Minecraft

Everything not related to modding Minecraft goes here. Share pictures and movies of your building progress, share access to the best Minecraft servers and helpful hints and usage related to the game.

Moderator: Moderators

Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Minecraft

Post by Caleb1117 »

Minecraft is a in-development Indie game, created by Notch, I.e. Markus Persson.

In the games online "Creative mode" Players can use a wide assortment of basic blocks to construct anything you can imagine. The blocks, representing various materials, such as dirt, rock, cobblestone, cloth, bushes, logs, planks, brick, iron, glass, ect, can be combined in limitless ways to make anything and everything. From MASSIVE pixel artistry to real structures and items.
Hidden/Spoiler:
While the free creative mode is enjoyable, the real action is in the games Survival Alpha gameplay.

The Constantly updated and expanded Alpha game will set you back 10 Euros, Or about 14$. Every day it is updated and improved with some new feature or bug fix. Soon Notch will even be implementing Multiplayer for this Survival game mode. On Fridays, He adds new "Secret" features, leaving hints, while the community rushes to discover what's new. And this last week he released an offline client for playing the game on your desktop.

So what's the Alpha gameplay about? Well, your player starts in a randomly generated world, that is 2X large than the surface area of planet earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NszGurDU ... r_embedded
Flyover of a typical - Alpha mode map

From there, you do what you want. Fashion crude tools from wood, to facilitate your ability to mine. Create a castle from excavated stone, live deep underground with the flows of lava and veins of Diamond. Or travel from continent to continent, fighting mobs of terrible monsters. Herd pigs and sheep, go spelunking in vast cave systems, or build a massive underground city. Or one that hangs in the sky, whichever you prefer really.

In Alpha survival you craft tools and items that allow you the cut trees, mine ore, dig holes, Fight monsters, and till earth for farming. Bows and arrows to defend your home, TNT, for quick mining, doors to keep the creatures out, chests to hold your treasure, Art to adorn your walls, signs for posting information, ladders to climb and descend, flint and steel to set fires, saddles for riding pigs, forges to smelt ores. Create miles of track and ride mine-carts through your cave systems or over land, down mountain slopes to the sea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtlhZJi09TQ
Mine cart video
And torches to light your way in dark places.

One of the new updates added Items that allow for complex traps, with the use of "wires", levers, switches, buttons, pressure plates and more. Allowing you to open and close doors at a distance, lock monsters in traps, change track direction, and detonate TNT at a distance.

Using tools such as these, players have created infinitely looping roller coasters, Rock generating machines, complex traps for catching and killing livestock and monsters, and even basic computers and Logic Gates. But what Minecraft is really about, is building and exploring. The possibilities are nigh upon endless, limited only my your intelligence and creativity and perhaps persistence.

Check it out.
http://minecraft.net/
lesovikk1
Captain
Captain
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Re: Minecraft

Post by lesovikk1 »

wow this sounds and looks epic. Might try it out
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

Aw crud. Another reason to waste 15 bucks... :|
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: None because BFII is not working
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by General_Nate »

Darn it! 15 bucks? *sigh* If you didn't have to pay, I'd play this most of the day. :shock:
lesovikk1
Captain
Captain

Post by lesovikk1 »

you have to pay? :S

I cant, Iv just paid £700 ($1400) for a new computer so im broke xD
Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar

Post by Caleb1117 »

Even if you can't pay now, or never have intention to, the single and multiplayer creative mode is alot of fun in itself.
SilvaDalek
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny and FIFA
xbox live or psn: TH3 R0LL3R

Post by SilvaDalek »

I realize this is a pretty big bump, but I figure it's better than making a new topic...

Minecraft Alpha is only going to be around for a few more days, after which it goes into the Beta. If you purchase the game before it goes into the Beta stage you get all future updates for free, and it's discounted until then too.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Woah! I wasn't aware of this thread, despite my MASSIVE recent Minecraft addiction...

Oh, and some clarification on the Beta if you were on the fence. It's bringing some non-intrusive narrative, and Notch is promising more meaningful updates, less frequently. He's also going to be adding better game/other software connection for people that used third party software.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

^ A common reaction. Yes, it looks like that. I don't know if you're on glue. That's the charm of the game. Once you start playing it, it disproves the whole "graphical superiority=better game" thing, and renders Crysis a complete mess. :P
If you're the kind of person who looks at LEGO models, and you see the stubs and edges and think DO NOT WANT, this game is not for you. Most people get over the style pretty quickly, and I've come to enjoy and respect it. It's quite charming. And the game, despite it's unrealisticness, is probably one of the scariest games I've played, because at night, everything becomes shrouded in darkness, and the mix of sounds, darkness, and fear for the land and things you've created makes for quite a scary experience. It's a game that should not be dismissed for it's looks.
SilvaDalek
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny and FIFA
xbox live or psn: TH3 R0LL3R

Post by SilvaDalek »

guru wrote:Is it because I'm on an iPad or are those graphics as bad as 1980 but worse? Plz tell me im on glue here. Even with endless free play i can't see hurting my eyes a looking at this pixel poo. Tell me once it's beta you need an uber vid card and it looks like oblivion?!
Yeah, I initially felt like this, but after hearing about it from some friends I had to look into it. You can basically do anything in this game. I mean, after getting owned the first few nights I finally got my house in the sky working, with a huge whirlpool below it so all the mobs got owned. This game falls into at least like 20 genres because there is so much to do. You can like make freaking computers!

