Naboo: Selton

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Naboo: Selton

Post by AQT »

Update 12/26/2017

Greetings all. Here's another one of my old projects that was never finished nor released! :o

It is being worked on again (for now). I had stopped working on this map mainly because: 1) Clone Wars era was crashing, probably due to something related to the sides, and 2) the map was too symmetrical. Originally, I began work on this map in the same year shortly after Venus was released for the Sol Map Pack, and that one was symmetrical, so I thought I would continue the formula. Now, though, it felt a little boring and repetitive.

For the past month I changed some things up a bit to make things less symmetrical but without changing the map design up too drastically. That, along with major cosmetic changes are the results so far below:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Sides will get a major overhaul from scratch-ish. Hopefully no more crashing! :)

Original Post from 06/02/2012
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hello everyone. This is a map I started about two weeks ago. It shares its name with this city on Naboo. As you can see, it hardly has any background information, so it's perfect for the partially non-canon setting of this map! The design of the map was inspired by Old Towne Orange.

Here are some screenshots:
Here is an overview of the custom sides, which are an updated version of the sides featured in the Naboo portion of the Exile's Voyage mod.

Empire

Imperial Novatrooper
Weapons: E-11 Blaster Rifle, SE-14r Side Arm Blaster, Thermal Detonators

Imperial Dark Novatrooper
Weapons: DC-15A Blaster Rifle, PTL Missile Launcher, Thermal Detonators, Proximity Mines

Imperial Storm Commando
Weapons: DLT-19 Sniper Rifle, Scout Blaster Pistol, Thermal Detonators, Detpacks

Imperial Stormtrooper Medic
Weapons: E-11 Blaster Carbine, F-187 Fusion Cutter, Dispenser Health & Ammo, Health Regen

Imperial Novatrooper Commander
Weapons: Imperial Heavy Repeater, SE-14r Side Arm Blaster, Rally (Increase Defense)

Imperial Inquisitorium Dark Trooper
Weapons: Assault Pistol, Electrostaff

Hero: Captain Okto
Weapons: FC-1 Flechette Launcher, F-187 Fusion Cutter, Proximity Mines, Rage (Increase Damage)

Local Allies: Imperial Stormtroopers
Weapons: E-11 Blaster Rifle

Vehicles: Imperial AT-ST Walkers (Just like in SWBF1)
Rebels

Crack Rebel Soldier
Weapons: A280 Blaster Rifle, DL-18 Blaster Pistol, Thermal Detonators

Rebel SpecForce Marine
Weapons: DH-17 Blaster Carbine, E-11 Arc Caster, Wrist Rockets, Detpacks

Rebel Bothan Spy
Weapons: DXR-6 Disruptor Rifle, DL-18 Blaster Pistol, Thermal Detonators, Stealth

Rebel Mon Calamari Engineer
Weapons: CR-1 Blast Cannon, F-187 Fusion Cutter, Dispenser Health & Ammo, Proximity Mines

Fatigued Rebel Officer
Weapons: DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol, V-6d Mortar Launcher, Rage (Increase Damage)

Rebel SpecOps Commando
Weapons: A295 Blaster Rifle, HH-15 Missile Launcher, EC Detonators, Auto Turrets

Hero: Karag Drakas
Weapons: Karag's Lightsaber, Saber Throw, Force Push

Local Allies: Naboo Security Guards
Weapons: CR-2 Blaster Rifle

Vehicles: Naboo V-19 Landspeeders (Just like in SWBF1)
There might be a campaign to tell the story of the conflict going on here, so stay tuned for any updates on that. :)
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Naboo: Selton

Post by Marth8880 »

Looks could, AQT~ ^^
MawDrallin
Private Third Class
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: BF2-EAW-RC

Post by MawDrallin »

Cool concept, looks nice, but with Captain Orko (or whatever his name is), I think his Flechette Launcher needs to be down-sized somewhat, because right now it just looks big and obnoxious. Just my 2 credits.
RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Designated Days + LFC + GT vs SWBFC
Games I'm Playing :: FO3 + FO New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Master Revan

Post by RevanSithLord »

MawDrallin wrote:Cool concept, looks nice, but with Captain Orko (or whatever his name is), I think his Flechette Launcher needs to be down-sized somewhat, because right now it just looks big and obnoxious. Just my 2 credits.
I thought the FC-1 was generally big and obnoxious canonically as it was. :lol: I think the size is great to be honest. Typically when I see it, it's too small.

