Grand Theft Auto V

Want to share hints on the best games you've downloaded? New demo we all need to see? Find other xbox players here, share ideas on everything Xbox live related!

Moderator: Moderators

Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Games I'm Playing :: STALKER - TDU2

Grand Theft Auto V

Post by Lozza »

I almost crapped my pants when I heard they were making GTA V. It has been pronounced that it is in progress by rockstar games and is to fall 2012.

Just felt like posting it for the fans. If you have an response. Please post it down there. : )

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6284554.html
Last edited by Lozza on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Post by DeathRow »

Great news, but hopefully it doesn't get censored in Australia. Will be following this one closely.
Shouldn't this be in Game Discussion - Other by the way?
Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lozza »

Maybe, black ops isn't purely xbox either :yes: GTA is purely gfwl :D

Anyway, if anyone finds new intel ( :mrgreen: ) on GTA V, please post
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Meh, I'd rather be a sci-fi superhero than some big-time criminal depicted as a hero.

Yeah, I went there. :P
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Teancum wrote:Meh, I'd rather be a sci-fi superhero than some big-time criminal depicted as a hero.

Yeah, I went there. :P
I mostly agree with that, and I do find plenty of things in the GTA games distasteful, but I can't deny that they are just fun games. If you can get past having to steal things, it's a lot of fun to get a nice car and go cruising around the city, especially in GTA IV, since there are so many nooks and crannies to explore. It's also fun to cause general mayhem. :P
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

True, but I can go cruise around a city in Burnout Paradise without having to carjack someone or run over a prostitute. It just doesn't justify it for me, especially since for "cruising" there are a lot better looking and more fun games.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Teancum wrote:True, but I can go cruise around a city in Burnout Paradise without having to carjack someone or run over a prostitute. It just doesn't justify it for me, especially since for "cruising" there are a lot better looking and more fun games.
^This. This is why I've never enjoyed this series. Doesn't promote anything good. If you want to cruise around in a nice car (without having to steal it) then go play the Need 4 Speed series or Forza or whatever. Sure NFS promotes high speeds and avoiding cops but its still a lot better then GTA.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

While I largely don't like Rockstar games, the world is incredibly fun to explore, and I hear an interesting story is usually offered. Personally though, I'd rather play Just Cause 2.
Thire
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Thire »

I dig the series. I'm the kind of guy who likes to feel really immersed in whatever game I'm playing, and GTA (IMO) does a good job of that.

Although I'm curious where you heard this about GTA V...
Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lozza »

To be honest, GTA is the worst game I've played in terms of violence, but its the best game I've ever played. Its just fun to explore (easter eggs and rare vehicles), I don't kill random pedestrians, I steals cars and do stunts, and steal military choppers. Right now I play online with my mates, and we parachute off buildings together :mrgreen: If you don't like gta, I understand, (my mum hates the game to haha) but if you have the ability to know that killing random people is not cool. Then your fine :D
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Nova Hawk wrote:
Teancum wrote:True, but I can go cruise around a city in Burnout Paradise without having to carjack someone or run over a prostitute. It just doesn't justify it for me, especially since for "cruising" there are a lot better looking and more fun games.
^This. This is why I've never enjoyed this series. Doesn't promote anything good. If you want to cruise around in a nice car (without having to steal it) then go play the Need 4 Speed series or Forza or whatever. Sure NFS promotes high speeds and avoiding cops but its still a lot better then GTA.
I Concur with both of you :plokoon:
The violence in GTA is senseless, with no real purpose. Your not rescuing a princess, or saving the galaxy.
THEWULFMAN does not approve :plokoon:
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Your not rescuing a princess, or saving the galaxy.
Lol, I would like the first option. :funny2:
Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lozza »

The violence in GTA is senseless, with no real purpose.
You need to remember that call of duty is senseless (and everybody loves cod.), some russians vs americans just blowing the **** out of each other.... Battlefront... 2 sides just killing each other for victory. Every game has no real 'purpose'.

Either Sci-Fi or Criminal. They are both fighting for no reason at all.

