For all things related to AnthonyBF2's Battlefront PSP mod

Moderators: AnthonyBF2, Moderators

AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

The PS2 Project

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

So here it is - I've gotten my PS2 fully softmodded and I've officially begun working on the PS2 project. It will be relatively the same as the PSP project which I am taking a large break from. I aim to do pretty much the same thing I did with the PSP version.

This time I going to take my time and do one specific thing at a time instead of beginning too many things to keep up with as I did on the PSP. The to do list will be somewhat in this order:

1) Setup fake console and free camera and a few other 1.3 aspects similar to Battlefront 2 on PC
2) Set up a skin changer - an automatic one for map environment variations and a manual one for fake console
3) More game modes for default SWBF2 maps - hero assault in all maps is one the first priorities
4) SWBF1 map conversions one at a time
5) Game modes for SWBF1 maps - this kinda goes with part 4
6) Custom maps with game modes
7) New characters & vehicles - after maps are done and ready then new vehicles and characters will be assigned accordingly

Sacrifices will be made too but not many. At the time the only sacrificed being planned is the use of first person view. This will save me a good amount of video memory on the PS2 which can be used to make other things look better. If I rebuild the HUD, I may rip away weapon icons as I also did with the PSP project.

The first release won't be soon and releases will be far apart because I want there to be as much content as possible in between each release. Methods of distribution have not been confirmed but I am thinking mainly I will upload the game's _LVL_PS2 folder and it'll be up to each person to set the game up to be played. In order to run the modded version of the game you'll need to mod your PS2. The easiest way to do this is to get it done for you - which is possible. I am working with a PS2 modder on Reddit to buy a mass amount of memory cards with the custom software installed that I will personally distribute to anyone who wants one - free of charge. Donations will be accepted but are not required. You just have to trust me to give me your address and name. However, no requests are being taken at this time so do not ask me for anything. I will announce when I am ready to begin taking requests.
If you don't want to deal with any of that, you're free to mod your PS2 on your own the hard way. You won't learn this here so Google is your best friend. Either way, it remains up to each person to figure out how to get the mods into the game and running (once I release them). I can't explain everything here required for that because it may violate the site rules regarding piracy and jailbreaking devices.

As I progress along I will take screenshots and videos and post them in this thread. Feel free to discuss anything and ask me anything below. Feel free to make requests about what you'd like to see in the game and provide any other feedback. Just one note: Don't ask or discuss console hacking and piracy. This is against GT's rules.

Thanks!
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: The PS2 Project

Post by Marth8880 »

Awesome! I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this despite not owning the game on PS2 haha
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I recommend getting it. Online still works using SWBFspy, though has few players. Plus the game will be much better after mods. 8)

Oops for replying this inside your reply :P
DylanRocket
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DylanRocket »

This sounds exciting! Makes me wish I had a modded PS2 lol.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

First update:

I cut out DNAS garbage, this cuts down hugely on multiplayer issues. Now the game goes from network success screen to the GameSpy login screen.
I also set SWBFspy as the primary masterserver by editing SWBFRNT2.ELF and replacing all gamespy.com strings with swbfspy.com strings. The advantage of this is now there is no need to enter SWBFgamers' DNS numbers into the net config on the PS2. The game now goes online directly as it did before GameSpy died, providing you made a net config normally on the PS2.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

A PS2 mod should work out easier as it's identical to the Xbox build (apart from the obvious differences in quality of textures and models). You should be able to get custom models into the game too.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

:D Awesome, wish I had a ps2 slim.(Use to at one point) I Cant wait to see videos or pictures though!
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote::D Awesome, wish I had a ps2 slim.(Use to at one point) I Cant wait to see videos or pictures though!
As long as the custom software is installed to the memory card, it can be used in any console version. What I did was order a memory card already loaded with the software since doing it the hard way was too much for me.

Update: First person has been eliminated. I've begun messing around with little graphical improvements here and there on stock maps but don't have anything worth showing yet.
Isaac1138
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: BF1+2 stronghold

Post by Isaac1138 »

So how will you be able to put this on your ps2? The PS2 disc is non-writable disc.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Isaac1138 wrote:So how will you be able to put this on your ps2? The PS2 disc is non-writable disc.
Please re-read the postings above carefully. It involves a hacked memory card with custom firmware. Once you have that, it enables several ways to play games.

- Burn a new DVD
- USB
- Networking from a computer
- Hard drive (Big PS2 model only)

I'm using the USB method as it is the easiest. The only downside is long load times. I'd rather deal with long load times than pulling my hair out over networking rubbish or wasting money on tons of DVDs.

Keep in mind I can't explain any of the actual methods here because it violates GT rules, so Google is your friend.
RogueAssassin2488
Private First Class

Post by RogueAssassin2488 »

Sounds awesome yet confusing at the same time
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Update:

After doing more research on PS2 hardware I have concluded that it might be possible to exceed the limit of 4MB of video memory in SWBF2. It seems that PS2 games may use part of the 32MB of system memory as extra video memory. After some tests, I do believe SWBF2 utilizes this feature.

I started by setting up a new map file for Coruscant. By default, most texture files are sized at 512x512 and 256x256 which is the standard for the PC version. Obviously, these have to be stomped down somewhat on PS2 to even be playable. In the Coruscant assets I set all map object textures at 128x128. I set some textures that are solid colors to be 64x64. I set the radar texture to be 256x256. Overall, all of the texture files in the Coruscant assets came out over 4MB with at least 3.75MB of the texture files actually being loaded into the file and/or game. Now keep in mind the game also uses a lot of video memory to load graphic files for side items (characters, weapons, vehicles), hud items (health bar, weapon icons, fonts), and common items (fire, gun sparks, smoke). These 3 sets of things use at least their own portion of video memory which probably sits anywhere from 1MB to 2MB depending on game modes.

