Musical Suggestion/Review Thread

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Re: Musical Suggestion/Review Thread

Post by Grev »

Cerfon Rournes wrote:
Grev wrote: It's not funk,...
You sure? I don't think so..
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="Wikipedia - Dr. Funkenstein"]"Dr. Funkenstein" is a song by the funk band Parliament...Genre: Funk, funk rock, psychedelic soul.
Wikipedia - Funk wrote:Funk de-emphasizes melody and harmony and brings a strong rhythmic groove of electric bass and drums to the foreground. Funk songs are often based on an extended vamp on a single chord, distinguishing it from R&B and soul songs, which are centered on chord progressions..... funk typically consists of a complex groove with rhythm instruments such as electric guitar, electric bass, Hammond organ, and drums playing interlocking rhythms. Funk bands sometimes have a horn section of several saxophones, trumpets, and in some cases, a trombone, which plays rhythmic "hits".
[/hide]
If you hear the song again, it has everything stated in the above. Also, my father (Who has been a musician for +40 years), can assure you that the song is funk.[/quote]
I was talking about my song being "almost" funk.
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Alright, I see what happened there. Your post was semi ambiguous when you look at it in that way, only in the fact that it looked like you were talking about my post, when you were indeed talking about yours. You might want to make that abit more clear next time. :wink:
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Cerfon Rournes wrote:Alright, I see what happened there. Your post was semi ambiguous when you look at it in that way, only in the fact that it looked like you were talking about my post, when you were indeed talking about yours. You might want to make that abit more clear next time. :wink:
Sorry about that! Your songs were indeed quite "funkalicious."
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

Grev wrote:funkalicious
That reminded of this band I recently found out about: Lefties Soul Connection. Not classic funk but pretty good revival stuff.

Also: Battles, completely unrelated (post-rock/experimental), but another band I've recently grown to liking. Might recognize them from Little Big Planet's soundtrack.
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

SBF_Dann_Boeing wrote:
Grev wrote:funkalicious
That reminded of this band I recently found out about: Lefties Soul Connection. Not classic funk but pretty good revival stuff.
Nice. :music:
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB7IAXrCkO8

This is without a doubt one of the most chill songs ever, and much of the appeal comes from it's somewhat disturbing video. In fact, while I really like the song, it's the message of the video that catches my attention. The strange dissolving monster is supposed to be a metaphor for the music industry- basically, falling apart and decrepit. I can't really tell if I agree, as I've been too busy listening to relatively obscure artists (haha - soooo hipster) to pay attention to the music industry, but from what I do hear, I kind of agree with the video. Anyone else have any strong feelings on the subject?
Wonderboy
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Making apples into applesauce
Games I'm Playing :: Age Of Empires II

Post by Wonderboy »

Grev wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB7IAXrCkO8

This is without a doubt one of the most chill songs ever, and much of the appeal comes from it's somewhat disturbing video. In fact, while I really like the song, it's the message of the video that catches my attention. The strange dissolving monster is supposed to be a metaphor for the music industry- basically, falling apart and decrepit. I can't really tell if I agree, as I've been too busy listening to relatively obscure artists (haha - soooo hipster) to pay attention to the music industry, but from what I do hear, I kind of agree with the video. Anyone else have any strong feelings on the subject?
I absolutely love MGMT. Great band.
And don't label yourself just because you like many types of music and some may be obscure. You have great taste in music. (You got me hooked on Arcade Fire)
The War On Drugs is pretty good. I find a lot of great music from World Cafe on NPR.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Wonderboy wrote: (You got me hooked on Arcade Fire).
My work here is done.
Wonderboy
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Making apples into applesauce
Games I'm Playing :: Age Of Empires II

Post by Wonderboy »

I got two indie groups.
Andrew Bird I actually saw on Nick Jr. (don't scoff) but he was amazingly good, but I recently rediscovered him.
Beirut is a new favorite, I can't believe how good they are.
I really hope someone here actually takes the time to listen to these.
willinator
Major
Major
Projects :: [Coming of the Sentinels]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft Halo
xbox live or psn: PC pwns all!

Post by willinator »

Peter Hollens: Sure, there are tons of guys who post their acapella videos, but this guy can really do it and do it well. He has won awards, gone on The Singoff, been a part of OTR, and many other notable achievements. All of his songs are available on iTunes, and I must say he is one, if not the best, singer I have ever heard (not to diss any of your guys' songs)