Just my opinion of course. Not meaning to sound like I'm shooting yours down. :)
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Looks really cool, as I expected from you. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the progress should there be any changes before release. :thumbs:
AcaelusThorne
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: Republic Commando Side Mod
Games I'm Playing :: SWBII
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by AcaelusThorne »

Well I must admit it looks quite nabooish imo like other maps where before and which is good since that is the aim of the map. But since all your other maps always where a blast, I think your layout could make the difference.
Also I like the new banners and the fact that both teams got locals because that shows the player is not the main person in the conflict. He is just helping the locals because he is against the empire/rebels. I find this feeling was missing in SwbII. I always thought "ok so what am I doing here ? Why should I fight right here ?" I know that the campaign gives all this explenations but I think it gives a nice touch for conquest anyway.
A d for the FC-1 I think it looks good like it is.
Looks nice till now. I will having an eye on this too :wink:
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Marth8880 wrote:Looks could, AQT~ ^^
Thx ^^
MawDrallin wrote:but with Captain Orko (or whatever his name is)
Gee, I have his name written as it should be in the first post... it's not like I said it verbally...

As for the FC-1 Flechette Launcher model, I'm fine with its size.

@AcaelusThorne: Thanks for your input. And eh, I don't think the layout is anything special, although it is symmetrical.

Thanks to everyone else for their comments. :)
lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by lucasfart »

Looks quite nice AQT! I like your retexture of that flag - it looks really well done. :thumbs:

My only suggestion, from those screens, would be to fix up the shadows on some of those props. The park bench and the trees in the garden bed really should have shadows, as just about everything else does too. That's only minor however. It looks nice otherwise. :thumbs:

Also a suggestion might be some new/random environments, like a night version, a snowy version (non-canon), rainy version etc. That might be a bit hard to pull of/not what you're going for, but it might help it seem a bit less like an ordinary, bland naboo map.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

all in one it's a great map hope it will releas soon
lucasfart
Sith
Sith

Post by lucasfart »

Anakin wrote:All in all it's a great map. I hope it'll be released soon.
Fixed :wink:
AirspeedRedux
Private Second Class
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by AirspeedRedux »

It brightens my day when I see a new map in progress, it looks really nice and your custom sides and maps have been a joy to play in the past, so I'm excited to give this one a go!
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

AirspeedRedux wrote:It brightens my day when I see a new map in progress
Yeah, right?! :D
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Post by yuke5 »

Well, you have never made a map I didn't enjoy greatly and re-play regularly. I anticipate that this map is no exception. I'm really looking forward to the release.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Is Captain Archer going to pop up again?
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront - Tides of War
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 RC EAW
xbox live or psn: I have ps4

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

Looking great AQT. :) Other than the sides, what will make this map different from the other 100 Naboo City Maps we've seen?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

My guess is the layout and the fact that most of the props are re-textured (I think, I know the banners are).
MawDrallin
Private Third Class
Games I'm Playing :: BF2-EAW-RC

Post by MawDrallin »

AQT wrote:
MawDrallin wrote:but with Captain Orko (or whatever his name is)
Gee, I have his name written as it should be in the first post... it's not like I said it verbally...
Sorry, I was a little sleepy when I posted that.
AirspeedRedux
Private Second Class
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by AirspeedRedux »

In the top left of the first picture, is that a gun emplacement AQT?

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I eat up just about every well done Naboo map out there, I guess I just like the urban, yet not overly urban, feel of those props + fountains + waterways and whatnot.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

@Lucasfart: Thanks for catching the shadows issue. The benches have them now, but the trees won't because they would end up with blocky leaf shadows. As for randomized enviroments, I think I will include an early morning one and an evening one. Anything but nighttime Naboo! (Considering most of the Imperials have dark armor.)

@Yuke: Maybe. :wink: I'm still deciding whose side to tell the story in the campaign from, so there's a chance Archer might just embark on another mission again...

@Nate: As I had written in the first post and in my response to Yuke just now, there will be a campaign mode or two. Hopefully, that will distinguish this map from all other Naboo maps currently out there.

@AirspeedRedux: Yes, yes it is. It's one of eight Imperial turbolaser turrets on the map. They are merely props, but I'm hoping that with their presence (along with the new banners on the lamp posts) will bring a feeling of Imperial occupation in this Naboo town. The campaign mission will expand more on this.

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. :)
lucasfart
Sith
Sith

Post by lucasfart »

AQT wrote:@Lucasfart: Thanks for catching the shadows issue. The benches have them now, but the trees won't because they would end up with blocky leaf shadows. As for randomized enviroments, I think I will include an early morning one and an evening one. Anything but nighttime Naboo! (Considering most of the Imperials have dark armor.)
Awesome. :) With the blocky leaf shadows, couldn't you just do a big, flat shadow which doesn't really include individual leaves?

I'm glad you're going to add some different environments. I was actually thinking of suggesting an early morning one, as that's hardly ever done. It's totally up to you, but I think it could be awesome to have a really slight early morning mist, just to make it seem fresh. Also, on a harder note, what about a little dew? I'm not really sure if that's possible though...

Just curious - what will be the differences between morning and evening environments? And how far are you actually in the production of this thing?
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

I was actually using the .msh.option -hiresshadow to create the shadow since using a modeling program is not an option for me.

As for the difference between early morning and the evening, one will appear more blue and colder than the other, whereas one will appear more orange and warmer, among other things. And I cannot do dew.

As for the progress of the map, if I include a load screen and a mini-map and release it now, it would probably be pretty decent.