Petty Theft!

For discussion, WIPs, and downloads of the DMI (Dynamic Map Idea)

Moderator: Moderators

Should there be a law against stealing ships?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:39 am

Yes!
57%
No!
43%

Total votes: 7
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: None because BFII is not working
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Petty Theft!

Post by General_Nate »

Will other players be able to steal other players ships? Maybe there is like a region that will kill anyone but the owner of the ship, or somthing.... Or just make a law about it. What do you think?
Par3210
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Re: Pety Theft!

Post by Par3210 »

i think there should be a law. But no deathregions or anything. That would get plain confusing and glitchy.
Crazy_Ewok
2008 Best Amateur Avatar

Post by Crazy_Ewok »

http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 72#p251072

I think that is how to prevent someone from stealing a ship. I'm not sure if that's what Repsharpshooter wants us to do or not.
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by General_Nate »

I hope so! From the looks of the city so far, you will need a ship to get around. And since there are no spawns, if someone steals it, it's gone forever. I think I'll do that if rep says ok. (and tells me how... :? )
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by RepSharpshooter »

Yeah I could either do that, or have an OnEnterVehicle function that tracks any time someone gets in the vehicle, and boots them out if they're not me. The problem is then passengers. In both cases, passengers would not be allowed to get in it. And in both cases it would be difficult to program for every single person's ships.

The easiest solution would be to make it a rule, and have everyone follow it. But as you know some people don't follow rules unless you force them to. If only our vehicles had keys. The second OnEnterVehicle option may be the best. It could be coded so that a passenger could get in only when I'm in the vehicle, but what about this scenario:

I take my friend out in a speeder to the outskirts to go exploring. Some punk shoots me but my buddy is alive. He now cannot get into my speeder to get away. OR I am in my speeder and some punk gets in and won't get out, until I do and he steals my speeder.

I think the best solution here is a good group of well-armed friends :)

edit: oh and you need spawns. Placing a vehicle in ze as an odf doesn't work online. Sure you could make the respawn time infinite, but honestly if a punk blew up my ship I'd want it back.
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by General_Nate »

Yeah I could either do that, or have an OnEnterVehicle function that tracks any time someone gets in the vehicle, and boots them out if they're not me. The problem is then passengers. In both cases, passengers would not be allowed to get in it. And in both cases it would be difficult to program for every single person's ships.
Maybe to get around that you could make a rule that you may only have 1 seat in you ship.
I take my friend out in a speeder to the outskirts to go exploring. Some punk shoots me but my buddy is alive. He now cannot get into my speeder to get away. OR I am in my speeder and some punk gets in and won't get out, until I do and he steals my speeder.

Maybe instead of you riding in one speeder, you buddy takes his own.
oh and you need spawns. Placing a vehicle in ze as an odf doesn't work online. Sure you could make the respawn time infinite, but honestly if a punk blew up my ship I'd want it back.
Oh, ok I'll put one in!

These are just thoughts, you can disreguard all of them if you like.
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

You could also ask people to make the config for their vehicle the same as their profile name. That way, instead of a bunch of extra regions, you can compare the config with the profile name with OnEnterVehicle(). This way, each person could have their own vehicle, and it would cut down on a lot of Lua coding.

That said, each person shouldn't need their own vehicle (in fact, maybe only a select few should). I believe that both FragMe! and Mav have spare vehicles for people.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

That's a good idea, each spawn could be the profile name/password.

How do we decide which "select few" get a vehicle and which don't then? It really depends on the whole undecided economy issue.

But as Mav said somewhere else, the main thing is to get your buildings done.
It's been over a year this project has been up, and I've only received about 9 lots -- 4 using custom models. And we had over 50 people signed up.
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by General_Nate »

That said, each person shouldn't need their own vehicle (in fact, maybe only a select few should). I believe that both FragMe! and Mav have spare vehicles for people.
Why? I think it would be much better if people could show off their ship that they made. Besides, it will be hard enough for people to get around already. Especially with the new 'upper city'. So running over to FragMe!'s lot and hoping there is still a ship left will just make things harder.
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

They can have constantly spawning ships. The point of this is to show off your lot, not the ship you made / reskinned. While you can do that, I just don't know how good of an idea it would be to have 50 different vehicles on a map at once, especially one that's played online.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

General_Nate wrote:
Why? I think it would be much better if people could show off their ship that they made. Besides, it will be hard enough for people to get around already. Especially with the new 'upper city'. So running over to FragMe!'s lot and hoping there is still a ship left will just make things harder.
Well, for one thing, consider that there will be more people playing than just the people that have lots. Therefore, they will probably want vehicles as well, so it just wouldn't do to not have any vehicles for those people.
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

RepSharpshooter wrote:How do we decide which "select few" get a vehicle and which don't then?
Using OnEnterVehicle(), have a table of vehicle names and people allowed to enter them. When someone enters a vehicle, use the vehicle's name as a key, then search to see if that player's name is in the allowed/disallowed list. If the player is not allowed, then he is ejected from the vehicle or killed.

However, what is the point of adding in your vehicle to show it off if no one can use it?
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by General_Nate »

The point of ships (Well for me anyway) is so you can get around. Mabey, those 'other people who don't own a lot' can rent one from a ship renting lot.
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

@[RDH]Zerted
Sure that will work, but it seems to require more coding than what I said. The only upside to yours is that the vehicles don't need to be specially named.

@GangsterJawa
That's what mass transit is for, so everyone doesn't have to use a vehicle at once.

Hey, I'm just saying my opinion, take it or leave it. It's ultimately not for me to decide.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

Frisbeetarian wrote:I just don't know how good of an idea it would be to have 50 different vehicles on a map at once, especially one that's played online.
And by "50 different vehicles" you mean 9-15?
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Petty Theft!

Yeah for one, not everyone will submit a lot, and out of those, not everyone will make a custom vehicle. And the game can handle that many vehicles, just look at the battle arena chess game, segways, and boats.
vortexus
Private Recruit

Post by vortexus »

Its all very well u guys havin your own vehicles but... Well fo rthose of use who are rubish at ZE, will we not be able to use vehicles for free? I mean will nobody be making vehicles on their lot that are available for everyone? Say, even some very slow speeders and flyers? Just out of interest.
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by General_Nate »

I know FragMe! will have buggies, but I'm shure someone will make a ship renting lot.