The gameplay more than compensates for the graphics. I've had sooooo much fun in just one day killing stuff, farming, building, mining, terraforming, and just exploring.

Best $15 game ever.

@Grev - is it normal to get lost in your own mine several times on the same trip?
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by 501st_commander »

I may be hosting a MCLawl (classic) server saturday night. Anyone want to join?

All Gametoast users will get AdvBuilder instantly
GT staff will get OP instantly
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

SilvaDalek wrote:
@Grev - is it normal to get lost in your own mine several times on the same trip?
I actually haven't stumbled across any really expansive caves yet. :( I have a mineshaft, but it just goes way down, not to the sides. I may make a video, maybe a short Let's Play.
501st_commander wrote:I may be hosting a MCLawl (classic) server saturday night. Anyone want to join?

All Gametoast users will get AdvBuilder instantly
GT staff will get OP instantly
I might. I don't know if I can play classic after the alpha. Or with survival to play. :P But if you get it up, tell me.
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

the MCLawl server almost acts like alpha. There are zombies and creepers, tnt that explode, active water, finite water, etc. Also, it has multi-world support, commands and custom commands. If you want to read more about it, look here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/MCLawl
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

501st_commander wrote:the MCLawl server almost acts like alpha. There are zombies and creepers, tnt that explode, active water, finite water, etc. Also, it has multi-world support, commands and custom commands. If you want to read more about it, look here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/MCLawl
Sounds sick! If you put that up, I might join.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

I moved to a less secure pc and it loaded up..I'm registered and after playing literally all night all I can say is is very ugly but with multiplayer and the right friends freebuild with people flying all around is awesome. Alpha seems ok but mobs throwing rocks at me and me not finding any tools fir an hour was silly.

I was thinking about a permanent server that would be gt star wars land. We could build a massive world together without griefers

Gtguru in game
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

guru wrote:I was thinking about a permanent server that would be gt star wars land. We could build a massive world together without griefers
if you could do that... i would LOVE IT only if its mclawl powerd.. all otehr servers suck
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

I've been running an Alpha server for me and some friends, and I've been using a server plugin called hMod. It's pretty good for administration, and it's got some cool other features. I'd personally recommend that for a server, but people can have different preferences. Anyway, I'd be up for a GT server. Would be fun.
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Fingerfood wrote:I've been running an Alpha server for me and some friends, and I've been using a server plugin called hMod. It's pretty good for administration, and it's got some cool other features. I'd personally recommend that for a server, but people can have different preferences. Anyway, I'd be up for a GT server. Would be fun.
thats an Alpha server though. I think guru is taking about a Classic server.

whoever whats to join my server, please PM me with your Minecraft username, so i can set the player count. I want a PM so i can send back a link Saturday, because its a private server; so no one can lie about being someone they aren't and grief the hell out of the place.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

guru wrote:I moved to a less secure pc and it loaded up..I'm registered and after playing literally all night all I can say is is very ugly but with multiplayer and the right friends freebuild with people flying all around is awesome. Alpha seems ok but mobs throwing rocks at me and me not finding any tools fir an hour was silly.

I was thinking about a permanent server that would be gt star wars land. We could build a massive world together without griefers

Gtguru in game
Lol, you gotta build tools. :P
conqerer2
Private Recruit
Projects :: Blah.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft - woooooot

Post by conqerer2 »

I love this game. Also, slight error. The game generates to 8 times the surface of the Earth, not 2, and it generates as you explore, which is called procedural generation. This prevents the game from taking up gigs of room when you've just started the game, and keeps you from dealing with generation times seen in dwarf fortress. I've found a massive cave a few blocks from where I spawned, and it has been a treasure trove. without diamonds. Aww. and minecraftwiki.net should be visited for every crafting recipe ever. whoop.

Do not read below this line if the mere sight of the words 'Inventory Editor' sends you into wrathful God mode.

I highly recommend Invedit. Not for starting players, not for people who want to cheat at playing the game, but maybe for those who have expanded their base as far as they want to, or, say, want to build scenic passages through the Nether, it's great. And if the game kills you with a bug, (Zombies beating you into a wall and suffocating you) I feel justified in using it.

And yes, hitting trees is important. Plant saplings, save the world.