Lucasarts is making a First Person Shooter.

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Lucasarts is making a First Person Shooter.

Post by AQT »

If that were the case, the genre listed would have been "Flight Simulation" instead of "Aerial Combat." But we can dream.
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bob »

http://www.lucasarts.com/company/releas ... 10426.html
They allowed LucasArts to use the Unreal Engine 3. It's said to be even better than freakin' CryEngine 3. Whatever they wan't to do, the graphics will be awesome.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Post by yuke5 »

The unreal engine was used to make RC...RC with space combat? That is my dream game, but not at all what I'm expecting.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Bob wrote:http://www.lucasarts.com/company/releas ... 10426.html
They allowed LucasArts to use the Unreal Engine 3. It's said to be even better than freakin' CryEngine 3. Whatever they wan't to do, the graphics will be awesome.
I wouldn't say that. Mass effect 2 used the Unreal Engine 3, and the character models dived straight into the uncanny valley with a thud. That, and Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust, widely regarded as one of the worst games ever made, used Unreal Engine 3.
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bob »

Darth_Squoobus wrote: I wouldn't say that. Mass effect 2 used the Unreal Engine 3, and the character models dived straight into the uncanny valley with a thud. That, and Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust, widely regarded as one of the worst games ever made, used Unreal Engine 3.
The models sure are an important part of the graphics, but they don't have much to do with the engine. The engine mainly defines lightning, shadows and stuff.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:
Bob wrote:http://www.lucasarts.com/company/releas ... 10426.html
I wouldn't say that. Mass effect 2 used the Unreal Engine 3, and the character models dived straight into the uncanny valley with a thud. That, and Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust, widely regarded as one of the worst games ever made, used Unreal Engine 3.
A lot can be done with Unreal Engine 3, it's very powerful. That's probably what he means.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

That could have been more on Bioware's end with the models. Not UE3's fault.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Wait, Mass Effect's character's look bad? Do you live on the same planet as me?
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

I always thought that if my Shepard looked bad, it was my fault.

Granted it did have that wierd thing that looked almost like z-fighting on every character's face, but I haven't seen that in any ME2 youtube vids, so I'm guessing that, too, was a problem on my end.
skelltor
Sith
Sith
Projects :: BFSM
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII
xbox live or psn: skelltor95

Post by skelltor »

Teancum wrote:Wait, Mass Effect's character's look bad? Do you live on the same planet as me?
QFT
I have the 360 version but I always thought the characters looked great
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Teancum wrote:Wait, Mass Effect's character's look bad? Do you live on the same planet as me?

I concur. :plokoon:

I've only played it on a friend's 360, but they always looked fine to me. You can't blame an engine for the models a game uses, no matter how good or bad they are. People constantly mistake what a game engine actually does. An engine handles rendering (and how efficiently it renders things), any physics the game has, when sounds are played, collision detection, localization support(not the actual localization itself though), Artificial Intelligence, and support for scripting(but not actual scripts). Models, textures, shaders, sounds, and scripting is handled outside of an engine. If I'm wrong about any of this, please correct me.

Long story short, UE3 is a very powerful engine, it handles it's rendering efficiently, it has good A.I.(usually), good physics and collision detection. UE2 is what Republic Commando used, one of the best Star Wars games of all time. Mirror's Edge, and Batman: Arkham Asylum, another couple of my favorite games, used UE3.
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life

Post by DeathRow »

If this is SWBF3, I hope it isnt another Duke Nukem (wait forever, and it sucks).
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Did I ever say that? No. So there's no need to sic the mass effects fans on me by saying I think the models look bad. I said they looked creepy, not bad. I don't know how you guys weren't phased by Miranda Lawson's potato-shaped head and male Shepherd's rapish smile.
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Shepard's smile reminds me of your avatar, Squoobus. :P
I think the point here is this: The Unreal engine, when used well, can make some pretty great games.
Hidden/Spoiler:
If Lucasarts uses UE3 to it's full potential for a possible BF3, the game would be awesome.. :shock:
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:
Did I ever say that? No. So there's no need to sic the mass effects fans on me by saying I think the models look bad. I said they looked creepy, not bad. I don't know how you guys weren't phased by Miranda Lawson's potato-shaped head and male Shepherd's rapish smile.
Hey, at least they actually *have* facial expressions unlike a certain few Bethesda RPGs, if ya' catch mah drift. ;)