Spike VGAs

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Spike VGAs

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

It's that time of year again, guys. The Spike Video Game Awards are next month, and they've revealed all of their nominees. The list is, for the most part, pretty good, but they screwed up big time again, like they always do. Battlefield 3 is not a best graphics nominee, and anyone with eyes should see a problem there. Skyward Sword is also absent from best score, and that's Zelda. Other than those two problems, it's a pretty good-seeming list. Anyway, here is the page: Click!
I have my predictions here:
Hidden/Spoiler:
GotY: Portal 2 (It has the most nominations even though it's extremely overrated, Skyrim should win)
Studio: Valve (My pick is Bethesda, but Valve will win)
Best XBox: GoW3
Best PS3: Uncharted 3
Best Wii: Skyward Sword
Best PC: Probably will go to Portal 2, but I desperately want BF3 or Minecraft to win
Best Handheld: Super Mario 3D Land
Best Shooter: Battlefield 3
Best Action/Adventure: Batman: Arkham City (I hope it's Skyward Sword, but Arkham will win)
Best RPG: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Best Multiplayer: Battlefield 3 (I wish Minecraft were a Nominee, I'd vote that)
Best Individual Sports: Fight Night Champion, because it's boxing
Best Team Sports: NHL 12
Best Racing: Forza 4
Best Fighting: Mortal Kombat
Best Motion: LoZ: Skyward Sword
Best Indie: 100% Chance of Minecraft without pure hax
Best Adapted: Arkham City
Best Song: Exile Vilify from Portal 2
Best Original Score: Portal 2 (Should be between Skyward and Skyrim, but neither a nominees. Harumph.)
Best Graphics: Rage/Uncharted, the other two don't even make sense as nominees. LA Noire is not an especially good-looking game beyond the creepy mouths and AA is only Average. Should have BF3 and then GoW3 or Skyrim instead.
Best Performance from a Human Male: J.K. Simmons as Cave Johnson (Hard to choose between him and wheatley)
Best Performance from a Human Female: Tara Strong as Harley Quinn
Best Downloadable: Bastion (Where be Minecraft?)
Best DLC: Portal 2 Peer Review (I would prefer Arrival to win, but Portal 2 is Portal 2 therefore it'll win everything that other GotY nominees for this year aren't an option on)
For the last two, since our votes count, I'm saying what I voted and NOT a prediction:
Most anticipated: Mass Effect 3
Best Trailer: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
So what are your thoughts and predictions for this year's VGAs on December 10th?
Last edited by Fluffy_the_ic on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinomight
Private Recruit

Re: Spike VGAs

Post by Dinomight »

Well your being rather cynical, besides i would never describe portal 2 as garbage.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I am a rather cynical person, but I fixed my description of Portal 2, it's not garbage, per say, but it's not GotY quality for sure.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

It saddens me that Assassin's Creed: Revelations is nowhere on that list.

Anywho, I'm not a huge supporter of the VGAs. Last year's was a total disappointment, and the only reason I watched the one two years ago was for the "mysterious Star Wars game announcement" which turned out to be the biggest waste of $60 I've ever spent. It's a money-making sham by Spike hosted by celebrities who may or may not play games, or have even heard about the games they are announcing. It's mainly just advertising for the biggest budget games of the year so that more people will buy them if they haven't already.

(and yes, my opinion has been affected by Extra Credits.)
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/our-oscars
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

*Sees lacking of Deus Ex*
*Is disappoint*

Seriously though, I am kind of surprised by some of their choices. Not that I can think of better ones for all of them, but they still did surprise me.

Also, lol at MW3 being on there at all.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Being someone who has Portal 2 and Skyrim, and I love both to death. I pick Portal 2. For many reasons, yes Skyrim is awesome, but Portal 2 is pretty much flawless. Literally, very very few bugs. Skyrim has a lot of bugs, which is expected from a TES game, but some I felt are a little too big. I just came across a very fun bug I'll talk about on the Skyrim thread.

