Patch and Editor News

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

ShadowHawk
Old School Staff
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by ShadowHawk »

My probs are graphical. I'm able to fly into a star destroyer every so often and blow up the auto turrets and such from underneath. Won't let me fly through the hanger though. Destroys the craft instantly. This is the only glitch I've seen so far other than the typical low IQ AI. They like running into my shots all the time. Normally that's not a problem, but they just so happen to be my team members! Hope the patch fixes the gfx prob because it seems to be happenng to a lot of people. I still think this is a great game though. Add the Modtools and it will make my day.
KonKushn

Post by KonKushn »

First, I must say that you folks are great. You have really been nice to me since I joined the forums, and thanks Guru for backing up my creds. :)

I am a software developer (20+ years) and a graphics guy too. I have been keenly interested in modding but have never had the time cycles to really get into it. After going through the SWBF2 beta process and continuing in-depth with the SWBF2 server, I am really intrested in investing the time into modding.

My holy grail at the moment is to have Bespin Cloud City in the game. My contacts at Pandemic let me know that the lighting, textures, models, materials, etc., in the new engine are quite different and that moving Cloud City over would not be trivial. So, we'll see.

I am currently working on some technical mods - such as a sniper reticle when non-zoomed and TeamSpeak integration/display. These are implemented similarly to Fraps. Man, hooking into DirectX 9c is HARD! But I am making progress!!

I am also working on a web-based server manager. Image being able to control your server remotely just using a web browser. Pandemic has supplied me with all the RCON information and I will start coding very soon!

As for what the Editor consists of, I don't know. I do know that they only have one person assigned to building the editor, so I am not sure how comprehensive it will be.

A lot of people (myself included) can't play the game without some hacks. The main issue is problems with dual core CPUs. So, I can't wait to test the patch!

Cheers!

-k
Qdin
Old School Staff
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Qdin »

Lucky you :P

you're a '.odf modder'? or skinner? or modeller? (I'm pretty interested since that'll make people aware of your skills :) )

I don't care about the Mod Tools; so long as they work HARD on them, I won't care if it takes up to 1 month longer :P

and when I've been reading the 'manual' for the game, I don't see many modellers or animators...

and btw, at page 25, under the Credits, in 'passage' (there's 5 of them on that page, and its in the 4th) it says:
"Luci Wolfe, will you marry me?"
boy, I sure hope she reads it :roll:
if its not a joke: CONGRATZ!!! :P :P :P :D :D :D
if it is: boo!

lol

C ya

- Qdin
KonKushn

Post by KonKushn »

I am not sure what I am! :)

I have done modeling and textures before, but not in games. So it will be interesting to see how things work out.

I agree on the editor! Quality vs getting it out quickly.

-k
dipstick555

Post by dipstick555 »

well, i think as soon as they make a working version of an editor they should send it here for testing! :wink:
Postulio

Post by Postulio »

i havent had any problems with it. An update is welcome tohough hopefully theres mod tools with it.
Kyross

Post by Kyross »

Since I'm not here nearly as often as I should be, a late welcome to KunKushn.

Exactly how late I am, I haven't a clue.

I am so anxious for mod tools for SWBF2 I sometimes forget I don't even have the game yet. Modding for the first game is still fun but it is getting old.

Face informs me that chaingun thing is in more places than just turrets and the Y wing, such as the back of an AT-TE. Stuff like this can be fixed with the mod tools, and I think something like that would just drive me crazy. The chaingun shots just isn't very...Star warsy.

Anyway. Really looking forward to these.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Hmmm---Too bad there'll be Liscence issues with assets. It'd be nice to se new vehicles in BF1.
RDST

Post by RDST »

Hope they fix the framerate problems. Makes the game unplayable :?
KonKushn

Post by KonKushn »

What kind of framerate problems are you seeing? I haven't seen any at all. Liquid smooth.

You will run into framerate problems if you have your video settings set too high, have too little memory, have a severely underpowered CPU, or if the server you are playing on has its bandwidth settings set incorrectly. Your ping to servers is also a factor.
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Do you know if this patch will fix the crashes that oh-so-many players have been having? Not the crash to the desktop crash, but the freezing of the computer crash. It's supposedly some kind of audio problem... I don't know... A lot of people have it, and it happens to people regardless of their system specs or anything. It's completely random, and seems to happen to only a select few people. Unfortunately, I happen to be one of those people, and it's annoying, since I'm always playing this game, and it can get really frustrating when it happens right in the middle of a game I'm playing with some of my fellow clan members (MotR, yo).

