CharcterLimitInWindowsShortcuts.CanYouIncrease/WorkAroundIt?

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Ace_Azzameen_5
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

CharcterLimitInWindowsShortcuts.CanYouIncrease/WorkAroundIt?

Post by Ace_Azzameen_5 »

You may notice you can only type a certain amount of letters into the target box of a shortcut/the run box(Mash the keyboard and try it). It would be a huge help if someone could show me how to incrase the limit.

One of the bennefits of more typing rom in the target box would be being able to run battlefront servers at system startup, in the tray(beside the clock) where its out of the way.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

RE: CharcterLimitInWindowsShortcuts.CanYouIncrease/WorkAroun

Post by Leviathan »

I think a Batch file (*.BAT) could work out this problem. Just give me the path(s) of the program you want to launch at Windows start-up... :)
Ace_Azzameen_5
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Ace_Azzameen_5 »

Its the dedicated server, not the User Interface, but the little windows.

here is the command line, but you'll have to make a new batch everytime I need to put new maps. For now, just make me one using this line, which will run rippentucks ord mantell

The Command Line(Excludes Brackets):
("C:\program files\lucasarts\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\battlefrontpcserver.exe" /noaim /win /norender /autonet dedicated /resolution 240 120/nosound /gamename Ord_Mantell:No_Greater_Glory /playerlimit 50 /playercount 1 /bots 32 /difficulty 2 /throttle 3072 /spawn 5 Rippen1c 500 500 Rippen1a 500 500)

And make an alternate one to start it using trayconizer. I'm not sure if it will work though but here goes.

)"C:\Program Files\WhitSoft\Trayconizer.exe" -minimmize C:\program files\lucasarts\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\battlefrontpcserver.exe /noaim /win /norender /autonet dedicated /resolution 240 120/nosound /gamename Ord_Mantell:No_Greater_Glory /playerlimit 50 /playercount 1 /bots 32 /difficulty 2 /throttle 3072 /spawn 5 Rippen1c 500 500 Rippen1a 500 500)
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

In fact, the Batch file you want is almost the same as the command line of the shortcut... I think it could work...
"C:\program files\lucasarts\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\battlefrontpcserver.exe" /noaim /win /norender /autonet dedicated /resolution 240 120 /nosound /gamename Ord_Mantell:No_Greater_Glory /playerlimit 50 /playercount 1 /bots 32 /difficulty 2 /throttle 3072 /spawn 5 Rippen1c 500 500 Rippen1a 500 500
... But the number of additional parameters could make this Batch unusable...
Nevertheless, I hope it will help... :)
Ace_Azzameen_5
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Ace_Azzameen_5 »

The ultimate goal of all this is to have a server running in the backround whenever my pc is on.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

If you want to reduce SWBF server in Windows's task-bar, just make a Batch file whose content is the following one :
"C:\Program Files\WhitSoft\Trayconizer.exe" -minimmize C:\program files\lucasarts\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\battlefrontpcserver.exe /noaim /win /norender /autonet dedicated /resolution 240 120 /nosound /gamename Ord_Mantell:No_Greater_Glory /playerlimit 50 /playercount 1 /bots 32 /difficulty 2 /throttle 3072 /spawn 5 Rippen1c 500 500 Rippen1a 500 500
Nevertheless, if it would not work, try this :
CD "C:\Program Files\WhitSoft"
"Trayconizer.exe -minimmize C:\program files\lucasarts\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\battlefrontpcserver.exe /noaim /win /norender /autonet dedicated /resolution 240 120 /nosound /gamename Ord_Mantell:No_Greater_Glory /playerlimit 50 /playercount 1 /bots 32 /difficulty 2 /throttle 3072 /spawn 5 Rippen1c 500 500 Rippen1a 500 500"
Just check if it works and send me results... :o
Ace_Azzameen_5
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Ace_Azzameen_5 »

How do you make a batch file? Any links to online tutorials? They look like very usefull things. And I want to minimize it to the tray. . .which tryconizer will do. I just need to be able to give it a very lenthy command.(Why is there a limit to how much I ca ntype into a shortcut/the run window/startup entries!!?!?!) But if I could make batch file that will do this, I could fit that. So, how do I make a batch file? Do I just make a text doc, rename it .bat, and start typing commands? If so, how do you write batch?

In summary, How do I make a batch file?
Ace_Azzameen_5
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Ace_Azzameen_5 »

Hey, thanks levithian, I did a google search and found out how to make a batch file. Ive run into some problems though, with directories with spaces taht baffle DOS type programs. I think there is a solution, as Ive seen '.bat's work with dirictories with spaces. Do you know the solution? (I tried making the batch run trayconizer, which could be placed in the C:\ directory and in turn run the SWBF server, but it did nothing, no error messages, but I'll try agian) THANKS forthe help so far, and in advance for future help.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

If you want that a Batch file manages directories with spaces and numerous characters, you must place these paths between quotes, like this :
"C:\program files\lucasarts\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\battlefrontpcserver.exe"