Tutorial: Localize Tool

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

battlwfrontfreak

Post by battlwfrontfreak »

if this is for SWBF2....whould following the last step on IG-88 when naming him. chould i change a pre-made trooper like the clone commander or, rep_inf_ep3officer ?
Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Hebes24 »

Yes, you could.
Shadow Of Zarmoz

Re: Tutorial: Localize Tool (FAQ)

Post by Shadow Of Zarmoz »

Where shall i put the Language files? in my Star wars battlefront folder?
cuz when i have fixed their names (Scout Trooper= Special Trooper)
(Jet Trooper=Sky Commander) Nothing Happens... their names are not changed...

:maulsaber:
Taivyx
2008 Best Games Related Avatar
Projects :: Terra Strife - discontinued
Games I'm Playing :: none

Post by Taivyx »

Can anyone tell me what exactly I'm doing wrong or not doing? I've got a custom side named TSS with some custom units in it.
So I've got this kind of setup, and when I munge (checking the Localize box), nothing happens, the names of the units are still the same random string of characters and the weapons the names of the odf's.

Am I supposed to move any files around or something?
BTW it's only my units and weapons that are having this problem, the rest of my localizations work, like the side names and kill messages (also, I'm using this for SWBF2)
MasterFang1
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MasterFang1 »

Everything looks right to me...but one thing I noticed is that you put the name again under Comments. I'm pretty sure my names got localized without me typing the name in again under comments.
jedikiller32
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by jedikiller32 »

It looks like it should work, but since it isn't you might want to try renaming your stuff to the standard format (eg. tss_weap_inf_******* or tss_inf_*********).

Are your ODF names the same as what's listed up at the top? Eg. is your AK47's odf just AK47.odf or is it tss_weap_AK47.odf?

That's all I can think of right now...
Taivyx

Post by Taivyx »

It's just AK47.odf, standard format shouldn't matter either, after all, it's just the name of the file

Any other ideas? It's all that's keeping me from releasing a sides beta... :| and I really would like to before school starts in a week
Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Hebes24 »

Are all the cases correct? Did you try Cleaning/Manual Clean and Re-munge?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Taivyx wrote:It's just AK47.odf, standard format shouldn't matter either, after all, it's just the name of the file
It does matter, because your localize tool is trying to give a name to TSS_weap_AK47.odf. Those localization scopes before the key "AK47" matter too. You can localize just "AK47.odf," but you'd have to put that key directly under weapons. Everything under weapons is a combination of keys and scopes that represent the actual .odf name.

And while you can name your stuff whatever you want, it's a lot cleaner and smarter to just have things organized.

Edit: And looking at it, your sides are calling for "TSS_all_inf_rifleman.odf." Make sure you look at how the regular localizations are set up to see how to use the tool correctly. When in doubt, see how the developers did it in the first place and copy them.
Taivyx

Post by Taivyx »

Ah, I didn't know it worked like that, thanks! :D
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: AotC DoW+++Boonta Eve Classic
Games I'm Playing :: WoT MBWBVC Robocraft

Post by Jaspo »

*bump* OW! :cry:

This FAQ topic is really missing some rather vital information (this is info for SWBF2, btw):

-first of all, the tool being discussed here can be opened by double clicking the "editlocalize.bat" file in your data_*** folder.

-second, cheats can be entered by clicking down where it says battlefront II in the menu background (lower left) and then typing. Play it again, Han, eh what?

-third, lets say you want change the names of units on a custom side. Ok, click on entity. now go up to the menu where it says "keys". find and click on "add scope". name this the name of your custom side. Now, as has been discussed above, your units do need to be named using the correct nomenclature, which can be readily observed in the existing units. So, for example, I have a side called sda, and my units are sda_inf_engineer, sda_inf_officer, and sda_inf_bothan. Now click on your side, which should now be in the entity list along with all the other sides, and go up to "keys" again and select "add key". Now name these your unit names. BUT WAIT! There is some evil trickery going on here. You must leave off the part of the name that is your side's name, in my case, the "sda_" part. So in my case, the three unit keys I add are inf_engineer, inf_officer, and inf_bothan. There. Now it should work. Unless...