See this topic for details on what exactly the problem is. Any news on a fix for this would be welcome. It's really one of the only major problems I'm having with this game. Other than that, it works fine.
CarbineImpulse

Post by CarbineImpulse »

Reading that I had similar problems, I was also occasionally getting an nv4_disp error. The reason the graphics card f'ed up the comp (and caused the crash) was due to the interraction between it and the comp. Comp would freeze and sound would loop. this was the case in high spec graphic games and wasn't sorted by nvidia until the v. 8*.** version of drivers, the version mentioned in the link is version 78.01, the latest version is 81.94 for the 7800 GTX and 81.95 for the rest. Installing the latest nvidia driver resolved the crashing prob. try the latest driver, honestly i'm sure it's not the game in this case.
RDST

Post by RDST »

KonKushn wrote:What kind of framerate problems are you seeing? I haven't seen any at all. Liquid smooth.

You will run into framerate problems if you have your video settings set too high, have too little memory, have a severely underpowered CPU, or if the server you are playing on has its bandwidth settings set incorrectly. Your ping to servers is also a factor.
Not sure why I get low fps I have a pentium 2.8, gforce fx 5200, and a gig of RAM. I have my settings at medium without bloom. However even if I set all the settings to low I get around 25 fps on most maps (not ones with lots of foliage) I can play at about 30 fps but anything below that is just unplayable. Ive but BFII on my shelve until it is either fixed or somethin :? .
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

CarbineImpulse wrote:Reading that I had similar problems, I was also occasionally getting an nv4_disp error. The reason the graphics card f'ed up the comp (and caused the crash) was due to the interraction between it and the comp. Comp would freeze and sound would loop. this was the case in high spec graphic games and wasn't sorted by nvidia until the v. 8*.** version of drivers, the version mentioned in the link is version 78.01, the latest version is 81.94 for the 7800 GTX and 81.95 for the rest. Installing the latest nvidia driver resolved the crashing prob. try the latest driver, honestly i'm sure it's not the game in this case.
It didn't help me whatsoever. That's why I'm relying on the patch to fix this problem.
KonKushn

Post by KonKushn »

I feel your pain...

I haven't been given a list of all the fixes, but I know that they are aware of the dual core issue, the sound issue and the Nvidia issue (which should be solved with the latest drivers).

RDST, sorry to hear you are having bad performance problems. :(
RDST

Post by RDST »

Nvidia drivers stink. And I guess its one thing to have preformance issues than to be unplayable at all :? stupid Pandemic. Oh well Half Life 2 is calling my name instead.
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Well, that's a relief. As long as they know of the problems, they should be trying to fix it. Otherwise, it just wouldn't be fair to everyone who is having the problem not to get a fix for it, even when Lucasarts is aware of all the problems with the game.

I think the main reason it's so full of bugs and glitches is because it may have been rushed so as to release it on November 1st. Which means they never thoroughly tested it to make sure crashes like this wouldn't happen. I would've expected better from Lucasarts... but it's too late now, I guess. The least they could do now is give us a patch to solve the problem. Hell, just two minutes ago my computer crashed while playing Utapau... Utapau and Space Kashyyyk seem to be the worst ones; those are the two I crash the most on. Almost everytime I play Utapau, BAM! Crash.
KonKushn

Post by KonKushn »

Yeah, unfortunately for Pandemic, LucasArts marketing set the release date. We all know how that works out in the end. Pandemic however did a monumental task. They built version 1 of SWBF2 in less than a year. That is amazing.

Once, these bugs are fixed we will all be happy campers.

BTW, I am testing the latest build of the server manager and it is running flawlessly. :)
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Speaking of campers, any word on a prone feature making it into the game? I was hoping they would add it in a patch, since it's probably one of the most important features needed for some good sniping. BF1 was cool, because you could crawl right behind enemy lines without them seeing you, and then snipe away. It helped you remain undetected. I don't see why they took it out, however...

But they should maybe focus on fixing all the bugs and stuff first, before going and adding on to the game itself. Once they fix all the crashes people are having, then they can move on to some stuff like a Bespin/Rhen Var/Whatever map, prone feature, etc.
KonKushn

Post by KonKushn »

Yes, they told me that they are really only focusing on the technical issues. Beyond that, I am not sure what will be in the patch, but I was told not to expect any new content or in-game features. We'll have to wait and see. :)