Halo: Reach General Discussion

Want to share hints on the best games you've downloaded? New demo we all need to see? Find other xbox players here, share ideas on everything Xbox live related!

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Halo: Reach General Discussion

Post by Teancum »

The rumor that Halo HD is being developed was shot down by 343 Industries:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/29 ... d-rumours/
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I'm still hopeful. They really only said that they would keep larger projects closer to home and only give other companies little tasks in the meantime, like the Defiant Pack. Just because Saber Interactive isn't making it doesn't mean that 343i isn't, which is something they have never outright denied.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Um you guys, shouldn't this be in the Defiant Map Pack thread??
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

This is about the supposed Halo CE remake, so I really don't see why.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Reach is coming to Games On Demand on March 15. Looks like its time to trade my disc in. I'll gladly pay the $59.99 to not have to hide my discs from my 19 month old daughter.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2011/03/ ... third.aspx
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Yessss... I mean, that's useless for me personally, but I have a bunch of friends who buy games on demand in a heartbeat, so I might have a bunch of friends with Reach soon! :D
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

My friends that went to PAX East got me a code for Defiant. Unearthed is seriously the best Firefight map currently in the game, as it's the only one where vehicle combat is even possible. Also, the on-foot portions of the map are really good for Firefight, almost like if Holdout was a better map.

The two multiplayer ones look really good, but I only got to play with two other players, so I don't know how they really work.
Thire
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Thire »

I just got a code for following the right people on Twitter. If anyone has any questions about the map pack I can probably answer them for you.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Someone let me know what they think of the new map pack -- and what the forge abilities are like.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

The two multiplayer maps feel very much like Halo 2, Unearthed is a lot like an ODST Firefight map. There are absolutely no Forge capabilities with the maps other than weapon, crate, and vehicle placements. They aren't Sandbox, Foundry, or Forge World, I'll put it that way.

Highlands has a Terminal feel to it, a mixture of grassy land with a lot of buildings where vehicles spawn. Size-wise, it's about the average between Boardwalk and Hemorrhage, possibly the size of Valhalla from Halo 3. There aren't any tanks or aerial vehicles, just the normal vehicle set (Warthog x2, Mongoose x4, Ghost x2) so at least people won't be able to boost using cheap Banshee Dancing tactics. The outer parts of the map are very lowrez, but as this is Certain Affinity's first map since Halo 2 I don't really blame them, but it would be nice if in the future they used the same tree models and not early Xbox "+ from above" trees.

Condemned also feels like a Halo 2 map, none in particular, but has that feel. It has a resemblance to Orbital, but it's more like a circle where you can cut through the center's low gravity area. 4v4 on the map would probably only be fun if you were using the new Classic settings, but for normal Reach settings I'd say it's a pretty good 6v6 map. There are no vehicles, but there are plenty of power weapons (Shotgun, Sword, Sniper x2, Rocket Launcher). Visuals are amazing, but one thing that bothers me is the fact that they screwed up and put Reach's ringed moon in the skybox twice. Also, if you actually looked at the map the ringed structure is much more damaged than the hologram in the communications room says it is, as there are two points that are completely ripped off. Of course, that may just be because of the whole, "we couldn't decide what kind of skybox we wanted so here's two completely different ones," thing they did.

Unearthed is really big for a Reach Firefight map, probably the size of Beachhead or Glacier, but despite that there's absolutely no framerate lag. At some points the AI will just get so aggressive they'll follow you all at once into the back rooms when you run, which is a nice change from the combatically challenged Grunts and Elites on Corvette. Really nice vehicle map, and lots of places to make final stands that look and feel awesome.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Sounds like it can wait. So far I've been extremely disappointed in Reach's map selection. It's got 100x more potential than H3, but they haven't tapped into it yet. And I wish they'd get off this "it's gotta be set on Reach" idea. It's multiplayer, I don't care where it's set, but I want things to look unique.

***EDIT*** Reach is discounted through Games On Demand for one week starting today. It's only $10 off (49.99) but that might be enough to push it over the edge.
Nova Hawk
Banned

Post by Nova Hawk »

I'm still gonna get the map pack nonetheless cuz Condemned looks really cool regardless of what anyone says.

And btw, shouldn't this be in the Defiant Map Pack thread?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Yeah probably, but I personally (not speaking as an admin here) think a separate thread for the DLC is unnecessary when this one isn't that active.
Nova Hawk
Banned

Post by Nova Hawk »

True, but then again this topic has already reached to 33pgs and so if something really valuable that specifically relates to the Halo game itself like an update then it can be posted here but otherwise I think its wise to post it in a separate thread seeing as how this section is about XBL.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.
Labj
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Halo 4
xbox live or psn: SiulS2409

Post by Labj »

http://www.isaachannaford.com/

Jsut great stuff...
Nova Hawk
Banned

Post by Nova Hawk »

Dude, if Bungie put in that boat for the game that would have been... awesome! Too bad they had to scrap it.
Labj
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Halo 4
xbox live or psn: SiulS2409

Post by Labj »

Scroll down and click Older Posts to see more, there are some awesome helmets that bungie didnt make...
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

No it wouldn't. It would have sucked. If you had seen their tech demo vid with it, the concept was cool but it wouldn't have been fun.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Lots more cool stuff like that at the link below, along with a panel where Bungie discusses some of it.

http://www.unseen64.net/2010/09/14/halo ... -360-beta/