The only way to win battlefront is to get the most kills and annihilate the enemy. There is no other purpose in battlefront either.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

That's an overjustification. One is a group fighting for what they believe is right, the other is fighting because they're an outright criminal.

Nice try.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Teancum wrote:That's an overjustification. One is a group fighting for what they believe is right, the other is fighting because they're an outright criminal.

Nice try.
How can you argue that the criminal isn't fighting for what he believes is right? Selective justification, breh.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

So you're telling me Niko Bellic fights for what he believes is right and good eh? Wow, nice argument.

Criminals by their nature fight for power, chaos and wealth. That's why I have issue playing as the criminal. In the vein of Star Wars, Call of Duty, etc the "criminal" is a matter of perspective. When you're gunning down cops, driving over pedestrians and making mob hits it's blatantly obvious the character is a criminal, no matter how someone tries to justify it.

I have a big problem with games like this, which is why I stopped playing them. I'm not going to say GTA makes kids shoot each other (unless that kid is already unstable), but it does change their perspective. Kids too young to understand start to idolize criminal life, kids old enough to understand still get desensitized.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Not to turn this entire thread into a debate over the worth of the series, but I think Grev's argument actually applies very well to GTA IV. I can't speak for other games in the series since I haven't played through them, but the story of GTA IV does a reasonably good job of avoiding an over-glorification of crime - Niko Bellic comes to the U.S. to get away from a violent past and make a better life for himself. Unfortunately, he gets dragged back into the criminal world, but within the story he is a fairly moralistic person and does try to do what is right. Now, what the player does out of the story can still be pretty nasty, and the story does require the player to do some distasteful things, but for the most part I think Teancum's argument of
So you're telling me Niko Bellic fights for what he believes is right and good eh? Wow, nice argument.

Criminals by their nature fight for power, chaos and wealth. That's why I have issue playing as the criminal. In the vein of Star Wars, Call of Duty, etc the "criminal" is a matter of perspective. When you're gunning down cops, driving over pedestrians and making mob hits it's blatantly obvious the character is a criminal, no matter how someone tries to justify it.
isn't entirely accurate.

That said, I don't think kids should be getting their hands on the GTA games, because Teancum is completely right when he says that kids will have their perspective changed by the games. They may not go out and steal cars and kill people for fun, but they may be subtly influenced and be encouraged to get involved with things they shouldn't (e.g. drugs and guns).
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Yeah, I think it best if I bow out. Clearly I'm being consumed by my hatred for the games and I don't want to turn to the dark side.

.... yet.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Teancum wrote:So you're telling me Niko Bellic fights for what he believes is right and good eh? Wow, nice argument.

I have a big problem with games like this, which is why I stopped playing them. I'm not going to say GTA makes kids shoot each other (unless that kid is already unstable), but it does change their perspective. Kids too young to understand start to idolize criminal life, kids old enough to understand still get desensitized.
That's quite a generalization. Although I'm sure many criminals understand that they are not doing what is right, I'm sure the opposite could be argued. Likewise, "right," in the case of criminals, requires definition.

My objection was mostly to what you said in terms of "what is right." I largely don't like the saga for it's gratuitous violence. How can a war game with abundant killing and shooting be "right" if put in the same context as criminals?
Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lozza »

Ohk... This shouldn't be an argument.

ENDING.

You obviously havent played GTA 4 with great understanding. Niko is forced to work with the criminals because of the loan sharks trying to kill his cousin. The only people that know where Nikos person is (he wants to find a man that betrayed him in the army in the past) are criminals... There for he must work for them to get information. And lastly. GTA can be a violent game if you want it to be, it can also be a non-violent game if you want it to be. Battlefront can not choose this option.

ALL GAMES ARE KILLING. ALL GAMES ARE VIOLENT. THATS WHY WE PLAY THEM. BECAUSE WE KNOW YOU CANT DO IT IN REAL LIFE.

EDIT: If you never liked gta. This trailer for GTA 4 will make you buy it. It made me buy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evM8Dlssf2A