run well on the Xbox.

It could be the case that your PSP build/munge enviornment is quite different from the PC munge and would not allow you to do this easily.
I wouldn't expect you to take more than an hour or 2 on the Xbox build though.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

cbadal wrote:In my BF2_ModTools enviornment I can build/munge for PC, PS2 or Xbox.
I'm assuming you have a setup where you can munge for PC, PSP and PS2.
Running that setup script I mentioned will give you the ability to munge for the Xbox also.

In your Lua scripts, you would have to make sure you kept this logic that the stock mission files had in 'ScriptInit()':

Code: Select all

-- actual numbers may vary
if ScriptCB_GetPlatform() == "PSP" then
        SetPSPModelMemory(4267825)
        SetPSPClipper(1)
else
        SetPS2ModelMemory(4056000)
end
I think it would be neat to play this mod on the Xbox too and am requesting that you (when you have time) do the Xbox munge and release the result.
If you don't want to go through the Xbox testing process, I can do that. I am hopeful that since the PSP and Xbox have similar memory constraints, the levels will run well on the Xbox.

It could be the case that your PSP build/munge enviornment is quite different from the PC munge and would not allow you to do this easily.
I wouldn't expect you to take more than an hour or 2 on the Xbox build though.
Yes I see now what you want. First know I can do that but probably won't be bothered. The PSP mod won't be finished for a long time. When I do get done I'll most likely toss all my source files for Teancum and he can do what he wants with it at that time.

Also note I'm using the PS2 munge option. The PSP is essentially a mini PS2 and the general programming of the system and SWBF2 are about the same.

If you hadn't read any previous PSP discussions, be aware of the 2MB video limit. Most textures have to be 128x128 or less depending on how many texture files are currently loading into the 2MB video memory.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Just out of curiosity, I remember you had issues with bringing new unit models in. Is it possible to use Sleepkiller's swbf-unmunge tool on the PSP LVL files, retrieve the models, load them into Mod Tool and see why they're different? swbf-unmunge works on PS2 LVL files (though it doesn't extract textures) so it could work on PSP LVL files.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

ggctuk wrote:Just out of curiosity, I remember you had issues with bringing new unit models in. Is it possible to use Sleepkiller's swbf-unmunge tool on the PSP LVL files, retrieve the models, load them into Mod Tool and see why they're different? swbf-unmunge works on PS2 LVL files (though it doesn't extract textures) so it could work on PSP LVL files.
I am still learning how to use SK's unmunge tool and will sooner or later retry making characters.
cbadal
Corporal
Corporal

Post by cbadal »

AnthonyBF2 wrote: Yes I see now what you want. First know I can do that but probably won't be bothered. The PSP mod won't be finished for a long time. When I do get done I'll most likely toss all my source files for Teancum and he can do what he wants with it at that time.

Also note I'm using the PS2 munge option. The PSP is essentially a mini PS2 and the general programming of the system and SWBF2 are about the same.

If you hadn't read any previous PSP discussions, be aware of the 2MB video limit. Most textures have to be 128x128 or less depending on how many texture files are currently loading into the 2MB video memory.
Hmm...
So this mod should then be playable on a PS2 (with the correct platform memory setup in the 'ScriptInit' mission files)?
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

cbadal wrote:
AnthonyBF2 wrote: Yes I see now what you want. First know I can do that but probably won't be bothered. The PSP mod won't be finished for a long time. When I do get done I'll most likely toss all my source files for Teancum and he can do what he wants with it at that time.

Hmm...
So this mod should then be playable on a PS2 (with the correct platform memory setup in the 'ScriptInit' mission files)?
I've already began (Currently paused) a PS2 mod but in a completely different modding setup. Many things do have to be tweaked between PS2 and PSP, enough for me to not care about listing them off here. In time the PS2 mod will become alive and I will strive to make it as similar to PSP as possible.