After going through all of this, I believe SWBF2 does utilize part of the 32MB of system memory as video memory because my new Coruscant file + all of the other texture items go way over the limit of 4MB. The question is, how much of the 32MB of system memory does SWBF2 use for more video memory? At the time I don't have a way to know that. I am going to keep testing things and ideas to see how far I can push the graphic capabilities.

Also keep in mind that I've cleared out first person junk and am also planning to cut out rather useless stuff like sky objects, mist, fogs, smoke etc from maps that have such items so we're getting more space than normally available.

Edit:

I'm running new world files for Mos Eisley and Jabba's Palace with object textures sized at 256 and radar screens at 512. Each of the two maps is easily going over 5MB to 7MB worth of textures. Each radar texture alone is almost 800KB. SWBF2 definitely uses more than a limit of 4MB as previously thought. This really excites me now, Battlefront 1 maps are going to look fantastic.

Edit 2:

I've successfully rebuilt all of the side files and everything remains playable but I have to tweak graphics to get back to their original level of quality. (I was lowering everything pretty low to be sure it at least worked)

Anyway, the ability to rebuild sides is good news because that means new character models can be put into the game.

Also some things are excessively shiny like CIS droids and the Dark Trooper. I guess this is because the player models have PC render parameters. I'm not going to remove this feature but I will look into lowering it so it is not excessive as it is right now.

Edit 3: I am giving up on fake console for now because I can't get it working the same way I did with PSP so I've begun working on SWBF1 maps. Bespin levels are first and are near 100%. Videos will come soon. I don't have the proper recording hardware so all current videos will be made by propping my personal camera near my tv. Yeah, you'll have to deal with me humming along (terribly) to Star Wars music and my silly laughing.

First video for PS2: Bespin: Platforms
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Very cool, Anthony! Great work so far! :thumbs:
SG-17
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by SG-17 »

Will anything you are doing break online compatibility with unmodded versions of the game?
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

SG-17 wrote:Will anything you are doing break online compatibility with unmodded versions of the game?
Online compatibility remains functional and in fact easier because I removed DNAS junk. However, the modded version of the game can't played with people who are playing with the stock game due to mismatches in code/maps/sides etc. The client side (modded game) will crash or freeze when joining or if you join a session it will freeze at the end on the victory/defeat screen.

When I release the mod, only people who have the mod can play online with people who also have the mod.
People with the default game will have to continue playing with people who have the default game.

I do intend to release an updated set of server manager files along with the mod so people can host dedicated mod servers. I might even host my own using my personal vps.

Edit: I am also planning to help mass distribute pre-loaded memory cards to people within the SWBF/SWBF2 PS2 community for the sole purpose of bringing life back into multiplayer. It would still be up to each person to determine which method they will use for actually running the mod and doing that part on their own. (ex. DVD, USB, Network)

EDIT:
I dug around in my computer and found my original files for the PS2 project I started over a year ago and forgot about. These files have working fake console + they have something I've done (forgot what) that keeps multiplayer working. So now, when a person plays the modded game, they're game should remain stable when they play with default players using default content. Of course, you can't actually play new content with default players but the default content on modded client + host should be matched up correctly.
These files also contain hero assault prepared for all maps except Yavin as well as few cool hunt modes I did. This saves me some time.
In the next few days I will begin picking and combining the files from both sets of project files into one and continue with my work.
RogueAssassin2488
Private First Class

Post by RogueAssassin2488 »

AnthonyBF2 wrote:I recommend getting it. Online still works using SWBFspy, though has few players. Plus the game will be much better after mods. 8)

Online on the PS2 works?
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

RogueAssassin2488 wrote:
AnthonyBF2 wrote:I recommend getting it. Online still works using SWBFspy, though has few players. Plus the game will be much better after mods. 8)

Online on the PS2 works?
Yes, visit SWBFspy forums at swbfgamers.com for how to get it set up.
SG-17
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by SG-17 »

Can't wait to see how this goes. Especially excited for playing BF1 maps online.
SomekidwithPS2
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Star Wars Battlefrot

Post by SomekidwithPS2 »

Hi, I'm wondering if you want to work with me on a Battlefront 2 PS2 mod, I ported maps from BF1 and one from your PC mods. I don't have much software on me, other than a Hex Editor, would you like to help develop it?

I would like to help you with your mod, but I need to learn howyou make your maps, I would like to help, and a little from you...
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

SomekidwithPS2 wrote:Hi, I'm wondering if you want to work with me on a Battlefront 2 PS2 mod, I ported maps from BF1 and one from your PC mods. I don't have much software on me, other than a Hex Editor, would you like to help develop it?

I would like to help you with your mod, but I need to learn howyou make your maps, I would like to help, and a little from you...
I'm not working on the PS2 mod at this time. I finally got my spark back and will be focusing on the PSP mod for a while. Also I don't really need help in regards to the PS2 mod. The PS2 version hasn't presented me with any unique issues related to PS2. It's just a matter of me getting around to doing everything I listed above, like porting SWBF1 maps and new characters. I also like to be in charge as much as possible. I don't work with anyone else if I don't have to.