Mass Effect 3 (2012)

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dinomight
Private Recruit

Re: Mass Effect 3 (2012)

Post by Dinomight »

I would not be surprised if they intentionally wrote a bad ending so they could release DLC and monetise this to, considering how they acted with the prothean.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

@Dinomight

Except for the fact that Bioware is now losing money from this. Nowadays a lot of people such as myself wait for public opinion before I rush to buy a game, and people will be discouraged by this outcry against the ending. Also as I said before, you can return the game to retailers and get your money back, even if you played the entire game.

So I seriously doubt that it was intentionally bad so that they could monetize, and if it was it has backfired.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Keep in mind there were going to be different endings, but then there was the script leak and they rewrote them.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

@Fluffy_the_ic

I never did read that script leak, perhaps I should. Regardless, you shouldn't rewrite your endings because it was leaked. That's counter-productive, and look where it leads you.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

I heard the ends in the leaked script were worse than what we got.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I think they were supposed to be something like
Hidden/Spoiler:
the cycles happened every 50k years because the reapers were harvesting us to protect us from dark matter.
What we got is about 5x stupider than that. It's like Xzibit wrote it or something.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:I think they were supposed to be something like
Hidden/Spoiler:
the cycles happened every 50k years because the reapers were harvesting us to protect us from dark matter.
What we got is about 5x stupider than that. It's like Xzibit wrote it or something.
That's what I heard to and that was written by Drew. So it kind of says alot about Mac. The dark energy story would have been interesting, but I don't know how I feel about the Reapers doing more/being more than reaping.
The Nasal Abyss
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Post by The Nasal Abyss »

Nobody should hold off from the game because of the ending. The campaign is incredible, up until about halfway through the ending cutscenes, hahaha. I'm not kidding. This is coming from a Mass Effect 1 > Mass Effect 2 person, also.

99% of Mass Effect 3 is incredible. Including the addictive multiplayer. Buy it.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Remember that link Teancum gave us of Angry Joe describing why we hate the ending?

Well, here is another from the same guy, about the theory about the ending.
Hidden/Spoiler:
It's made me believe in the Indoctrination Theory with a confident certainty.
ME3 Indoctrination Theory & DLC "Ending" Proof

Now, I agree with him 100% here. Please give it a watch, there's no reason not to unless you don't want spoilers. I hope the DLC proves this theory, and either Bioware intended it to be like this from the beginning or they take this idea and use it. Like he said, this one's on us Bioware.
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

Ive played through all three endings now and i am also not satisfied.
Hidden/Spoiler:
first there is the catalyst, which is apparently the creator of the galaxy living within the citadel which is a part of it
i would have accepted the whole new "twist" if it wasnt for the choices and how they were presented. this godlike entity has absolutely no connection to them. it oversees the order of the galaxy and suddenly a puny human comes along and it lets him decide the future of the galaxy with three incredible crude and outofplace technical devices?
needless to say i dont like too much how the results of the choice werent presented and you could not see how your friends would live, but i could have accepted that if the choices were more elaborate, like in deus ex: hr.
your really just had two choices. either unite organics and synthetics or "remove" synthetics. the first one being the only solution to the problem. the later would only work for a limited time thus you have no choice at all if you want to save the galaxy.
of course the three games are amazing and i had a great time playing them but the end of a story always sticks, no matter how good the story was.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

More or less you're spot on DUCK.

@Wulf:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Joe's video does a good job of encouraging you to believe it's real, and I hope it is too because things would make a whole lot more sense. I remember reading some where that Casey Hudson is a pretty sharp guy, but at times he just jumps everyone and forgets to provide enough information for everyone to keep up with him so that could be an explanation of how the ending ended up that way.
And after watching it I think Bioware was thinking the fans would react as OOOO OMG WHAT JUST HAPPENED. WHAT WILL BE THE NEXT ADVENTURE. Be more mystified speculation instead of this pure hate. But the key part that stopped that from happening is the "END OF A TRILOGY" part. Ya we expect DLC because that's how the industry works now, but if an ending DLC was preplanned that's just dumb. Even more so if it will be charged for.
Dinomight
Private Recruit

Post by Dinomight »

@moving target

Well before release bioware said that they had a dlc plan that no one would believe.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Moving_Target wrote:but if an ending DLC was preplanned that's just dumb. Even more so if it will be charged for.
Why? And you really expect a large-scale game developer to release content that its employees worked hard on, for a salary, paid by that large-scale game developer, to be completely free of charge?
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Marth8880 wrote:Why? And you really expect a large-scale game developer to release content that its employees worked hard on, for a salary, paid by that large-scale game developer, to be completely free of charge?
Moving_Target wrote:if an ending DLC was preplanned
People already paid for the game, why charge more for stuff that was going to be put in the game since before the release? I realize there's a whole deadline process, but if the ending DLC is preplanned, that makes two preplanned DLCs, an extra $20. Delay the game for Pete's sake, don't wring the fanbase for money by selling them an incomplete game, then charging them for things you wanted to put in, but "didn't have time."
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

@marth: do you mean that as general statement or is it irony on the subjetc of an ending dlc? because i cant imagine anything more ironic than a good ending you have to pay for.
imagine watching return of the jedi in the cinema. when vader charges for sidius and throws him into the shaft the movie black out and the credits roll. then a clerk comes in and says "that was the story of how luke skywalker became a legend. if you want to learn how his story ended, pay an extra 3$ and proceed to hall 3 where you can see the last 7 minutes of the movie."
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

DarthD.U.C.K. wrote: imagine watching return of the jedi in the cinema. when vader charges for sidius and throws him into the shaft the movie black out and the credits roll. then a clerk comes in and says "that was the story of how luke skywalker became a legend. if you want to learn how his story ended, pay an extra 3$ and proceed to hall 3 where you can see the last 7 minutes of the movie."
I'd say a more accurate analogy would be if 20th Century Fox gave Lucas a deadline, Lucas hadn't quite finished those last 7 minutes when the deadline came, but Fox took what he had, anyway, and published the movie. Then they tell Lucas to finish, and some time after RotJ was released, they put out those last 7 minutes, charging the viewers more money to see it.

And the entire issue could be avoided if someone said, "Give me more time."
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Marth8880 wrote:Why? And you really expect a large-scale game developer to release content that its employees worked hard on, for a salary, paid by that large-scale game developer, to be completely free of charge?
People already paid for the game, why charge more for stuff that was going to be put in the game since before the release? I realize there's a whole deadline process, but if the ending DLC is preplanned, that makes two preplanned DLCs, an extra $20. Delay the game for Pete's sake, don't wring the fanbase for money by selling them an incomplete game, then charging them for things you wanted to put in, but "didn't have time."
Because fans never complain when games are delayed. :roll:
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Marth8880 wrote:
Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Because fans never complain when games are unfinished at release. :roll:

It's a catch-22. And EA chose the option where they got the most money.
Take a lesson from Valve. Delay games, but be nice to the consumer. They'll hate you before the release, then love you after. Which is MUCH better than the other way around.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Marth8880 wrote:
Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Because fans never complain when games are unfinished at release. :roll:

It's a catch-22. And EA chose the option where they got the most money.
Take a lesson from Valve. Delay games, but be nice to the consumer. They'll hate you before the release, then love you after. Which is MUCH better than the other way around.
If everybody is so hot-headed about the issue, they shouldn't complain, but instead find a job in the field and work their way up to change things. That's how the world works.

And the game is finished; people just don't agree with the endings they were given.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Marth8880 wrote: And the game is finished; people just don't agree with the endings they were given.
Every time you have responded, you have forgotten that the main point of this discussion is "if this DLC was preplanned."