The Gametoast Obituaries

If your posts do not relate to Star Wars post them here. Link to other sites should also have some information, no spam/virus sites.

Remember to read the rules and NO FORUM GAMES.

Moderator: Moderators

THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: The Gametoast Obituaries

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I'm with AQT though, you need to be very careful how you word things when it comes to people dying. A wrong phrase can hurt a lot of people.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

ARCTroopaNate wrote:it seems to me at least that death and other horrors is all the media focuses on these days
Such stories have been in the media since the dawn of news reporting. You either don't seek out and get informed enough with current events, or when you do you mainly focus on the ones dealing with death and similar horrors.
I don't think he was attempting to crack a wise joke there.
Well, if he wasn't, then here's his chance to claim that he was being ignorant.
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront - Tides of War
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 RC EAW
xbox live or psn: I have ps4

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

Please don't tell me that I don't follow current events. I'm 13 years old and follow current events much more then most adults do, just saying. Secondly , I don't try to focus on those types of things, but whenever I turn on the news that's all there is, negative stuff.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

ARCTroopaNate wrote:Secondly , I don't try to focus on those types of things, but whenever I turn on the news that's all there is, negative stuff.
You claim to follow current events, yet all you see is this negative stuff? :? You are either lying or over exaggerating.
willinator
Major
Major
Projects :: [Coming of the Sentinels]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft Halo
xbox live or psn: PC pwns all!

Post by willinator »

Well, Nate is partially right. When people look at current events via news stations or news websites, the headlines are usually one of two things: 1, a disaster/catastrophe of some sort, or B, (if it's an election year), information related to a candidate for political office. And, most of the time, it's these stories that get the most media attention. People only stay on a channel, or a webpage because they see something. Statistically, negative news or political news tend to attract more attention from the average viewer. However, all the other news will appear either on the little ticker along the bottom of the T.V. screen, or on the miscellaneous articles section of the website. In other words, the majority of covered news is negative. Also, the above applys to newspapers as well, usually the negative/political stuff is on the front page, with other stuff later.

Now, to be back on topic, let us mourn the severe loss of life happening in Syria. Not taking any sides here, just recognizing the loss of life.
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

Yes, let's not let this turn into a personal discussion. RIP to all those who have died in Syria.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

@willinator: Who doesn't already know that negative news garner the attention of people easily, and that's why the media mainly focuses on it? :? This has been going on for ages and is not a recently new trend, contrary to what [TFA]Padawan_Fighter thinks. No one is denying this, but to claim as a fact that that is all the media focuses on and still be "partially" right is absolutely absurd.
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

"most of the time" "majority" "usually" were words he used.

He never said that it was a fact that that is all the media focuses on.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

I was referring to you.
ARCTroopaNate wrote:Secondly , I don't try to focus on those types of things, but whenever I turn on the news that's all there is, negative stuff.
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

Well please don't put @Willinator if you were referring to me, it'd make things less confusing, and yes, it was a hyperbole, you know what I meant.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

ARCTroopaNate wrote:@Willinator if you were referring to me, it'd make things less confusing
It was a response to him defending you, so the message contained you as a reference. It was directly for you. Maybe you should start reading things in context?
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

Please don't say that, you are not taking this in context either, like my hyperbole that started this discussion.

Now for the second time, let's try to get back on topic.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

I think everyone here is overreacting to a simple statement about how death is presented in the media and that we all need to take a step back and realize that we're all on the same side here. None of us likes to hear when this happens, and we all just want to pay our respects to the victims of this tragedy.
Last edited by Twilight_Warrior on Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

ARCTroopaNate wrote:Please don't say that, you are not taking this in context either
You make such bold claims, yet you don't ever elaborate. Please do before more people start misinterpreting you again.
like my hyperbole that started this discussion.
You started this discussion? It was Mr. "Funny Man" [TFA]Padawan_Fighter that started all this with his inconsiderate remark about death of all things in a thread about people who are no longer living. And knowing him via the posts he has made throughout the years, he was most likely trying to be funny. How about we just let him clear things up for himself, okay?

@Twilight_Warrior: Agreed for now...
[TFA]Padawan_Fighter
High General
High General
Projects :: Ha - as if I will ever get back to them
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 ARK EliteDngrs
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by [TFA]Padawan_Fighter »

Awh, sheesh, I didn't mean for it to turn out that way. I'm real sorry about the deaths of all the people in the theater and in no way did I want to make a joke or be sarcastic. I was being as serious as I could. Now I feel really bad that I appear to have been disrespectful and I am sorry.

ARCTroopaNate wrote:I don't think that's what he was saying, it seems to me at least that death and other horrors is all the media focuses on these days, so much to the point where watching the news is depressing. It's really unfortunate. I don't think he was attempting to crack a wise joke there.
That's exactly what I meant.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I'd ask Era why we have it then.

Personally I'm fine with this topic when people don't spam it. Not everything here has to be flowers and sunshine here on this site. Most of the time you can't contact the family. Why would they want to be contacted by random strangers anyway?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Why would they want to be contacted by random strangers anyway?
As long as people aren't ordering pizzas for the families... *cough* Charles Carreon *cough*
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

THEWULFMAN wrote:I'd ask Era why we have it then.
It was actually a merge from several "My [x] died" topics. Era just combined them per a discussion between staff.
THEWULFMAN wrote:Personally I'm fine with this topic when people don't spam it.
Oddly enough that's the purpose of this topic -- so the Off-Topic forum doesn't get spammed by [x] celebrity or [x] relative died topics.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I meant spam for this topic's standard of spam. Like a dozen posts about what Padawan_Fighter said.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Here's Jonathan Paula's video about the Midnight Massacre (what Seattle Times calls it; I personally like the name):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ4gFfPTLJ8&feature=plcp