-...fourth, in my case anyway, this program takes A VERY LONG TIME to save your changes. please do not exit/force quit the program while it is doing this, I know it says it isn't responding, it's lying, just like ZeroEdit does when you give it a big map to load. Not letting it save correctly will give you the problem mentioned in a post above, where the name of your map is some obscure thing with lots of %%%%%s in it and by golly, when you play it everything is labeled "all_weap_fusioncutter" and such instead of "fusion cutter", and then when you go back and try to edit your localization the program crashes--in other words, you corrupted the whole thing so the game can't load it and you'll have to replace your localize folder (found in data_***/common) with one from a different map, and then you'll have to change your map name and description to be correct, and in every language nonetheless...been there, done that, in other words.

-and fifth, make sure to munge after all this, with the localize box selected. :thumbs:
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Jaspo wrote:-third, lets say you want change the names of units on a custom side. Ok, click on entity. now go up to the menu where it says "keys". find and click on "add scope". name this the name of your custom side. Now, as has been discussed above, your units do need to be named using the correct nomenclature, which can be readily observed in the existing units. So, for example, I have a side called sda, and my units are sda_inf_engineer, sda_inf_officer, and sda_inf_bothan. Now click on your side, which should now be in the entity list along with all the other sides, and go up to "keys" again and select "add key". Now name these your unit names. BUT WAIT! There is some evil trickery going on here. You must leave off the part of the name that is your side's name, in my case, the "sda_" part. So in my case, the three unit keys I add are inf_engineer, inf_officer, and inf_bothan. There. Now it should work. Unless...
Your side name doesn't matter and has nothing to do with the localization of your unit, your unit's ODF name is what matters, the game will find your unit and give it the name you typed in the localize tool.

If you have a unit named "gametoast" ingame but not yet localized in a side named "xyz" and you want the ingame name of the unit to be "Filetoast", all you would need to do is launch editlocalize.bat from data_ABC then find and right click on entity and select "Add Key" then type:
gametoast
and press enter, then left click on your new key(gametoast) then type:
Filetoast
under entity.gametoast (repeat for other languages as well)
Save the changes(this may take a few seconds) and close editlocalize then munge with the default checkbox options ticked(Common).
You're done, go play!
newguy99
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by newguy99 »

I've been trying to follow this tread, but I can't quite understand all of it? Does anyone know of a good tutorial about localization to help me get the basics?
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: AotC DoW+++Boonta Eve Classic
Games I'm Playing :: WoT MBWBVC Robocraft

Post by Jaspo »

Ah, I see I was unclear. I meant that the key has to be named correctly. As for the localization names, well, I have Rebel Smuggler, Bothan Spy, and Bothan Scout, and then I had to copy over all the names in the languages I don't know from other units--for the bothan scout I looked at the word for scout trooper and "de-imped" and "bothanized" it.

As for tutorials, well, my post above includes everything that I needed to figure out to get localization to work, so I'm not sure what else you would need, unless you don't have an operational custom side to work with yet.
Davyjones274
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Davyjones274 »

My editlocalize tool doesn't have those things at all, mine is weird and has "cheats, common, entity, game, gamespy, ifs". I have tried to change the names around but nothing is different in-game.
Ty294
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: Various

Post by Ty294 »

You don't change the "Entity" "Common" "Level" ext. If you look, right next to them is a little "+". Click that and it will bring up more words to click. Some are "Scopes" that have more "+"s on them, whilst others are "Keys" which will allow you change the in-game wording.
Davyjones274
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Davyjones274 »

Oh ok, yeah I got it to work (turns out I was munging "Localize" instead of "Common", I feel dumb now)
anakinfang
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: all star wars batman
xbox live or psn: not setting

Re: Tutorial: Localize Tool

Post by anakinfang »

how do you rename the map name because i named my map alzoc LLL but it was supposed to be alzoc 3, how do i do that.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

From memory, the key directory is level.ABC.name
anakinfang
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: all star wars batman
xbox live or psn: not setting

Post by anakinfang »

my level name is afw, sorry i was meant how do i rename the instant action name. i cannot find it.