Portal 2 has a better story, hands down, and better graphics, in my opinion. Skyrim is beautiful, but man do they love their paralax. It's a little over the top at times.
Portal 2 makes me laugh, and make me gape in awe.
Skyrim makes me giggle in excitement like a little girl, but not laugh. Gaping in awe is an expected side effect.
Portal 2 has better characters. You can't beat Chell, GLaDOS, Wheatley, and Cave Johnson.

So while I love both, Portal 2 deserves to win in my humble opinion.
Fingerfood wrote:Also, lol at MW3 being on there at all.
This.
RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by RED51 »

I've learnt to just watch all the new previews and trailers at this point. The VGAs were nice at first, but now...
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

I share TW's opinion, I don't think of the VGAs as the most credible and fair award ceremony. Not really looking forward to it.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I'll watch for the trailers, nothing else. :P

Who knows, we might actually get something good this year seeing as they're not advertising any "THRILLING NEW GAME ANNOUNCEMENTS."
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:It saddens me that Assassin's Creed: Revelations is nowhere on that list.

Anywho, I'm not a huge supporter of the VGAs. Last year's was a total disappointment, and the only reason I watched the one two years ago was for the "mysterious Star Wars game announcement" which turned out to be the biggest waste of $60 I've ever spent. It's a money-making sham by Spike hosted by celebrities who may or may not play games, or have even heard about the games they are announcing. It's mainly just advertising for the biggest budget games of the year so that more people will buy them if they haven't already.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. I agree here. I care for Xplay's awards, but not much else(certainly not the VGA's). I was only stating my opinion on the Portal 2/Slyrim debate.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

I hate the VGAs. They were fine at first, but now it's just crap and they don't know how to pick nominees anyways.

Like previously stated, I watch just for trailers and announcements, which even now is pointless. Just wait til the morning and watch them on gametrailers or other gaming sites.
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DeathRow »

I want Battlefield 3 to beat MW3, but with the amount of fanboys surrounding MW3 I think it'll win whatever categories.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Five days til show time. Rumored that Half life 3 will be announced.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Moving_Target wrote:Five days til show time. Rumored that Half life 3 will be announced.
If so, it'll be some totally obscure 7 second teaser. Don't hold your breath.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Moving_Target wrote:Five days til show time. Rumored that Half life 3 will be announced.

*clears throat*

As a certified Half Life/Portal theorist, it's my opinion there will never be a Half Life 3. What I, and others of my kind believe, is that Portal and Half Life will combine into a new series with a new name(which will not have a 3rd game in the series. Remember, Valve can't count to three(HL2 Episode 3 doesn't count).

Just my two cents.

/ontopic: I'm too lazy to watch(or rather, I'm just too busy modding and finishing homework), so just tell me if anything important happens. Thanks in advance.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:It saddens me that Assassin's Creed: Revelations is nowhere on that list.
It was good, but not nomination-worthy good.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

So there's been confirmation from Frank O'Connor that there will be no Halo 4 trailer at the VGAs. Oh well.

I'm still interested to see if this is when Spark Unlimited's publisher will allow them to reveal their project that has been, "the best on all fronts." This seems like a good time to reveal whatever it is, as they were only allowed to reveal it in, "a time or place that could be close or far, far away."

Not that I'm insinuating anything there. No, seriously, it could be a complete coincidence. Don't bring any speculation in here please.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Teancum wrote:
It was good, but not nomination-worthy good.
And now that ive given it a full play through, I have to agree. Story felt rushed, even overly-simplified at times, I didn't like the atmosphere of Constantinople as much as Rome (though, I'm slightly biased towards Italy), the side-quests were lacking, and the soundtrack was less moving.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but everything you said is everything I felt. I didn't like the Tower Defense sequences either. They felt very out of place.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Grev wrote:
If so, it'll be some totally obscure 7 second teaser. Don't hold your breath.
Oh I don't doubt that and that's probably what it'll be. It might just be like Skyrim's last year. Story catch up with CGI everywhere and the first release date before valve time kicks into action. Still it's a start.