Small Dilemma

For discussion, WIPs, and downloads of the DMI (Dynamic Map Idea)

Moderator: Moderators

RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Small Dilemma

Post by RepSharpshooter »

If there are AI, and it is a deathmatch mode, then each team needs to be enemy of itself. But this causes a few problems. 1) Can't spawn normally 2)Vehicle's repair weapon slices into themselves 3) 2 people can't enter the same vehicle because they are enemies

So, I'm considering dropping the AI in order to solve the above 3 problems.

But this causes another problem: most people play maps on SP mode. Without AI there really isn't anything to do. This map is more suited to be an mmorpg map, but if no one plays it online, then I don't know. But I can't really put AI back in. And the map would be more fun on MP.

Is it ok to remove AI? What do you think? I can't see any alternative.
genaral_mitch
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Small Dilemma

Post by genaral_mitch »

I'd say just remove AI.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

I think this should be a multiplayer exclusive map so AI wouldn't be necessary. With a big city map like this, there's not much to do by yourself in Single Player even with the AI around, other than to explore. In my opinion, like you said, it would be much more fun online.
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

Unless you can make lightning strike twice, I say its better to leave the AI out.
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: None because BFII is not working
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by General_Nate »

Make two modes. One SP with AI, the other, MP without. :wink:
Darth_Squoobus
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Here's an idea: Make a really small group of super AI. At most, 10.
sim-al2
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: Mapping on occasion
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII + MW4 + SC4

Post by sim-al2 »

Could you make the AI on a local team that doesn't attack anyone? Or would that still cause problems? I'm just thinking that it could be very empty without AI if there's only a few players on a server (which is fairly common).
MetalcoreRancor
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Games I'm Playing :: swbf origin

Post by MetalcoreRancor »

Ditch the ai :D
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Thanks for the input everyone, I am about ready to ditch the AI, but...
sim-al2 wrote:Could you make the AI on a local team that doesn't attack anyone? Or would that still cause problems? I'm just thinking that it could be very empty without AI if there's only a few players on a server (which is fairly common).
You know what, that gives me an idea. Put some of the AI on a local team, make this team an enemy to itself, use the force spawn script on it. (Sorta like tusken raiders only they fight themselves too)

Teams 1 and 2 are human teams, friendly to each other. Make sure friendly fire is on. The game is scripted so team kills don't matter anyways, killing anyone will earn you points.

Spawn AI around the city, with main pathing around the streets. It won't be the best gameplay, but it'd be better than none.

Only problem is that I'm not sure how many AI I can fit on team 3, I should probably just choose maybe like only the level 4 units.
General_Nate wrote:Make two modes. One SP with AI, the other, MP without. :wink:
With the setup above, AI could easily be turned off in the server options.

Granted, it will be a whole lot more fun on MP*. But I can already hear the whiny voices of 11 year olds now: "i d/l dis but ther iz no ai dis map sukz 3/10 >:(" So I figure even putting in some sort of SP gameplay will make it a little more interesting.

*Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone can host a server for a night or something? Although I'm concerned about the stability of it. It's already having trouble rendering the enormous quantity of objects. It might be wise to test MP (and SP on other people's computers) before making plans and such. I'm kinda looking forward to starting a gang with my friends, and using an abandoned building as our "base" as we defend it from everyone. The game is deathmatch, so other people will be looking for us to get kills. But maybe using teamwork, we will be better off than being alone. It would be a very interesting game to play!
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Why not just pull the old ScrptCB_IsMultiplayer() to have two sets of things?
MetalcoreRancor
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Games I'm Playing :: swbf origin

Post by MetalcoreRancor »

Rep, I'm sure if you come on xfire some time when you want a test I'll be able to make sure Gamerz can host a dedicated for your map for testing. Since you are in Gamerz ;)
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

MetalcoreRancor wrote:Rep, I'm sure if you come on xfire some time when you want a test I'll be able to make sure Gamerz can host a dedicated for your map for testing. Since you are in Gamerz ;)
Thanks!
Teancum wrote:Why not just pull the old ScrptCB_IsMultiplayer() to have two sets of things?
That being the case, In SP, it'd be as it is now. In MP, I would set teams 1 and 2 friendly to each other and remove the special force spawn timer, as well as disallow AI spawn. This would save me from having to make a local team, therefore this might be best.
FragMe!
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Not sure keep changing my mind.
Games I'm Playing :: F1 and SWBF

Post by FragMe! »

I also have my dedicated server computer if you wanted to test there as well.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Ok well, I decided on having just 2 eras, cw = sp, gcw = mp. This is the easiest and it works right now.

Everything to make it "good enough to be a beta" is done, so we just need to test. I'll try to be on xfire today, if you see me later on today, I'll probably be looking for testers. At the moment I'll be munging and or uploading though.

@Frag, thanks, maybe we can test that way. I dont want to have rancor do the bother of ftping it to gmrz server if there are bugs.
Broken_box
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Broken_box »

MetalcoreRancor wrote:Rep, I'm sure if you come on xfire some time when you want a test I'll be able to make sure Gamerz can host a dedicated for your map for testing. Since you are in Gamerz ;)
I love you Rancor.