Lastly, there is nothing special that has to be added in the PS2 mission scripts, as long as you don't overreach the hardware limits, any new content can be made to work. I've successfully tested new characters complete with new weapons and animations, vehicles, maps, modes, and menu items before I got bored with that project.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

AnthonyBF2 wrote:
ggctuk wrote:Just out of curiosity, I remember you had issues with bringing new unit models in. Is it possible to use Sleepkiller's swbf-unmunge tool on the PSP LVL files, retrieve the models, load them into Mod Tool and see why they're different? swbf-unmunge works on PS2 LVL files (though it doesn't extract textures) so it could work on PSP LVL files.
I am still learning how to use SK's unmunge tool and will sooner or later retry making characters.
Hmm... I've taken a cursory look (using the PS2 switch in swbf-unmunge). Loading the extracted rep_inf_trooper.msh, interestingly enough, the model is broken into three pieces (though that might be the unmunge that did that) but the bone structure is identical to SWBF2 on PC (minus the roots and effs). So it's not clear as to why new models don't work as intended, it could be something in the munge process was changed. As a side note, the models in the PSP version have the same number of tris as the PC version, so as long as you don't go crazy with model detail, it's not the model detail itself that causes the issues.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

The one model I care about the most is Darth Vader. If we can get a new Vader model working then I'll be one happy dude.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Just curious, have you tried using the SWBF1 Vader? I doubt it would help, but it couldn't hurt. You'd lose the cloth physics, but if it worked you'd be set.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Teancum wrote:Just curious, have you tried using the SWBF1 Vader? I doubt it would help, but it couldn't hurt. You'd lose the cloth physics, but if it worked you'd be set.
Tried and failed.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

I think I remember you having issues a while back, he looked all deformed or something, or did he outright crash?
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Teancum wrote:I think I remember you having issues a while back, he looked all deformed or something, or did he outright crash?
Originally it was playable but looked chopped up. I tried again recently to replicate it but it crashed completely.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

I'm pretty sure the PSP porters (Savage Studios or something IIRC) altered the munge in some way that we don't know about. Don't think there's anybody in the community who knows somebody on that dev team (I know psych0fred knows and has nothing on the various platform versions as he wasn't even aware of weapon model changes on the PS2 version of the first game)
SleepKiller
Corporal
Corporal
xbox live or psn: N/A

Post by SleepKiller »

ggctuk wrote:Hmm... I've taken a cursory look (using the PS2 switch in swbf-unmunge). Loading the extracted rep_inf_trooper.msh, interestingly enough, the model is broken into three pieces (though that might be the unmunge that did that)
Nope, swbf-unmunge doesn't do anything like that but modelmunge does. (Assuming you're meaning the model is made up of three discrete meshes that connect together seamlessly and not that there are visual discontinuities in the model.) Now assuming the former and assuming it was the usual two (head and body) before being munged, it does tell us something interesting about the way the PSP model was munged.

First for anyone unfamilar with it a quick lesson with how skinned mesh segments are handled, each platform has a limit on the number of bones that can be used to transform any single segment. This is as per the modtools documentation 16 on xbox/pc and 32 on ps2. This is set through the -maxbones option for modelmunge. Any segment that is skinned to more bones than -maxbones is split so that each segment is under the limit.

Now the interesting thing about that model you extracted is that on the ps2 we wouldn't expect there to be any splitting because the number of bones in a normal skeleton is 24 and the segment limit is 32. This suggests that one of the things that was changed was the bone limit on the PSP. My guess would be down to 16 or something around that. It's worth noting that (if I remember correctly) you can see crashing when you go over the bone limit of the game, so it's definitely important to make sure you have this set correctly.

The other difference that I do know of in the ps2/psp munge processes of is ps2 model segments have a chunk named "_PS2" that comes right before the chunks containing "_PSP". It looks like it contains bit flags and I would guess there is a good chance the actual contents of the chunk are the same across versions, it may just be the name that is different. You could try hexediting the name to "_PSP" in your munged character models and see if it makes any difference.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Thanks to SleepKiller's extraction tools, the following has been made possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXLGbjzb_XA

pssst ... admins, youtube embedding seems to be broken.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

The embed works with youtu.be links as opposed to the full URL IIRC, so it should be:

Last edited by giftheck on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
josegamer99
Recruit Womprat Killer
Games I'm Playing :: battlefront

Post by josegamer99 »

will you add that system wich lets you choose between the voices and music in v8?
Lordawesome23
Private
Games I'm Playing :: StarWarsBattlefront2

Post by Lordawesome23 »

Yes I’m sure Anthony will have a plan for that