3DS gets HUGE price cut, "Loyal" fans get 20 free games

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

3DS gets HUGE price cut, "Loyal" fans get 20 free games

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Article below, but here's a short summary:
Starting August 12, the 3DS will drop from $250 to $170 USD (For our Austrailian friends, it's going from $350 AUD to $250 AUD), Nintendo's biggest and most sudden price cut ever.
"But what about the 830,000 of us who already own a Nintendo 3DS?"
We get 20 free games. 10 NES games and 10 GameBoy Advance games. And not sissy games, either. Games like the original Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong Jr., and Ice Climber for the NES, and Super Mario Advnace 2, Metroid: Fusion, and Warioware, Inc for the GameBoy Advance.

Sounds like a win-win for everyone!

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/nintendo3ds/news/
Wii
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo DS
Games
Club Nintendo
Support

Great Price, Great Games

An exciting message for people who own a Nintendo 3DS and those who want to:

Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™ system to $169.99 in the United States. The new price takes effect Aug. 12 and makes an outstanding value even better.

Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar for Nintendo 3DS is a Who's Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season.

And don't forget that Nintendo 3DS has a bunch of fun features, including Nintendo Video™, the Nintendo eShop and access to Netflix, that make it a must-have video game system.

But what about the 830,000 of you who already own a Nintendo 3DS? You're some of Nintendo's most loyal customers, and we're rewarding you for getting in on the action early with not one, not 10, but 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop! Here's how it works:

The 20 free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

1. Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.

2. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

It's a great time to own a Nintendo 3DS!

--Your Friends at Nintendo of America
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: 3DS gets HUGE price cut, "Loyal" fans get 20 free games

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Its official, I love Nintendo. This makes up for the Wii Us lousy name!
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

That's still not enough Nintendo. If you think you can just make me forget about this by throwing games at me then you're sadly mistak...
Metroid™ Fusion
All is forgiven.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Do the GBA games include the pokemon games? If so, I'll go buy a 3DS. RIGHT. NOW. Otherwise, gonna have to stick with my lite until Christmas. (not that I'm complaining, I love that thing) And since it's less than 2 hundo now, my chances of getting it have probably doubled.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

There are no current plans for the Pokemon games. Mainly because, one, there's no way to trade without some tinkering to the games' coding, two, it's likely we're getting R/S remakes soon, and three, the games are still largely available in real life, still at retail price.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

I'm actually excited for this. At first I thought, dang, I should have waited a few more weeks, but then I looked back at all the free stuff I already got from Nintendo and the list of games is fantastic. Best part we get all 20 of the games. Unlike Sony's pick 2 of 5. I'm hoping Fire Emblem or Advance Wars will be part of it too.

I do hope they do Pokemon some way, especially if they add 3d.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Fusion wrote:There are no current plans for the Pokemon games. Mainly because, one, there's no way to trade without some tinkering to the games' coding, two, it's likely we're getting R/S remakes soon, and three, the games are still largely available in real life, still at retail price.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Christmas it is. I literally don't play any nintendo handheld games except pokemon, as you may know. :P
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
Fusion wrote:There are no current plans for the Pokemon games. Mainly because, one, there's no way to trade without some tinkering to the games' coding, two, it's likely we're getting R/S remakes soon, and three, the games are still largely available in real life, still at retail price.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Christmas it is. I literally don't play any nintendo handheld games except pokemon, as you may know. :P
Same for me. I do have other games for DS, but there's nothing brilliant enough on 3DS to justify me buying one right now.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

I didn't think I was going to get the 3DS, but after hearing this the other day I'm really considering it. Probably not until Christmas though, unless I end up getting a job. *Looks at dwindling pile of cash* :(

I'll mostly be getting it for OoT and Animal Crossing though. :P
Darth_Squoobus
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Fusion wrote:All is forgiven.
Remind me a little of Rolf there, lol.

On a more relevant note, I heard that Squeenix is considering remaking FFVI for the 3DS.
Hidden/Spoiler:
@Fingergood: Arrgh! You have a bigger troll face than me!
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

ggctuk wrote:
Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Same for me. I do have other games for DS, but there's nothing brilliant enough on 3DS to justify me buying one right now.
Inorite? I mean, I don't understand why they can't at least put FRLG and Emerald on, as they had wireless capabilities anyway.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

Hey fluffy, earth and Fingerfood, you all have 5 days to decide who gets the white face avatar and the two others can pick something else, not a huge deal but if you all gave that same face in five days I will pick your new permanent avatars.

Ps if you miss this message it's ok in five days you'll notice.
Kkthxbbye
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

guru wrote:Hey fluffy, earth and Fingerfood, you all have 5 days to decide who gets the white face avatar and the two others can pick something else, not a huge deal but if you all gave that same face in five days I will pick your new permanent avatars.

Ps if you miss this message it's ok in five days you'll notice.
Kkthxbbye
Thanks Guru.

Anyways, it's rumored that you can buy the NES games, but not GBA ones, if you're not an Ambassador.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Moving_Target wrote:Anyways, it's rumored that you can buy the NES games, but not GBA ones, if you're not an Ambassador.
Twilight_Warrior wrote:2. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.
Of course, just because they have no current plans doesn't mean they won't. Nintendo's kind of in some trouble when it comes to the 3DS, if you haven't heard. Sales haven't been half as high as they expected, so everything's kind of up in the air. I'm sure if popularity and system sales increase, the GBA virtual console games will be made available for purchase.

In other news, 2 more GBA games were confirmed for Ambassadors. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario 3 (confusing title is confusing), & Kirby And the Amazing Mirror.
But yes, like Target said, if you're not an Ambassador, there's no guarantee you'll be able to get these games for the 3DS, so you pretty much have until August 12th to buy the 3DS at full price to get these games. And if you think about it, $80 for 20 games is not a bad deal.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Alternatively, you could just go to a used game store, buy a GBA and the games you want (or just the games if you have a GBA, DS, or DSLite), but that's beside the point :P
Darth_Squoobus
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:Alternatively, you could just go to a used game store, buy a GBA and the games you want (or just the games if you have a GBA, DS, or DSLite), but that's beside the point :P
Us poor people who can't buy a 3DS before the Thingy where you get free games deal comes into place will have to do just that in addition to buying a discounted 3DS.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

Hmm, I don't know if these games are worth the 80-ish dollars, but I DO know that I totally got he better side of the deal!
(Metroid: Fusion, Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit are the ones I am looking forward to most. Also LoZ portable.)
I always wanted to borrow Metroid: Fusion from my cousin but he lost it...
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

NES Titles are up. Go to the eShop, "Settings," and scroll through "Your Downloads" until you see them. Playing Metroid 1 right now.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Fusion wrote:That's still not enough Nintendo. If you think you can just make me forget about this by throwing games at me then you're sadly mistak...
Metroid™ Fusion
All is forgiven.
Yes. This freaking game. :yes:
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

For those of you who love to screw around with the Metroid password system (such as the infamous ENGAGE RIDLEY... password) it will crash not only the game and the emulator, but the entire 3DS will hang for a bit. It's best advised you save advance glitching for the original carts or computer-based emulators.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Fusion wrote:For those of you who love to screw around with the Metroid password system (such as the infamous ENGAGE RIDLEY... password) it will crash not only the game and the emulator, but the entire 3DS will hang for a bit. It's best advised you save advance glitching for the original carts or computer-based emulators.
This statement just made me sad...