Minecraft

Everything not related to modding Minecraft goes here. Share pictures and movies of your building progress, share access to the best Minecraft servers and helpful hints and usage related to the game.

Moderator: Moderators

Thire
Major
Major
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Minecraft

Post by Thire »

I've been working on something pretty sweet. Through the random level generation, I found a large valley not far off from my spawn. I've been working with that and I've created a giant bowl/fortress. It's pretty awesome because each cliff has a waterfall coming off of it and into a large pond in the middle. When I'm done I'll make a video to show it, and post it here.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

I'm back. I haven't read all, but it looks like Minecraft is quite popular here. Haha. I too enjoy it. Can someone summaries what's going on?
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Thire wrote:I've been working on something pretty sweet. Through the random level generation, I found a large valley not far off from my spawn. I've been working with that and I've created a giant bowl/fortress. It's pretty awesome because each cliff has a waterfall coming off of it and into a large pond in the middle. When I'm done I'll make a video to show it, and post it here.
Reminds me of my landscaping adventures. Just recently I connected my home to an outpost nearby via my "man cave".
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Lol, sounds awesome. Post pics you guys, I, and I assume everyone, would be interested in seeing the GT community creations.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

While I don't play Minecraft, myself, and I haven't really looked through this topic, I thought you guys might like this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... -Minecraft
Warning: This video review is mainly British humor, and is rather raunchy and not the most appropriate review for children.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

I've been thinking about buying a server.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

They have to be bought? I did not know that.
Thire
Major
Major

Post by Thire »

Actually they don't have to be bought. You just need a dedicated PC with a decent amount of ram. You can download the server software at the bottom of the download page here. There are tons of tutorials around for doing it.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Makes sense. It'd be interesting to have a GT server up. Maybe make a few videos of that.

Speaking of videos and shameless advertising, I reorganized my vids in a playlist:
LeaderGrev's Minecraft Adventures!
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

Churning it around still on Linux or windows server and costs... will update once I have all data together. I guess 4 gigs ram on 2 procs would be ok-ish. Would people want modded classic or ?If I set this up I will end up creating a gametoast minecraft site of course hehe
Thire
Major
Major

Post by Thire »

I'd vote classic because I get pissed off when I'm building something and have to stop to deal with hostile mobs. However the hostile mobs do add quite a bit of tension, which is half the appeal for lots of people.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I would do Survival, though probably on Peaceful. Classic IMO is extremely boring.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Survival no doubt. With mobs. It'd just be so much cooler- the aspect of community would be lost in classic/peaceful.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

Awww man. You guys sure you don't want to spare 20 bucks, for a pseudo-friend whom you've never met but may or may not have seen in pictures on Facebook?

Because I'm flat-busted broooooooooke...

CURSE YOU LACK OF CRYING SMILEY ON THESE BOARDS!
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

GangsterJawa wrote:CURSE YOU LACK OF CRYING SMILEY ON THESE BOARDS!
Off-topic: :cry:

Code: Select all

:cry:
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

AQT wrote:
GangsterJawa wrote:CURSE YOU LACK OF CRYING SMILEY ON THESE BOARDS!
Off-topic: :cry:

Code: Select all

:cry:
Ah. True. Don't quite know how I missed that one.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Grev wrote:Survival no doubt. With mobs. It'd just be so much cooler- the aspect of community would be lost in classic/peaceful.
In Peaceful it wouldn't. Of course, in the server I play on, everyone knows each other and everyone is an admin/op.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
Grev wrote:Survival no doubt. With mobs. It'd just be so much cooler- the aspect of community would be lost in classic/peaceful.
In Peaceful it wouldn't. Of course, in the server I play on, everyone knows each other and everyone is an admin/op.
It would be. We'd build stuff, but there would be no thrill in the exploration. Perhaps as a community we could build something, but an aspect of adventure and thrill would be lost. Exploring caves as a group would be a bore. Imagine: you're exploring an enormous cave with some GT bros, and you find diamond. Would it be cooler to:
a) just mine it (hint: mad boring)

b) battle the spawn of the deep to with your friends to reap the rewards of the underground (hint: mad legit)
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Grev wrote:
Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
It would be. We'd build stuff, but there would be no thrill in the exploration. Perhaps as a community we could build something, but an aspect of adventure and thrill would be lost. Exploring caves as a group would be a bore. Imagine: you're exploring an enormous cave with some GT bros, and you find diamond. Would it be cooler to:

b) battle the spawn of the deep to with your friends to reap the rewards of the underground (hint: mad legit)
Well, IMO building is the best part of Minecraft. Online with my friends, nobody every actually searches for materials, we all just use the /give command and just screw around, trying to lure each other into traps, or trying to build the awesomest house, or just travel looking for an awesome place to create a huge explosion to make room to build a massive house under-the-radar, then upon finishing it, creating a stargate to link it to the rest of the world. Cuz our server has Stargates.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
Grev wrote:
Fluffy_the_ic wrote:

Well, IMO building is the best part of Minecraft. Online with my friends, nobody every actually searches for materials, we all just use the /give command and just screw around, trying to lure each other into traps, or trying to build the awesomest house, or just travel looking for an awesome place to create a huge explosion to make room to build a massive house under-the-radar, then upon finishing it, creating a stargate to link it to the rest of the world. Cuz our server has Stargates.
I used to do that with my friends in Classic. We were justice mete-ing builders in the Freebuild.net server. Then my friends and I bought survival, and we forgot all that.