World of Warplanes

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

[TFA]Padawan_Fighter
High General
High General
Projects :: Ha - as if I will ever get back to them
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 ARK EliteDngrs
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

World of Warplanes

Post by [TFA]Padawan_Fighter »

So me and a friend have been playing this game called War of Warplanes. Basically it's a combat flight simulator, and its mechanics are extremely fun. The first few moments I played, there were a lot of Hollywood moments. It's in beta right now and you can sign up for it.

Here's the home page:

http://worldofwarplanes.com/

So anyway my friend and I were playing on yet another match. Everybody was fighting much better than usual and I was dodging bullets left and right, eventually crashing into a hill. But in spectator mode, who do I find hauling butt on my enemy's side? WHO DO I FIND?!

FREAKING MAVERITCHELL.

Totally coincidental, I had no idea Mav was playing. He's flying all cool and I'm trying all sorts of attempts to get him to hear me, I'm so stoked. But naw man, he's too awesome to sit and respond as he kicks the butt of every last one of my team.

We were unable to find him again after that.

Addendum: Hi Mav! *giggly wave*
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: World of Warplanes

Post by Marth8880 »

*waits for THEMAVMAN's reply of some sort*
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I happen to play World of Tanks, and while I am interested in World of Warplanes, I'm far more interested in World of Warships that is coming out next year. I should at least check out Warplanes eventually, but WoT still has a lot left for me (I'm only Tier 4), and I want to wait till Warplanes is out of beta.

And it's Mav. Of course he'd kick everyone's butt.

Assuming that is "our" Mav, and not an impostor. It's happened.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Hey, yeah, I've been playing. I signed up for the closed beta a long time ago, and just got in the past couple of days. I'm a big fan of flight combat games, and my job is pretty much all working in flight simulators, so this is a game that crosses over a lot of what I do/like. I'm glad you saw me in a game I was doing well in, because I've had some pretty bad games too. I didn't see anyone try and talk, sorry if I missed you.

WoWp is pretty fun, but it has some of the same problems as World of Tanks, namely that lower tiers are nearly useless against higher tiers. It's not as bad, because there's more skill to flying than to driving around a tank, but it's still there.

If you want to play with me, I'd love to jump on TS/Skype/whatever and fly a bit with a group of people.
THEWULFMAN wrote:I'm far more interested in World of Warships that is coming out next year.
I can't imagine how that's going to work unless their interface is radically changed. WoT is already pretty slow in its gameplay, I can only guess that Warships would be the same, but slower and without any terrain to make things interesting. If they switch to a top-down view or do something crazy like adding submarine warfare, that might be interesting. I might have an inside line on seeing an early build of Warships through someone I work with, so hopefully I'll get a chance to peek eventually.
[TFA]Padawan_Fighter
High General
High General

Hahaha, sweet! That was really something when we saw you playing with us. We were like 'Whoah, that's Mav!' 'What? Where? WHOA!'

I'd love to get the chance to play again. Me and my friends are Xfire buddies; you could get on Xfire and join our room.

Back on topic (Even though half of it was about Mav anyway), has anyone had trouble controlling the planes? Like the joystick/keyboard/whatever felt rusty? For me, it's either super-gentle or a great big jerk in a certain direction. Kinda hard to gracefully aim the plane.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

[TFA]Padawan_Fighter wrote:Back on topic (Even though half of it was about Mav anyway), has anyone had trouble controlling the planes? Like the joystick/keyboard/whatever felt rusty? For me, it's either super-gentle or a great big jerk in a certain direction. Kinda hard to gracefully aim the plane.
I spent a bit calibrating mine to something that felt right (the default joystick setup is crazy sensitive), but even beyond that aiming is a really precise thing. The trick (if it can be called as much) is to use rudder yaw to gently move your plane into line with an enemy plane instead of trying to always set your nose on it with a roll.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

Totally just signed up for beta: Things learned in the survey; if you do something with your plane, it might explode.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

So I played this for a while, but then I quit due to frustration with the slowness of every plane's response to controls, but there's been a couple updates since then, so I gave it another try, and I think it's significantly improved.

http://worldofwarplanes.com/news/207-042-now-live/

EDIT:
I just reconfigured my joystick, and I am impressed with their axis options now. Instead of simply deadzone and sensitivity sliders, there is now a 2 dimensional grid where you can visually change the curve between physical and virtual positions of the joystick to set your own sensitivity curve.
[TFA]Padawan_Fighter
High General
High General

Really? That's gonna be a tremendous improvement. When I finally get back to my house in about a week I might give it a try.

I was also looking into War Thunder but never actually downloaded it yet...
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Do try War Thunder as well. I've made a separate thread for it.

EDIT: Information about the next update.

http://worldofwarplanes.com/news/225-de ... 43-update/

Short version, some new planes, some planes getting rid of, some planes moving around the tech trees, some planes having crossover research to other trees, crew skill intro, reduction of tracer fx. And also some information about rewards for alpha/beta testers.